Builds 2F Retirement/ Vortec Resto-Fresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
looks good...you've put a lot of work into that. What are you using to capture the fastner on the interior panels in the cargo area? I put in some crude wood panels on my truck but I keep having issues with the screws coming out, as I recall I used some type of plastic insert in the body panel...and the screw bites into that....but over time the screws come loose.

Hey Elbert, here’s a pic of what came with the panels. It’s a metal clip and is working awesome so far:

67FB6AC5-B1B2-4797-A87C-4BEAE7B64B5C.jpeg
E48A0461-85D4-4EF0-AAE6-EEE0D4037A19.jpeg

That looks fantastic. It reminds me of Volvo’s Atacama interior.

I wouldn’t worry about tossing stuff in the back. Leather over metal is much more durable than the vinyl over cardboard that was original to these trucks.

Hey Elbert, here’s a pic of what came with the panels. It’s a metal clip and is working awesome so far:

View attachment 1978376View attachment 1978377

ok, thanks for the feedback. I know about those (forgot the real name). I need to go back and see what I used....I think it was some type of plastic nut which as noted .....has not turned out well. I'll have to deal with that a little bit later this summer. I'll round up the parts...and get some of those "clips"

I always have a tool box in the back of my 60 as well. I painted it satin black and put stickers on it, so it looks like it belongs there - sort of :)

Right? It’s still a 35 year old truck regardless of how much work you’ve got into it. You’ve gotta go prepared...

-Ed

The Advanced Adapter donut mounts that are so often used in V8 swaps I found to be less than ideal. They transmitted a terrific amount of vibration into the chassis which was especially noticeable at idle. So I got hold of a set of TLC mounts that they produce for their Erod conversion kits. I have no idea if these are still available but I love that they incorporate the GM rubber isolator. It was a giant pain in the ass to change these out with the motor still in the truck but a worth while upgrade. Sooo much smoother now.

Here they are:
View attachment 1857350
And now mounted, from underneath:
View attachment 1857351

I just received the same ones. Any advice on installing? Do they require any modification?
TIA!

Is your engine already installed? If not it should be a piece of cake. The mounts index off of bolt holes on the frame and will locate everything nicely for you.

If your engine is installed already get ready for some real fun. I had to modify both brackets. Shorten up one side and extend the other side all while supporting the engine with a jack while cutting out the old mounts. Took more than twice the time I budgeted and all while working upside down.

Shoot me a PM if you’ve got any specific questions.

-Ed

Thank you! Not installed yet. Great info on the indexing, that helps with my other question aground positioning the engine.

Any advice on getting a hold of a set of the TLC/eRod mounts? I'm starting to hate my AA mounts.

All I can say is call them. Seth in the parts department helped me out when I called them a long time ago.

Good luck!

-Ed

Air Conditioning!

The A/C has not worked on this truck since I bought it many years ago. That is until now...

Thanks to Mosley Motors aka @FJ60Cam I picked up some hybrid hoses already set with the correct Toyota/GM hoses and adapters to plumb my system. I also sourced a new Toyota OEM dryer, condenser, pressure switch and thermistor from @Onur and I bought a new GM/Denso compressor. Almost a practically new system! I just drive it home from the shop that charged up the system and it’s blowing beautifully cold air! Just in time for brutal summer temps!

Here’s some photos and backstory:

New Denso compressor
98C71A40-FFAC-4F59-B634-C3C25D337566.jpeg

GM factory pigtail
804976C0-C6C3-4B9D-9AF8-ED2AB4119C08.jpeg

The wire that goes to old Toyota compressor connector gets spliced into green wire of the GM pigtail. Black wire on GM pigtail goes to chasis ground (thanks for your guidance here Cam!)
42BC354C-BA23-4CCC-9D7A-4F4D0F38AFCB.jpeg

I modified my AC amp by following the sage advice in this thread: The A/C Amp Thread

Worked perfectly.

Pulled the AC box from under the dash following the factory manual and replaced the pressure switch and thermistor. Used spare Dynaliner to wrap the thermistor.
150B2E90-0FFE-468A-9A86-630626565895.jpeg

New OEM dryer
D8096855-03E4-48E7-AD1A-225A3233BF89.jpeg

The custom hoses from Mosley Motors are almost idiot proof. They come labeled and with all the correct ends. One end of each hose is already crimped. Simply cut other end to ensure a perfect fit. The shop that charged my system crimped the ends for me but I could have sent them back to Cam for crimping if I had preferred.

18E74AED-3768-41FE-A1CF-EFD2067D0C8B.jpeg

Toyota to GM adapters for the compressor
FF77F7A3-60CE-420B-889D-4073E26C1B78.jpeg

802142D8-AB04-4F15-A716-0572C276D2AD.jpeg

83219489-2EC7-428C-B244-A3066EB84DDA.jpeg

A34C09EB-485D-4E5B-9EA0-C8E0806490DD.jpeg

Last edited:
AC is a MUST in these rolling greenhouses!

Seriously!

I’ve sweat my nuts off the last 2 summers since doing the engine swap. No more! This feels like real luxury to me.

Thanks for all the help Cam!

-Ed

Nice. I got my system all set up last week and did my compressor wiring today too. I made a little bracket for the compressor connector to clip to, now I see in your pic how it's supposed to clip to the compressor. I was wandering what that little bracket was for :lol:

I'm glad yours is working good, I'm really looking forwards to getting mine charge up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom