2017 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MountNGoat

KK6WRY. Always Learning
GOLD Star
Threads
Howdy folks,

I thought I'd start the official 2017 Rubithon Wagon Run thread to get all the Wagon Run-specific chatter off of the main Rubithon page so as to not interfere with all the important general info Chairman Eric needs to get out. Hopefully this is where we'll get to know each other a little better before linking up on the trail, ask questions, and get answers.

Let's get some logistics out of the way first. Following the traditional Wagon Run schedule we will be leaving Loon Lake on Wed June 21, 2017 at 8:00 am. Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake. Thursday we will get an early start and push on to Rubicon Springs. Friday and Saturday are R&R at the Springs, and Sunday everyone is on their own to exit up Cadillac Hill (well, not really on your own - there is a local 4x4 club that mans the climb out to provide assistance - just no organized Wagon Run exit). On Wed and Thurs I advise having lunches made in advance and readily available. Typically getting our group through the trail requires continuous movement throughout the day with no time for a planned lunch stop - we eat when we can. Note that you will need to be at Loon Lake by 7:00 am Wed because we need time to perform the safety inspections and make sure your rigs are outfitted to the minimum requirements for the Wagon Run. Speaking of minimum requirements, they are:

2.5" lift and 33's
Lockers front and rear
Winch
2m HAM communication capable*

The Rubithon signup page will also list other mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. It goes without saying that your truck should be in top working order, etc. And if you're really running 33's and a 2.5" lift, may I suggest lots of really good armor and a rock-stacking shotgunner? While I have plans to be sitting taller this year, my last three times through the Con have been with exactly this setup. And my son, @JohnnyOshow22 , will be taking his green 80 through, again, setup just like this.

Speaking of family, I am looking forward to leading this event with the able assistance of my two son's, Johnny, who I've already mentioned, and Justin (@justintpryor ) who will be driving his white 80 (35's, 4" lift). Both are veterans of the Rubicon (and other trails) with these rigs. I drive a silver 1HZ diesel converted FJ60. We are absolutely stoked to also have the support of some real veterans of the trail this year, and as soon as the Wagon Run committee has fully gelled we'll get that information out as well.

*Let's talk about communications. We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. We will not have a CB channel. Ham requires a license to talk. This can seem a bit daunting, but honestly it's not that bad. There are a number of inexpensive online courses to help you study, and it doesn't require a huge time commitment. Also, your local club may host a study session and test, which is how Johnny just got his license. Handheld units manufactured by Baofeng are very cheap these days and will do the job - particularly with a $14 ancillary mag-mount roof antennae. I can't stress enough how important having this communication channel is. If you're planning to go and have any concerns about this, please PM me and we can discuss some more.

We're only going to have spots for about 16 sign ups for the Wagon Run this year (not including committee trucks, so ~20 in total). 2015 Rubithon was my first time on the trail, and obviously I've become hooked pretty fast. This is due to the absolutely fantastic people involved and the experience that is the Rubicon.

There will be much more to come, and I look forward to everyone's input, tips and tricks, gear sharing and coordinating, so post up. Justin, Johnny and I are looking forward to meeting you, and to another great Rubithon Wagon Run!

Thank you,
Steve Pryor

13501798_681105325361090_8622038130120168668_n.jpg

Nice. I'll be there with moral support if nothing else. Subscribing.

Really want to get in, when is registration going to open?

Really want to get in, when is registration going to open?
That is a question for Chairman Eric on the main Rubithon thread - I do not know at this time.

It's going to be epic once again! Really looking forward to meeting new people, to the great wheeling and the fillets... cue @PabloVTA sobbing because he wont be there for the fillets... now cue the entire camp sobbing because the charcuterie game will be lacking because @PabloVTA wont be there... :censor::crybaby:

Going for 3rd time through without winching on 33's and 2.5" of lift. Low slung people youre with me!

It's going to be epic once again! Really looking forward to meeting new people, to the great wheeling and the fillets... cue @PabloVTA sobbing because he wont be there for the fillets... now cue the entire camp sobbing because the charcuterie game will be lacking because @PabloVTA wont be there... :censor::crybaby:

Going for 3rd time through without winching on 33's and 2.5" of lift. Low slung people youre with me!

Agreed. I think we have to find @PabloVTA a body double so him and Griffin can come.

:)

Also known as the canary. Or sacrificial goat.
Says the one who sacraficed "THE GOAT" at Turf N Surf :rofl: At least Georg is going to make it great again!

Thanks for the push to spend more money on our 60. ( Lockers front and rear ) beyond that I think were good LOL Now I just have to convince Wendy its a necessity. @orangefj45 might be seeing the 60 in the future. NO wheres my check book HAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom