60/62 side marker lights, upgrade V2. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NO billit LAMP or LENS , OEM JAPAN KOITO UV Rated NYLON .........

only the LED BULBS them selves are BILLIT
Might be a bit of an initial investment but that might be something we could get 3D scanned, CAD and billet pieces made. . .talking about the baseplate as a lower cost alternative to the rigid lights.

Might be a bit of an initial investment but that might be something we could get 3D scanned, CAD and billet pieces made. . .talking about the baseplate as a lower cost alternative to the rigid lights.

my lamps are a rubber oem toyota base ?

it seals out water

not sure about metal on a painted surface ?

Its not the sun that ruins the OEM side markers as much as other things, The red rear side markers on our FJ60's dont seem to have this same crumbling issue that the front ambers have, or at-least not as much. Its the heat from both the bulb and the engine that kills these front side marker gaskets, Id bet that just putting in LED bulbs or anything that makes less heat would greatly increase the life span of the stock amber housing.

Making a billet housing could scratch the paint and introduce Galvanic corrosion which is less than ideal. Some sort of gasket would have to be placed between any billet housing and the fj60 body

Last edited:
I recall someone modifying the rear red sidemarker base and adapted it to fit the amber lens. Curious if the fender heat issues will also compromise the base as quickly.

I recall someone modifying the rear red sidemarker base and adapted it to fit the amber lens. Curious if the fender heat issues will also compromise the base as quickly.
I do think the rear red housing is thicker than the front, I bet it helps some.

This has been done and there is a thread on how to do it. Going off that thread I adapted rear housings for the front. As I recall the rear red lens needs to be cut from the base and the yellow front lens added, may need to be glued on. Did this a few years ago and the thicker rubber is holding up well.

This approach is not as slick as what Shane is working on.

FJ60 usa spec & BJ Canada Spec . had a 2 piece molded rubber bases on ft and rr side markers , pig tail molded into rubber also

NON-USA HJ and BJ NON-USA have a 3 pc side markers and separate pigtail assyy too all DISC> / NLA

all separate pieces like you folks are looking for ..........

see below Microfiche diagram :

1627773160965.png

Any chance this is in your skunkworks?

I CARRY these :

OEM TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS RED REAR SIDE MARKERS :

Updated LED Bullbs Equipped of course :

THEY WILL COME WITH THESE NEW BILLIT Aluminum RED LED BULBS as well

1627832930407.png

1627832844944.png

I just hand assembled these OEM toyota side marker lamps. Early this morning ….

polerized them fir my Billit Aluminum max lumen led pure yellow and jis red led bulbs

note the warm rich glow it’s simply feels right !

CF3DB5DF-BA44-40F3-9928-B0695B498F22.jpeg
A655EB12-38FB-42A9-8A65-ACCD5997B42E.jpeg
B4813F90-0CCD-4131-9FD5-8EE7C7FC16AF.jpeg
F3D4ED38-F834-4074-BC51-C0D8BFB22727.jpeg
E1638561-3C98-4DB7-8DAF-1695228637E4.jpeg
D6325D57-5CF7-4DDE-A4A3-05DC43B80FBC.jpeg
6C9EC27D-9F53-4777-9EC2-9AB47BDB327E.jpeg

SR-L's came in Monday. Did a quick what do they look like yesterday on my way home. The overall size/shape are almost an exact fit to the OEM's but will require a little metal work - opening up the original body mount approximately 2.0 cm in width and 1.5 cm in height. I'm excited as this is going to be easier than I initially anticipated.
Rigid SpreadersIMG_0696.jpg
Rigid SpreadersIMG_0697.jpg

I
SR-L's came in Monday. Did a quick what do they look like yesterday on my way home. The overall size/shape are almost an exact fit to the OEM's but will require a little metal work - opening up the original body mount approximately 2.0 cm in width and 1.5 cm in height. I'm excited as this is going to be easier than I initially anticipated. View attachment 2751544View attachment 2751545
Gotta say they do look nice. I love the idea of a flush mount LED marker light. I browsed around the other night but didn't come across anything that looked suitable for a 60 series. I hate the idea of cutting into body sheet metal though unless there's no other way (like with a snorkel).

Im with @Spook50
I love the idea of those side markers they look slick. But I hate the idea of cutting into a good decent fj60 body panel. Is it possible to trim the body of the led to fit into the stock hole for the side markers? I could make you a 2 step adapter plate to prevent the cutting of good body parts. or atleast minimize cutting so you could go back to stock if you wanted.

it looks like a fun project!

Here's a really rough sketch of what I mean.
fdfdfd.png

@Spook50 @ChaserFJ60

We're all thinking the same thing. I thought a spacer initially but when I measured how far the light would stick out from the panel, didn't like it. Can't trim because the either or both the calling fins and body are too thin.

But @ChaserFJ60 - maybe cut only to recess the fins, flush spacer between that point and the mounting points, maybe that would work. But it would have to be something I would have to send off to get designed and although that's on par with seemingly everything I do on this build, I'm thinking it would be easier, cheaper and cleaner to open her up a little. And honestly, I have no plans of putter her back to stock. But it could be a potential point of devaluation if I were to sell her in the future.

My buddy is working on a 1975 Ford Bronco (Baja Edition) and I swear, parts are everywhere and so much cheaper than the 60's.

SR-L's came in Monday. Did a quick what do they look like yesterday on my way home. The overall size/shape are almost an exact fit to the OEM's but will require a little metal work - opening up the original body mount approximately 2.0 cm in width and 1.5 cm in height. I'm excited as this is going to be easier than I initially anticipated. View attachment 2751544View attachment 2751545
Did you ever get this done?

My curiosity is piqued as well. Since I have to repair and repaint my fenders, enlarging the openings wouldn't be a concern for me.

I think what @ChaserFJ60 proposed would be the best solution for most and clean. Bolt on adapter would be slick! I would imagine trimming down those cooling fins would be easy so it would tuck in the hole better.

Toyota still sells these housings new, One of my first designs, Fits well. Could be used here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom