Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know! I snagged a elocked, axled, donor 80 for a reason, glad they'll hold up.
Thanks Morgan!
You're running part-time hubs, right?
Yes i have part timed my transfer case and run manual hubs.

I started to legitimize my measuring of how the cab needs to sit. The way I have it sitting now is 1.5" lower than it should. The 75 rear cab mount sits 1" above frame rail as the 80 sits .5" below. This is measuring from the flat part under the cup. Today I will raise up the body and see how the hood fits. Thing is getting big fast. Right now frame hight is almost 3" taller than the 80 but have plenty of weight still to add on.
IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

Also noticed a weird measurement in the factory service manual for the 75 frame. It shows 68.562 from the rear cab mount (E) to the front fender mount (A) which isn't even close as you can see in the photo.
IMG_0971.JPG

fullsizeoutput_8e3.jpeg

Finally decided to pull the trigger on some of the gauges. I still need speedo, tach, and fuel but I am pretty set on Speedhut on those when the time comes. For EGT, boost, oil pressure, water temp, battery 1, and battery 2 will be from Auber Instruments. They are small, programmable and easy on the budget.
Automobile Multimeter for EGT, Boost, Red [SYL-1813R] - $49.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry
I really wanted to get all the diesel related gauges in the main cluster instead of putting them out of view. Fuel will be the only one that won't fit. It will go in the altimeter pod. it may look a bit like Night Rider but that's okay with me.
fullsizeoutput_8e8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8e7.jpeg

More inside work as I haven’t been motivated to get dirty out in the garage. The Auber gauges came in so I started fooling around with them. Mocked up a piece of plastic (going to cut the final piece on the CNC at work) to start programming. These gauges are pretty neat. They are all the same gauge but can be programmed to suite any sensor or probe. I literally change my mind everyday on what I want to look at in the cluster. As of today I will have EGT, oil temp, and water temp on the right. On the left will be boost, oil pressure and fuel pressure. Moving fuel level gauge and two battery voltage gauges on the altimeter pod still leaving me two open spaces in the pod for two more gauges if I want. I wish Auber made a fuel gauge to match.
The two speed hut gauges will be black faced with red lettering to match everything else.
AAEDB8D4-22BB-45CD-B815-8700CEEB1C80.jpeg

Dude, this da bomb. Nice work!! I am looking forward to seeing you and the beast at SAS3....or sooner at the Magic Barn.

I started to legitimize my measuring of how the cab needs to sit. The way I have it sitting now is 1.5" lower than it should. The 75 rear cab mount sits 1" above frame rail as the 80 sits .5" below. This is measuring from the flat part under the cup. Today I will raise up the body and see how the hood fits. Thing is getting big fast. Right now frame hight is almost 3" taller than the 80 but have plenty of weight still to add on.
View attachment 1861838
View attachment 1861839

Also noticed a weird measurement in the factory service manual for the 75 frame. It shows 68.562 from the rear cab mount (E) to the front fender mount (A) which isn't even close as you can see in the photo.
View attachment 1861847
View attachment 1861840

Do you think the 6 and 8 are switched by accident where reading should be 86?

Do you think the 6 and 8 are switched by accident where reading should be 86?
Could be. I noticed the numbers differ among what manual I look at. Using two manuals I have found correct numbers but it’s weird that they vary.

Last edited:
How are you going to label the gauges? Seems a bit of information overload when you first look at them.

How are you going to label the gauges? Seems a bit of information overload when you first look at them.
Don't know yet. I have a few ideas.

Cool.

Where did you get the diff lock decal?

Your gauge arrangement kind of makes sense. I think I'd look at keeping boost, and EGT together as they are interrelated. They are something I would look at together
I made in a word doc because I don't have any real CAD programs available to me. I won't be using it due to size of my LED lights. As for my layout I am going with temps on the left and pressures on the right. Everyday it changes and I have months to go before it is drivable.
Here is the updated current layout. Once I make sure my measurement are correct I may add a few more things like parking brake and a warning light for gauges. The turn signals and high beam I found on Amazon. They already have the symbols build in. We will be cutting a test piece on Monday.
fullsizeoutput_8ed.jpeg

Once I make sure my measurement are correct I may add a few more things like parking brake and a warning light for gauges.

By warning light, do you mean a light that would go on at a set point on the gauge? I think that's a good idea - particularly with all the gauges being the same. Personally, I like analog gauges because your eye tends to notice a needle in a different position but you have to think about the numbers you're seeing. I've seen digital gauges where you can have a setpoint where it triggers a warning light.

By warning light, do you mean a light that would go on at a set point on the gauge? I think that's a good idea - particularly with all the gauges being the same. Personally, I like analog gauges because your eye tends to notice a needle in a different position but you have to think about the numbers you're seeing. I've seen digital gauges where you can have a setpoint where it triggers a warning light.
Each gauge has a small warning light on it that can have a low and high setting. They also have output for buzzer. Auber sells a warning light/buzzer but it would need a off switch added because it sounds annoying. But I guess that’s the point to get your attention.

Pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom