Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Trails - Events - Expeditions' started by MountNGoat, Dec 4, 2016.
Less than 5 months people!!!
Cross finger we won't need snow tracks.
bull-oney, you better pray on the altar of Paulina Gretzky that this snow keeps coming and sticks around. If this years gets pushed out to the Fourth Of July, I might be able to make it.
This current storm is a warm one, with snow levels above the trail elevation. The forecast for nearby South Lake Tahoe, similar elevation, is for more than 2.5" of rain tomorrow. This rain will help melt a significant amount of snow (hopefully without causing flooding down stream).
Great. I'll need a snorkel for down in the valley.
I'll just leave this here...
The last really huge water year (1986?) that's exactly what happened. Warm heavy spring rains melted a huge snow pack and nearly flooded Sacramento. As it was, I-5 was closed (by something crazy like 10 feet of water on the section by the Consumnes River), 50 was closed, and the American River normally at 1500 cfs was 120,000 cfs. The neighborhood where I live now was evacuated, but didn't flood. They have since raised and strengthened the levy system, but one year the river will win. Tech: @surfpig will need a 30 foot high snorkel to keep the water out of his intake, since he's even lower.
The people in charge were caught unprepared and within just a day or two we had raging rivers, floods, and the fedral/state water guys scratching their heads. They altered the management of Folsom Lake and Shasta Lake right then to try to mitigate future problems. I think this year, Folsom is still only part full to leave room for a wet March.
But I really hope they don't move the Rubithon dates. That was a disaster the year that TonyT had to do that because of snow.
There is so much snow at the higher elevations that most of the rain will get absorbed by the snowpack. Around about 6-7000 feet, yeah, lots of snowmelt.
I am not yet planning to change the dates. We may have to alter the normal location of camp, but it is way to early to consider this. I know people have to take time of and it would cause a great hardship to many if we change the dates. I totally understand why we needed to do this in the past, and I can't guarantee that it won't happen again. But it is my full intention to keep the dates as is if at all possible!
Happy to report our guys did awesome and won the 4600 class! We also competed in the 4400 class and was able to finish in regulation and placed 42nd. Not too shabby for our first time in a 4400 car.
I'm back and almost caught up, so if there are any questions call or email away!
4 months from now the Pryor clan will be camped right here
and the rest of you will either be A) nearby or B) on the road to here
Well anyone that has been following the weather and snow pack here in California has probably seen this coming, but here is the official update. After much discussion with those that live in the Tahoe area, those with a lot more history on the Rubicon in the spring, the Rubicon Trail Foundation and with the heads of other events, I have come to the conclusion we need to change the dates for this year’s Rubithon. The new dates will be July 11th-16th.
I have run this past the TLCA President, and my predecessor, Tony Twiddy, and they are in full agreement. My hope is to make this change with enough notice as to not affect travel plans and vacation selection. I have contacted all of the run leads and all of the runs will remain unchanged with the exception of the new dates.
I’m sure there will be many questions, so let me try to answer some of them before the phone calls start.
1. Why are you doing this?
With the amount of snow in the Tahoe area and the forecasted snow still to come, even the local ski resorts are stating they will be open through July 4th.
This amount of snow can present a safety hazard due to the potential snow drifts and water crossing drop offs on the Tahoma side, and greatly influence whether the trail is even passable.
2. Can’t we just go in through the Loon side and exit the same way?
Yes, there is a possibility we can get in and out via Loon. However there are 2 issues that make me think this is not wise. First, there is the real possibility that the Rubicon will be closed at times by El Dorado County during the run off do to water levels on the trail to prevent soil erosion. Second, I think we would not be being good stewards of the trail to have that many rigs on it while conditions are that wet, even if the trail is not closed.
3. What happened to the idea of just camping at South Fork Campground or Airport Flat and doing day trips?
Same reasons as listed in #2 above.
4. How did you come up with those dates?
I first found out what dates were available for us to be able to use the Springs. This was the only one available that did not interfere with other local events, work projects on the trail and schools being back into session. We have such a large number of our participants with school age children, that it was felt there would be too much of an impact if the kids where back in school. In addition, the other date available is in the middle of fire season. Several of our leads, including the chairman J, are either firefighters or police officers.
5. What if I’ve already registered and I can’t make those dates?
I will fully refund your registration. The only thing that I would not refund is your AirMedCare Network membership and TLCA membership. Those items are still good and the monies have already been sent to them. If this creates a hardship, contact me and we can work something out.
6. What if there is still too much snow or water run of with the new dates?
That issue is still being worked out. We are looking at other SVRA’s where we might be able to do the event on those dates.
7. What should we expect in the Springs?
It will likely be a wet year, I would definitely plan on a lot of bug spray. Also, there was already a large release of water that we believe may have severely flooded the Springs requiring a lot of clean up. Bring a positive attitude if it is not the normally well-kept lawn we enjoy. Also, be prepared for “rustic camping” also known as bring your own bumper dumper or PETT toilet. It is believed many of the restrooms may have become canoes and will need to be brought back into position. BE PREPARED!
8. Will we have company?
Maybe. I have been talking with my counterparts at Jeepers Jamboree. They have the same concerns and may need to do more than their normal 1 work party before their event. If so, they will try to use a small area for camping and will be joining us for dinner on Saturday night. We are all there for the trail and to enjoy the Springs, so I hope all will see them as our fellow wheelers and welcome them.
9. Are there any other special considerations?
Yes. There has already been a lot of road and infrastructure damage related to the rains. Plan extra time to get to your check in location. For example, Hwy 50 is down to 2 lanes at Bridal Veil Falls due to road collapse. I would not be surprised if more issues develop with storms yet to come. You will want to check on the status of road closures before you depart. One good site is www.quickmap.dot.ca.gov
All registration links have been updated to reflect the new dates for Rubithon. If there are any other questions, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 530-401-0800.
Thanks for your understanding and cooperation,
s***, time to scramble.
See you all in July!!
I'm still in.
Way to read the situation and make a executive decision Eric. Not easy and I commend you for making the tough call.
Anything can happen when its about weather of course, but the odds makers surely aren't betting Sierra snow will be gone in the higher ups earlier rather than later this year ...
Here's a video of Hwy 28 taken at Tahoe on February 17th: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1339816879375064
Time for another Nevada trip Dan. June. Do it.