Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interesting thread. Before painting I use no name brand white gas to remove oils. When it dries it leaves no residue and a gallon goes a long way for cleaning. I've found unless you scratch that chrome stuff for the paint to grab it seems to flake off all too easy. Last one I sprayed with a cheap one step bedliner and held up much better. Had a lumpy texture though.

This interior cowl insulation was another thing I attempted to clean yesterday. It looks much better than it did when it was coated with mine dust that had turned to hardened mud. I’m going to spray it again with soapy water this afternoon. Hopefully the nasty carpet stuff holds up to be able to go back in the truck.
4465C97A-8E99-4614-B3DE-8938D7A03118.jpeg

Thinking around 1:30pm. We’ll be pulling an all-nighter though, so anytime is good if you can make it.

Thinking around 1:30pm. We’ll be pulling an all-nighter though, so anytime is good if you can make it.
I'll try to make it. I need to pick Jim brain on a few things regarding body work.

I’m taking Dave’s advise and taking everything to blaster.

It's the sort of thing that if you don't do it now, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it for years to come.

I GOT PARTS!!!
Trip to @joekatana yesterday was most excellent. I got most of what I needed to make the truck look respectable and also got some good 70 series knowledge.
The windshield frame still needs some work but its a 1000% upgrade of the frame I had plus it has glass! I didn't really need the grill but the old school "Toyota" badging on metal is much better than the plastic new style.
IMG_0522.JPG

New rocker panels.
IMG_0521.JPG

Lots of small stuff that I didn't have or upgraded from what I had. Pedals, lights, trans cover, wiper arms, blinker/wiper switch, altimeter pod, and hood latch.
IMG_0523.JPG

This may be one of the few new pieces that go in this build. It won't go in until I pull the trigger on a new roof. I won't dare put it on the roof I currently have that looks like a cement truck ran it over.
IMG_0524.JPG

And last but not least some doors. One will need to be modified from round corner to angled. This truck is going to look sweet with all the different colors before it goes in for paint.
IMG_0527.JPG

If it wan't for Joe I would have never thought to use this piece to fix the hole I currently have. I was thinking I was going to have to make a custom piece to fill the hole but now I can just cut out the section I need and weld it in.
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

Nice score, Cim!

That's awesome, Cim. It must be nice having an asset like Joe in the area. You would be spending 1,500+ hours on body work if you tried to straighten that mess out. Sounds like all you need now are a hood and cab top.
The hood will be my testing piece to see how capable I am at body work. I'm not holding my breath that I have the skills.

If you screw it up you know where to find a replacement ;)
As long as it’s a different color. I can’t have anything matching or it will look respectable.

Today was hot and not fun. I man handled the LX onto the work area, with help using my Kaw Mule, to start the removal of the body since the 75 cab is at the blaster. I forgot I stole the tie rod for my 80 so it was fun doing the 50 point turn to get it from behind my shop. It also has no steering column at the moment so it took manually turning both front tires to move it.
0AF19B2E-C467-4095-929A-C0B214C1E061.jpeg

Photo of the day. Nothing spectacular other than a bit more progress. I have been taking a photo from the same location every time I take something off and eventually adding something. Hopefully it will be a nice time lapse by the end of this build.
33F8FB5E-A43D-4A54-B9A6-7157D028F073.jpeg

Nice. Can I have your AC compressor and hoses?

Nice. Can I have your AC compressor and hoses?
I sold the compressor at some point. I have the soft line you can have. One of the hard lines will be transplanted into my 80 since my EGT probe wire rubbed a hole in it.

Enjoyed reading this thread Cim.

I wish I had the time to take on something like that but work and health issues has been consuming more and more of my time lately. Can't wait to see what the outcome will be. :)

Enjoyed reading this thread Cim.

I wish I had the time to take on something like that but work and health issues has been consuming more and more of my time lately. Can't wait to see what the outcome will be. :)
I wish had something as good as yours to start with.

Tub is back from blasting and primer. I was pleased to not see anything I didn’t already know about. I will be keeping it at work for the next few weeks so I can do the fixes there in the evening. My compressor at home won’t keep up with air tools needed. Plus it’s indoors!
50777EC7-91FE-4DCF-B9C3-6F3AE5F53E8B.jpeg

Floor pans.
38FC3259-B728-4AB3-B48C-64D9F51219F0.jpeg
5E2C1F2E-7246-42B8-89AC-D21A36A65B14.jpeg
61CE4BFF-2174-46E5-9E4A-4808B35CD128.jpeg

This is the worst of the rear section. Handful of pin holes.
EA545ECD-F0EA-4AFC-A01D-7A8C2C29CDAE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom