Builds 2UZ FJ40 on CUCV's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SilverBack
Picked up a new project, the FJ 40 from Hardline Crawlers forum:
FJ40 Land Cruiser (Tons/Linked/v8 etc) PLUS LOTS OF PARTS
Its a 73 frame with a aluminum tub, and cut front fenders. CUCV dana 60 front with 4.56 gears, Detroit locker, rear is a 14 Bolt 4.56 gears, gov't locker. Rear has been four linked with some stock TJ springs, Rusty's offroad joints and have the brackets and joints to link the front. Chevy TBI V-8 engine swap, that is for sale.
This will be a slow build, but the plans are to remove the Chevy motor, install the 2UZ from the wrecked Tundra, Inchworm prerunner adapter for the 2wd trans to mini truck T-case, and some properly sized tires to get it road worthy. Sliders, tube fenders, roll cage, and then link the front with some ORI struts to get it trail worthy.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
DSCF0136.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0135.jpg

Motor donor truck:

Last edited:
Scored some H2 wheels, 17 x 8.5 to make do until I need some beadlocks. May get some tires to mount on for some roll arounds until I get some larger MT's.
120508_0003.jpg

120508_0001.jpg

Got some Scion seats from PAP with mechanical slides and recline backs.
120510_0003.jpg

Think I can cut the Scion mount brackets off to allow the track to mount straight the 40's tub mounts.
120510_0002.jpg

120510_0001.jpg

Getting some 40" Maxxis Trepadors radials for road days.
viewThumb.jsp

Located in Lafayette, La south central area of the state in the oil feild patch.

The Maxxis are the radials not the stickies so I got a decent deal on them from a seller on Pirate 4x4.

Still have parts to sell to before parts get ordered, but should be cleaning up the frame and removing 1" of the 2" body lift soon. I have been doing some research looking for some motor mounts options, not much out there thats going to be fun fab there.

Cool... I work in Lake Charles, but my company is based in Lafayette (black & yellow). Maybe I'll look you up when I'm back there for recurrent training.

Yep, we Fly PHI here for Shell.
Holla when in the area, or come by a BSLCA meeting to meet the rest of the local Toyota group.

I have been doing some research looking for some motor mounts options, not much out there thats going to be fun fab there.

Slee has plates cut to fit 2uz motor mount bolt up that they will sell you. We all just use spring bushings and tabs to complete the mounts, its pretty easy once you get your motor where you want it. Here are a few pics.

2uz25.JPG

2uz26.JPG

I also added some gussets for and aft that are not seen here.

I think the 2UZ motor mounts are pretty close to the 5VZ I installed into mine. I did not go fancy but they work great and are easy to fab. Sorry this was the best picture I have of them.

I think they are as well, so I may use some TG bomb proof motor mounts I have to start out.

How much were the Slee motor plates? Did not see them on the web site.

You'll have to give them a call and see if they will sell you a pair. Its not exactly a high volume part. They mostly have them made for in shop projects but normally have a couple extra made to either have on the shelve and I think will sell to those in need. I'm not sure on cost, I remember them being reasonable enough that it was worthwhile to buy them instead of spending the time making not as nice a piece myself.

John,

Looks like a great start to a cool project. Hope to see it on the trails soon.

When we made our mounts we just took a piece of thin cardboard and a ball peen hammer to mark the holes. We were hoping to tie into the existing mounts from the prior motor so we ended up just using the front 4 holes.

Thanks, gents looking forward getting some work done myself.

Brought some 4.7 Tcase gears and twin stick off Pirate, still looking for Dana 60 and 14bolt to Toyota pinion flanges.

High Angle Drivline-Call Jesse at 530-877-2875 - My Buildup

Have you seen this one? Very popular with the mini crowd.

Very cool build! im working on my own 1UZ FJ40, minitruck 5spd, dual cases. a 2UZ would be awesome.

Do you have an idea of how long your drivetrain is going to be? shifter location? rear dshaft length? i know mine is pushing it and you have an auto and prerunner adapter in the mix.

Mounted the 40" Trepadors on the H2 wheels and did some clearance checks, all looks good so far. Unable to flex it to much with just a floor jack, but I know its going to be tall.:frown:
Also took one inch out of the 2 inch body lift, next is finish cleaning up the frame in prep for the engine swap.
120615_0008.jpg
120615_0012.jpg
120615_0003.jpg
120615_0008.jpg
120615_0012.jpg
120615_0003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom