2017 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is good news. I expect to see you here a couple days before to finalize your electrical, and share an adult beverage and make some great food. You are welcome to say here if you like. We might have time to do a spring over. Just sayin...

:lol: I'll see you that Weds or Thursday Andy.

:)

Right on, Beno! It's gonna be great!

Question for folks who've done the wagon trip before. If it's not sold out I'm thinking about signing up. I've never done the rubicon before. Unfortunately my FJ40 isn't likely to be ready to make the trip this year, so I'd be in my 2015 4Runner. I know Toyota has done the trail in a stock 4runner. Mine is a trail edition with a mild lift and 33's - has a winch, skids, and sliders but otherwise mostly stock. Not sure if ATRAC/MTS/Crawl is an acceptable solution for a front locker (has a rear e-locker). Thoughts on whether it'd be crazy to try it in a close to stock rig? I'm not sure how it compares to the moab trails. I've been around a few of the medium ones like Poison Spider and Hell's Revenge without issue. Is this a crazy idea?

That's an awfully nice truck to bring but if you are not scared of a few dents it should be ok.

Question for folks who've done the wagon trip before. If it's not sold out I'm thinking about signing up. I've never done the rubicon before. Unfortunately my FJ40 isn't likely to be ready to make the trip this year, so I'd be in my 2015 4Runner. I know Toyota has done the trail in a stock 4runner. Mine is a trail edition with a mild lift and 33's - has a winch, skids, and sliders but otherwise mostly stock. Not sure if ATRAC/MTS/Crawl is an acceptable solution for a front locker (has a rear e-locker). Thoughts on whether it'd be crazy to try it in a close to stock rig? I'm not sure how it compares to the moab trails. I've been around a few of the medium ones like Poison Spider and Hell's Revenge without issue. Is this a crazy idea?
It's very close in size to an 80 so you'd fit through but are you willing to accept extensive body damage on a really nice truck? Chances of getting through clean are slim

@Bimrunner took his new 4rnr through 2 years ago. Did well as I recall

That's an awfully nice truck to bring but if you are not scared of a few dents it should be ok.

That's kinda my issue - a few dents might be okay. A lot of dents not so much... I kinda figured the OEM bumpers are disposible. I've scratched them up enough I'll just swap new covers on when I sell it. They're actually pretty cheap. I'm well protected with the sliders. But caving in a door or fender would not be so great and a flop or rollover would be a real bummer. OTOH I kinda feel like if I wasn't going to get it a little dirty - I would have bought a highlander.

That's kinda my issue - a few dents might be okay. A lot of dents not so much... I kinda figured the OEM bumpers are disposible. I've scratched them up enough I'll just swap new covers on when I sell it. They're actually pretty cheap. I'm well protected with the sliders. But caving in a door or fender would not be so great and a flop or rollover would be a real bummer. OTOH I kinda feel like if I wasn't going to get it a little dirty - I would have bought a highlander.
Stock bumper on a rig on 33's will be ripped off within the first 2 hours...

Agree-you need the protection of a solid rear bumper. There's a fair amount of overhang, and you'll smack the rear on rock ledges like 200 times on the Rubicon trail.

The 40 is a better tool for the job if you can get it ready.

So the bumpers have been discussed already, and as someone who's done the trail three times on 33's with a mild lift (FJ60) I can attest that the comments are right on. I have limited experience mechanically with 4Runners. I've changed the half shafts on my daughter's '04 but that's it. From what I've read that seems to be a weak point - you'd need to have spares and the ability to swap them out. The biggest consideration IMHO is your sheet metal. You need to look at your rear quarter panels, imagine a really big, deep dent there in the side of your truck covering a few square feet, and be ok with that. The probability of doing that is high enough that you should come to terms with that ahead of time as if it is going to happen. And then if you're good with that I'd strongly consider that rear bumper.

Paging Dave Usem...

Thank you everyone for the honest advice! You were supposed to say "hell yeah! go for it", then wait for the carnage. lol.

I'd love to see how Toyota did it in a pair of stock 4runners! Looks like they had some trail damage to the rear door on one of the two they took. I was running GX460 rear air suspension for a while - that was handy for situations like this because I could raise the rear height 6 inches on demand, but I've swapped it back out for ride quality reasons. The pics were with OEM shocks - with long travel shocks it would go another 3 inches higher than that. I could never sort out shock valving to match well and the ride was soft - but not comfortable. Maybe I should toss the bags back in for this trip if I end up doing it. I really don't want steel bumpers. Keeping weight down is a major goal of this vehicle as a daily driver. Might have to just accept a rear bumper or maybe a custom skid setup that I can remove after? That plus some new sliders that have a bit better protection for the rear doors would go a long way I think. I'd really like to go give it a try. In the FJ40 on 40's it's usually kinda just point and shoot- but mechanically it's been unreliable. It's going under the knife for a complete new drivetrain and tube frame. The 4runner makes the trails fun again. I did buy a white one because it's easiest to match the paint...
4runner air height adjustment.jpg

FWIW the front 30 spline axles are amazingly strong. The birfields are much larger than mini truck stuff. Probably larger than 80 series solid axle birfields, but I haven't seen them side by side.

That is a nice looking 4Runner. I wish I had space to offer you a ride, to keep you from messing it up!

But cool, you know the risks. Have a blast and we'll all help as needed.

Thanks. I'm going to have to think about how much risk I want to take on. It sounds like a fun trip with fun folks.

Hello everyone. Just a reminder today is the last day to get your registrations in to be included in this months extra grand prize raffle ticket drawing.

Happy wheeling!
Eric

Thank you everyone for the honest advice! You were supposed to say "hell yeah! go for it", then wait for the carnage. lol.

I'd love to see how Toyota did it in a pair of stock 4runners! Looks like they had some trail damage to the rear door on one of the two they took. I was running GX460 rear air suspension for a while - that was handy for situations like this because I could raise the rear height 6 inches on demand, but I've swapped it back out for ride quality reasons. The pics were with OEM shocks - with long travel shocks it would go another 3 inches higher than that. I could never sort out shock valving to match well and the ride was soft - but not comfortable. Maybe I should toss the bags back in for this trip if I end up doing it. I really don't want steel bumpers. Keeping weight down is a major goal of this vehicle as a daily driver. Might have to just accept a rear bumper or maybe a custom skid setup that I can remove after? That plus some new sliders that have a bit better protection for the rear doors would go a long way I think. I'd really like to go give it a try. In the FJ40 on 40's it's usually kinda just point and shoot- but mechanically it's been unreliable. It's going under the knife for a complete new drivetrain and tube frame. The 4runner makes the trails fun again. I did buy a white one because it's easiest to match the paint... View attachment 1430541

FWIW the front 30 spline axles are amazingly strong. The birfields are much larger than mini truck stuff. Probably larger than 80 series solid axle birfields, but I haven't seen them side by side.

Okay, I'll do it! ....."Hell yeah, go for it!"
You can become the stuff legends are made of;).
Or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom