22r strange overheating. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone hopefully someone can help me. I just got a 1990 4Runner with a 22re in it. The engine was rebuilt and has only 50,000 miles. When I purchased it I drove it about 2 hours on the Interstate (70 mph max, 5th gear, 3k rpms) with no trouble until I stopped at my destination. Then it boiled over. For the next couple of weeks I drove it around town trying to recreate the overheating with no success. Then I went an a off road trip, the first part being back highway roads go 50 mph for about 2 hours no problem overheating. About 9 hours of off road trails going no faster then 10 mph not leaving 4L. No problem overheating. Then on the way back we took the Interstate back about 2 hours at 70 mph (max speed, 5th gear, 3k rpms). No problems on the Interstate. Drove about 30 of stop and go in town with no issue except my oil pressure dropped some. Then stopped at my home where it again boiled after I turned the motor off. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap (I noticed some radiator leak sealant) and drove it on the highway but my fan belt broke so I wasn't able to get a good test. Haven't been able to drive it again. If anyone has ideas of input let me know.

Sometimes a bad or weak cap will do what you are describing. Do you know if in fact it is overheating? I would test it again with what you have done. Might also get a real mechanical gauge to see where the temp actually is.

Possible failed fan clutch. Looks good while idling, but overheats after hard use. Test by hand - ENGINE OFF - cold should be able to spin fairly easy. When hot - ENGINE OFF - should be quite stiff, almost as a locked up condition. Anything different is a fail.

Possible failed fan clutch.

Yep, what I was thinking. Plus the suggestion to make sure it's really overheating is a great idea. Get a real gauge. The dash gauges are worthless. I prefer electrical gauges, others prefer mechanical.

since you could go 9hrs off road at 10mph with no issues, and it only boils over when your at a stop, maybe it could be that there to many air bubbles... have you burped the radiator?

Status update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom