4Runner wiper upgrade...couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, several threads on this already, but just got my stuff in the mail and have a few questions.

Are the new 4 Runner arms supposed to slide over the existing rubber "grommet" sleeves on the wiper posts? Pretty sure the grommets need to stay in place to keep the posts sealed.

The wiper posts/stems are splined. The old original wiper arm holes appear to be splined. The new 4Runner wiper arm holes are not splined, but smooth. Are the splines on the posts supposed to just "cut into" the new 4Runner arms when the nut is torqued down? I assumed the holes in the wiper arms would be splined to set the position of the arms easier.

What's the word on these?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

is that new OEM? I've never seen a new one, so I guess it could be possible for them to not have splines at first, but get their splines after being torqued to the wiper posts...not sure there. The grommet stays in place. HTH

is that new OEM? I've never seen a new one, so I guess it could be possible for them to not have splines at first, but get their splines after being torqued to the wiper posts...not sure there. The grommet stays in place. HTH

Yessir, new OEM 4Runner wiper arms. Just checked the other arm in the package and both of these arms are "smooth bore" in the mounting hole.

So yea, either these are supposed to be splined and I got two bad ones, OR the paint/coating on these is super thick and the splines are covered up(which I doubt), OR these are supposed to be smooth and the splines get "cut in" when the nut torques down. (?)
I just don't want install them if they're wrong and I need to send back. Thanks for any other info on this.

@beno any info on these?

image.jpeg

Mine were smooth too when new out of package. They have been on for six months and working great.

Mine were smooth too and I wondered about it. Put them on and work fine. Never had them try to push a heavy snow load tho.

Don't just stop with the 4Runner arms, do the 80 series rear wiper arm for the back glass.

Yep, wish I remembered that one when ordering these. I haven't had a usable rear wiper in about ten years.

So looks like the 4Runner arms are not splined....will bolt these up and be on my way. Thanks all.

I had no issues with the seals on mine. I bought used wiper arms from eBay and new caps from Amazon. Running 24" blades on both sides.

I had no issues with the seals on mine. I bought used wiper arms from eBay and new caps from Amazon. Running 24" blades on both sides.
Seriously?! 24" blades, I have been running 16-18" blades and those just about touch the top of the windshield.

I found 17" blades work well on my 60, as they clear the top of the windshield by about 1/2". My arms were used, so it looked like they had splines, but it makes sense they would be smooth for indexing the arms in production.

This is a huge improvement, and one of the best mods I have made to my 60!

Is your linkage good? If not, do an overhaul, or at least clean and lube the splined drives on the cowl, it makes a huge difference.

At the junk yard, the number to look for is 5175, embossed on the windshield side, just behind the hook at the end. This is the driver's side 4R arm. I got one from a 4Runner and one from a pickup. They appear to be very plentiful. Many many Japanese cars have NWB brand arms and they stamp all of them with a model number.
Also, 80 series front arms do mount up and work really well, but interfere with the hood opening a little.
HTH!

I just ordered the two arms off ebay using the oem part number- used, saved a couple bucks. 25$ ea free ship... now looking into the blades and rest of the parts...

I just ordered the two arms off ebay using the oem part number- used, saved a couple bucks. 25$ ea free ship... now looking into the blades and rest of the parts...
Really don't NEED any other parts as the nut that is used to hold the 60 arm works just fine. Tried all kinds of blades since I did my swap and seriously, the $10/set standard NAPA Auto blade have been flawless. Just swapped a new set on last week as mine were starting to do the chatter dance, now they are slick and smooth as butter.

My 4Runner arms arrived PN 85221-35080. They are straight arms, without the slight bend that the stock 60 arms have. Hoping the blades won't stick too much into the field of vision. The bend allows for the blades to come to rest at the bottom edge of windshield.

Anyone have links to fixing slow wipers?

I’ve checked my linkage and arms users the hood, and they are all lubed and working, but my wipers are dog slow.

So much even that when the windshield is dry, they don’t really even wipe. Could it be a dying motor?

All the threads I’ve read talk about checking linkage and arms, but I’ve done that. It helped like 10%, but they’re still seriously lacking. I haven’t even tackled looking into the rear wiper yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom