2nd row delete sleeping platform (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a well-designed piece and you have tons of headroom with this setup, but my concern would be turning an otherwise functional SUV into the seating capacity of a convertible. I use my 2nd row seats far too frequently to delete them.

Reactions: GTV
My Lab would love the second seat removed so she could snooze on a flat surface 9or her bed) and be close to us. She doesn’t seem to like the angle of the rear seat much.

Nice but seems a bit steep to me. A 4 x 8 sheet of half inch plywood will accomplish almost the same thing, for about $430 less.

Nice but seems a bit steep to me. A 4 x 8 sheet of half inch plywood will accomplish almost the same thing, for about $430 less.
Looks like it's $430 for the platform for the small seat, and $499 for the larger seat. So you'll save even more money with your 3/4 ply! 😃 Granted you'll probably need a few fasteners too, so don't forget to factor in that extra $15. 😂

I haven't actually done this yet but I've decided 3/4 plywood is overkill, planning to go with 15/32 to reduce weight. It will need to be jigsawed out a bit around the wheel wells and probably supported a bit towards the front. With a tight fit around the wheel wells it should be very secure, and yet easy to lift out from the rear. I'll probably remove some seat anchor plastic trim to flatten the back. You could hinge it for the front floor storage or just stuff things underneath it from the side. It will be 78 inches long so I'll have 18 inches of extra plywood for customization, etc. The whole thing gets covered with carpet. I am among those who want headroom, not under bed storage.

I fabbed my own second row platform based on the concept from GG. Made it from 12mm (1/2") baltic birch plywood and coated it with Upol raptor liner. All in with a 4x5 plywood sheet, raptor liner, hardware for under $200. I asked Jason at @TRAIL TAILOR to come up with a set of brackets to bolt the platform to the seat mounts. Worked out great. Holds my 63qt fridge, goal zero and some other stuff.

Rear Seat Delete Brackets are on his website.

1577236830587.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fe.jpeg

IMG_2333.JPG

Last edited:
Do they make that platform with different (flush) hardware? It looks like all the bolt heads are raised and if you're using it like a pickup truck bed, they would just catch everything you're trying to load into the cargo area.

I haven't actually done this yet but I've decided 3/4 plywood is overkill, planning to go with 15/32 to reduce weight. It will need to be jigsawed out a bit around the wheel wells and probably supported a bit towards the front. With a tight fit around the wheel wells it should be very secure, and yet easy to lift out from the rear. I'll probably remove some seat anchor plastic trim to flatten the back. You could hinge it for the front floor storage or just stuff things underneath it from the side. It will be 78 inches long so I'll have 18 inches of extra plywood for customization, etc. The whole thing gets covered with carpet. I am among those who want headroom, not under bed storage.
One thing that I've been considering with my plans is the danger of a rear end collision with a solid sheet of plywood filling the back end. I plan on cutting at least one seam across the back, probably beveled at 30-45°, to allow the panels to push upwards in the case of getting rear ended. Without that, I fear that the solid sheet would get pushed forward into the back of the front seats and potentially sever the passenger and my spines.

Great idea (and nicely done example) but I wanted to keep the second row seats in my 100 Series "just in case" I ever needed to carry more people than two.

A friend helped me build a sleeping platform that occupies the left 2/3s of the rear area, and folds down flat on top of the folded-down second row seats. Fold back the sleeping platform, then un-fold the second row seats to seat more passengers!

How difficult is it to remove the second row seats for camping, then reinstall?

I've thought at trying to car camp but $1000-$1500 just for a platform in the rear seems a little steep when I could just fill the gap with gear and sleep with my head at the tailgate.

One thing that I've been considering with my plans is the danger of a rear end collision with a solid sheet of plywood filling the back end. I plan on cutting at least one seam across the back, probably beveled at 30-45°, to allow the panels to push upwards in the case of getting rear ended. Without that, I fear that the solid sheet would get pushed forward into the back of the front seats and potentially sever the passenger and my spines.

That's a good idea. And two smaller sheets would be even easier to move around, maybe with some synchronized handle / holes cut out.

How difficult is it to remove the second row seats for camping, then reinstall?

I've thought at trying to car camp but $1000-$1500 just for a platform in the rear seems a little steep when I could just fill the gap with gear and sleep with my head at the tailgate.

Nothing to it - just flip the seats all the way forward and remove four 14mm bolt per side. The big side is a little bulky.

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine many people are OK turning their giant 8-seater SUV into a semi-permanent two-seater just to buy some headroom while you lay horizontal overnight.

There are some refined options for a sleeping platform that retain the second row seats AND provide top notch lock in/out drawers as an option. Just sayin... ;)

1577320826881.png

1577320856381.png

The cargo area isn’t included with either of those sections. It’s another $625.

Looks like it's $430 for the platform for the small seat, and $499 for the larger seat. So you'll save even more money with your 3/4 ply! 😃 Granted you'll probably need a few fasteners too, so don't forget to factor in that extra $15. 😂

In my small world, owning 2 wagons ('87 60/'04 100) for 15 yrs, I've only needed 3+ seeting once (1 week on white rim w 4ppl).

Super rare even 3ppl.

Plan on removing the 60% 2nd row & using that space for platform. The 40% will be there for the rare passenger (3rd row is permanently out).

As a side, don't know what this says about my social popularity :cool:

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine many people are OK turning their giant 8-seater SUV into a semi-permanent two-seater just to buy some headroom while you lay horizontal overnight.

There are some refined options for a sleeping platform that retain the second row seats AND provide top notch lock in/out drawers as an option. Just sayin... ;)

View attachment 2165885
View attachment 2165887
I did this to my 80 more or less. It's horrible to get in and out since there's no room to sit up straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom