3FE FJ40 RTCustoms build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GREAT LOOKING 40 MARK!!!!!

except those sliders, should have put the first set on ;);)

:beer:

Hey Tucker,

The Door panels are CCOT's And all those wires where old Stereo cables I was pulling out, and a few new Vintage Air cables yet to be installed. ;)

coolfj40_2042_323927951

Where did those door panels come from? And what the heck are all those wires right there in a 40 ... AC?

Tucker

Got tunes!

Yesterday I was able to finish up the inside of the truck, I had extra SecondSkin sound dampener, so I used it on the front doors, inside and out. I also installed my Boston Acoustic Pro 60 speakers.

speaker2.jpg

speaker1.jpg

speaker3.jpg

Randy over at RTCustoms has been helping get my 3FE 40 running. So has Pappy with his long distance support. This week the truck is going up to Dallas for a little body work, and for Randy to do his magic on the Engine. He just completed my wife FJ62 swap, and I loved what he did in tweeking that 3FE, Build link I want him to do the same with the FJ40.

Here is a little history on the truck. I bought from a guy in AZ, and thought I was getting a running truck, with a little rust. The 3FE had already been dropped in, and the truck had a new lift. When it arrived, a lot of rust, and did not run. We almost had to have it towed from the drop off point to my home.

Once I got it home and popped the hood I saw the nest of wires, and a lot of other problems. The first two weeks I spent tearing into the 3FE wiring and the 2F wiring and redoing a lot of it. I found the O2 Sensors not hooked up, and some wires just twisted together. The ECU was hanging by one screw under the dash...that tells you the level of care the PO owner took with this engine install. One of the first things I had done was to add a VSS to the speedo cable, and move the ECU to the glove box. I've also added a engine light on the Dash, and a Tach. Speed Sensor Link

Next was to redo the electric fuel pump and install a MSD2225,it came with some generic brand, and I went ahead and replaced the fuel tank with a new OEM one. I also had to adjust the TB and fix the crappy install of the Gas pedal and throttle cable. It needed a few other things as well just to get the truck running.

Here is a short list of what I've been working on:
New tank and all fuel lines
new 3/8 larger dia fuel supply lines to engine
full tune up and timing was set correctly
new TPS, TB cleaned and set dead on while on the workbench
new o2 sensors - (they look very new)
All the little sensors in the t-stat housing are new
new hoses and t-state
all oils and fluids have been changed
I have run sea foam thru the injectors

Gas Pedal Link

Before:

After:

As of today, the truck is running great, passed inspection, and I've been driving it almost every day. I'll try and keep this tread updated - I know a lot of guys are doing the 3FE engines into Fj40, so I hope I can provide some insight.

-Mark

Mark,
Is the MSD 2225 still your choice for fuel pump for the 3FE? I'm thinking of running a filter before the pump and then another in the stock location in the engine bay. Any thoughts there.

Today was spent drinking beer and doing little things to the cruiser like adding the bling and the roundeyes.com head light. ;)

Also - the mirrors help, so I can go get the thing inspected!

roundeye.jpg

How do you like the Roundeyes head lights compare to the Toyota original head ligts? are they worth the Money?
Thanks,

ignition switch

It also seems to control the circuit opening relay initially and the start injector timer. It is wired into STA on teh ECU. So what happens if STA always has power? And if the circuit opening relay is not controlled by the other path (which it would not is the neutral switch is hard wired). It doesn't look like you can just ignore it.

So has anyone used the older dash mounted ignition switch? How did you wire it? I am trying to determine how to run the black and r-w leads. Are the later switches different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom