2UZ-FE Normal Operating Temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed my thermostat and radiator cap, -7°C on the highway and -9°C idling. Highway is 83°C and idling is now 85°C with OAT of 21°C I suspect my radiator cap wasn't holding pressure properly, although it wasn't leaking coolant. I used to not hear any pressure release when opening the radiator cap when the engine was mildly warm ~50°C. Tried it again after replacement and heard an audible hiss.
I saw 207 today on a 102 degree day with the A/C going, think I will start here. I have a new radiator sitting there just no time to get it done

Last edited:
Alright I just replaced everything you did in your list with oem Toyota parts in addition to the new Koyo Rad. Pretty much a full baseline with new OEM parts, and this Vegas heat of 111-114 I’m getting operational temps about 198-204 with the AC on. I’ve got a 98 100.

I know Vegas has been hot as of late. But these high operating temps are making me worried. Any feedback is appreciated mudders!
I’m getting the same coolant temps on my wifi obd as yours in the 204°F range especially on stops. I placed a marker sticker on the coolant reservoir for hot and cold levels. I check on that every time I get home. This gives me a visual status check if I am loosing coolant on this brutal heat. So far it hasn’t, we just want to make sure that there is no internal or external leak on the coolant.

Very true ^. Coolant reservoir fluctuate greatly with OAT and or engine coolant temp (ECT). It's why I note OAT and check level in Radaitor and reservoir just before sunup.

I' get 184f to 187f ECT, with momentary raises to ~190F. In the 98-02 with both AC 's on max in 100F OAT, in the afternoon full sun. In 9 out of 10, 98-02 that have done a full coolant service and tune on.

But yesterday, I had one act more like the VVT. It ran a little hotter with OATs in the 70F or below at 185F to 189F. But once OAT got into 80F+, ECT got into the 190's averaging 194f, hitting 197F when I'd load her up (pulling up hill AC on). ??? WHY!

I thought perhaps I put a VVT fan clutch in. Checked, nope! it was the thinner non VVT I'd just install.
Perhaps old fuel filter reduce fuel delivery? But fuel trims, look okay, perhaps a tad lean.
Perhaps older non OEM fan belt, but seem okay. Just slick back and a tad long. It could be slipping a tad?

Then I found a head gasket leak, darn! Seem very minor and no sign of coolant entering cylinders or oil. But will need to do more testing (combustion gas, compression and scoping). At this point, it would seem head gasket leak may be pushing up ECT.

I had just done full coolant service with chemical flush (block drains clogged). Likely someone add a head gasket stop leak, which is likely why drains clogged. It seems, I flushed an leak became active again. I was jump over 203F in 80F OAT at every stop (stop at red lights), before coolant service & tune. Now ECT just goes up when I really push engine hard and OAT over 80F. So big improvement. But DARN, A HEAD GASKET LEAK. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom