70 Blue Chuck Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. With that info I'll get the parts ordered. Did you drill holes in the backing plate to install the brake shoe retaining pin/spring or just run without like it was originally?

My 67 does not have the hole but my 68 does.

Have you checked out www.Rainmansbrakelines.com?

Here are the new wheel cylinders on the front driver's side.

brakes-fr-ds1.jpg

Here's the backside and original T fitting. The original cylinders had a banjo bolt with a junction for the brake line. The banjo bolt does not fit in the new cylinders so I'll need to run the brake line directly from the T fitting to the wheel cylinders. I had purchased some short, pre-made brake lines from Napa with the fully threaded 10mm fitting. The fully threaded fitting does not fit correctly in the T fitting. When hand tightened you can move the brake line up and down a little bit with the fitting threaded in and that does not happen with the original fittings that have the non-threaded lead. Second pic shows the the Napa and original fittings.

brakes-fr-ds2.jpg

brake-fittings.jpg

I went ahead and ordered both, here's a picture of the various fittings. From left to right, original, Fedhill part #M1-3, Fedhill part #M5-3 and a pre-made line from Napa.

fittings.jpg

My first line, not super pretty but should work.

brakeline.jpg

Lines built for the front, here's a pic of the driver's side. There could be an issue if I have to adjust the steering stops but it's about where it was originally so I don't think there will be a problem. It's looking like using the newer wheel cylinders is going to work, just taking some time to build all of the lines and it helped that I already had a couple of elbow fittings to replace the front t-fitting and the second for the new rear circuit. Knuckle cleanup/rebuild will happen some other time.

front-ds.JPG

Fired up the "rebuilt" 2f for the first time today. Wanted to run it for the initial 20 minute break in process but oil pressure seemed high and I had a coolant leak out of the rear heater. Oil pressure was at 60 psi on a mechanical gauge which I think is higher than normal for a 2f but after a mud search others have had that high of pressure after a rebuild. Still some cleanup of the wiring to be done once I know it runs okay but here is how the 2f looks now.

2f.jpg

I hope to be testing those brakes soon. Ran the initial break-in for 15 minutes. Oil pressure was just below 60psi and vacuum at 18 while I was at, I think, between 1,500 - 2,000 rpm. I did have to stop a minute into the process to tighten up a fuel line. I plan on mounting the vacuum gauge on the other side of the steering column.

breakin.JPG

Pretty happy with the exhaust sound, exhaust tubing kit off of Amazon and a Dynomax muffler. Picture strategically taken to not show any of my welds.

exhaust.JPG

My oil pressures high and no problems

I need the link to the exhaust kit....

I ended up with extra tubing and had to shorten some of the angled pieces to fit correctly. I didn't figure this out until I was almost done but cutting the U pieces in half, then rotating to the shape needed and welding back together was a good way to get the correct shape. Tried to post just links but it keeps loading the Amazon preview crap. The clamps I used just for the connections to the muffler to make the install easier.

Amazon product ASIN B01I47IFC0Amazon product ASIN B078TZ2G9T
Muffler - Amazon.com: Dynomax 17613 Installer Turbo Muffler: Automotive

The power steering setup I ended up with is a FJ60 power steering pump and (I believe) a Scout steering gearbox. The fitting on the gearbox is an 11/16 flared fitting. I'm on the search for an adapter that converts the 11/16 female fitting on the gearbox to a 16mm female fitting that accepts the FJ60 power steering pressure hose. Anyone know if that type of adapter is available? I have not had any luck searching so I sent a request to Cruiser Brothers today to see if they have anything. I'm not very close to a hydraulic shop to easily have a custom hose made but will do that if necessary.

Thanks, I'll check that site. Georg with Cruiser Brothers also replied already and they might be able to build a custom hose.

Working on relocating the air cleaner since the power steering pump is in the way and it sounds like the older hoods don't have the clearance for the 2f air cleaner. The holes from these 78 FJ55 shackles line up perfectly for the head bolts and the air cleaner mount.

relocate-air.JPG

Also realized I routed my exhaust straight out the back, straight into where a bumper would be if one were installed, two steps forward, one step back, lol.

Does anyone have a pic of where the connector shown below should be connected? The second picture shows how it looked when the pig was purchased, looks like something is missing from the fender. This is a 1970 and the wiring diagram says the yellow/red wire is part of the fuel sender gauge circuit.

connector.JPG

connector2.JPG

Was that the location of the emissions “computer”? Sorry I don’t have a diagram handy, or a picture...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom