Builds 60 Frankenstein Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_9944.JPG
Available 2F. New clutch, front and rear crank shaft seals, valve cover gasket, lifter cover gasket and every other seal is new. Just had terrible blow by :)

Seriously...I tried to save this one but it will get repurposed.

Looks like a lot of fun! And even time to text me AND have a beer!

IMG_9964.JPG
Looks like a lot of fun! And even time to text me AND have a beer!
This one is fun. All bolted in. Tranny stabbed on first attempt. Only had that happen one time before. It took Ryan and I 2 1/2 hours to stab this same trans 6 months ago.

IMG_9972.JPG
Good news is it fired up on the first attempt. Some minor details left and this thing is out of the shop and then on to the 12HT prep work.

IMG_9975.JPG
Wow nice work Jim!
Thanks Cody. Test drive went great. Turning the keys back to the youngest one. MJ is getting the diesel out and starting his thing. I'm getting on the T-case as I'll be picking up a H55 on Monday.

IMG_9980.JPG
IMG_9978.JPG
A little disappointed to find out the upper cooling lines are different between these two motors. The Coaster bus motor has a steel intake pipe and I was going to swap over the aluminum ones from the other motor (came out of a HJ61). Unfortunately the CB lines don't have the built in bracket towards the front to bolt down the pipe. Not sure if this is available still but I shot @beno an email. If it's not then I'll go with the original setup for install and then get the lines from the 61 re-plated.

IMG_9990.JPG
IMG_9991.JPG
IMG_9992.JPG
IMG_9993.JPG
IMG_9994.JPG
A better update today. McGuire is doing the lower end seals and I'm redoing the T-Case to go with this new in the box H55. I guess the 12HT truly has never been run on the road.

So jealous... after the long trip I took this weekend running 70mph at anywhere from 2500-3k rpm range (mainly hanging out at about 2650ish on the flats) I would LOVE a 5spd at this point. Flogging the old girl for 2hrs straight at those rpms makes me cringe a bit, but she did pull 13.7mpg so can't complain too much.

So jealous... after the long trip I took this weekend running 70mph at anywhere from 2500-3k rpm range (mainly hanging out at about 2650ish on the flats) I would LOVE a 5spd at this point. Flogging the old girl for 2hrs straight at those rpms makes me cringe a bit, but she did pull 13.7mpg so can't complain too much.
The H55 is well worth it. Especially if you're pulling your four speed for any maintenance etc.

The H55 is well worth it. Especially if you're pulling your four speed for any maintenance etc.
Yeah it is convincing the boss about that. I know my rear main leaks slightly and my t-case could use a refresh but coming up with $3k for the 5spd and squeezing that by the boss.... that will be a feat unto its own!! LOL

Yeah it is convincing the boss about that. I know my rear main leaks slightly and my t-case could use a refresh but coming up with $3k for the 5spd and squeezing that by the boss.... that will be a feat unto its own!! LOL
The 'boss'... I take it you mean your wife. Jeepers, again, another perk to being single. ;)

Felicity, you are the ultimate boss :). And you have the know how to go with it. If you get the opportunity to pick up a 5-speed you'll absolutely love it.

And Greg, sounds like it's time to create that " slush fund". Every other week I shave some off the top and slide it into the cruiser account. Of course that's after I take care of other obligations :)

Thanks Jim. I know I 'could' but like Greg, finding an extra 3k would be the hardest part for me. So for now I'm good w/ my 4. I don't do long distance trips much tho I'd be all over it... it's just not in the cards now w/ my parenting schedule w/ my ex and my son being so young. I'm okay w/ it. At 43 I still have time.... (famous last words, right?) ;)

And Greg, sounds like it's time to create that " slush fund". Every other week I shave some off the top and slide it into the cruiser account. Of course that's after I take care of other obligations :)

Oh yeah that is already in the works.. Unfortunately the broken leg/medical bills put a dent in that.

IMG_0013.JPG
Man this is Pretty! Not sure what's better looking...the inside of that motor or the new h55 with the rebuilt case hanging off the back. I got lucky and did some t case research just as I was bolting up the front half of the case to the trans. Found one of @orangefj45 posts about the hole that needs plugged in late 60 cases. I would have definitely missed this one. Plugged it with a 1/4" plug. Also, had a hell of a time getting the back half of the case on then figured out the thrust washer would not fit over the idler shaft. Had to file the inside tabs down a bit. All worked out once I did that. I'll keep at it as I'm on PTO this week. Trying to get as much done while my oldest is home for spring break. Problem is he's been gone (hanging with friends) more than he's been here. Oh well...part of turning into "the old man" :)
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom