2017 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After experiencing this trail in both directions and seeing the net results there is no fxxxing way I would subject my 80 to it.:hmm:

After experiencing this trail in both directions and seeing the net results there is no ****ing way I would subject my 80 to it.

Come on Dan. Your 80 is 24 years old. Use it. It's a good truck, but it isn't getting any newer.

Since it is virtually impossible for an 80 to get through clean I lay down my gauntlet to prove me wrong. :)
Yeah, you'd have to wash it like every 45 minutes.

At least there's plenty of water this year!

:lol:

Dude, I have owned this truck since day one and I have NEVER bent a panel. At this point I am on the backside of the ownership window and it is way too late to trash it.

Dude, I have owned this truck since day one and I have NEVER bent a panel. At this point I am on the backside of the ownership window and it is way too late to trash it.

Not saying you should trash it. I'll drive it for you. :hillbilly:

See avatar...

Exactly!

For the unelightened cruiserdrew's avitar is his FJ40, piloted by me into a large boulder on Big Sluce going backwards.

He has yet to get even with me:):pig:

We're coming up Tuesday and planning on spending the night at Loon Lake so we can be at the staging area at 7am. Any suggestions on where to camp? Google maps shows a Red Fir campground just near the dam. Anyone else spending the night in the vicinity.

I want to put it out there that this is our first time on the Rubicon and the first run for this FJ60. We're looking for all the help we can get.

Tuesday night the Pryor clan will be camping on the trail, close to the staging area on the granite. If you see a couple 80s and a silver 60, its us. Come join in the festivities :beer:.

I will also be arriving late on Tuesday. Best case scenario is rolling out of Utah around noon, meaning I'd probably arrive sometime around 10 or 11pm. Having never been I think I'd be best off to drive all the way to Loon Lake and sleep there rather than try to sleep Tahoe and get up at 4am to make sure I'm at Loon by 7. If I get there early enough I'll try to meet up with some of you. Probably just sleep in my 4runner at one of the campgrounds otherwise.

You should drive:steer: all the way to the staging area. Lots of room to sleep:dead: in the 4runner there.

Tuesday night the Pryor clan will be camping on the trail, close to the staging area on the granite. If you see a couple 80s and a silver 60, its us. Come join in the festivities :beer:.

You should drive:steer: all the way to the staging area. Lots of room to sleep:dead: in the 4runner there.
To be add to what my brother said... cross both dams at loon lake, pass the rubicon sign, pass the bathrooms, drive across the cut/dynamited out spill way, go up the first granite slab and we'll be camped right there

Last edited:
Ok, so here is the secret ingredient this year: Mandarin Oranges and possibly Cuties.

As in years past, you will be judged on 2 savory dishes and 1 desert. You will be judged on Taste (up to 5 points,) Originality (up to 5 points,) and presentation (up to 3 points.) Plus the 2 possible bonus points listed below.

You can earn up to (2) bonus points by also having an adult beverage that also features the ingredient. One for having the ingredient in it and can taste it and the second if it pairs well with the dish you are serving.

Past winners have figured out it helps to keep the judging crew properly lubricated while you are preparing the food. For that reason, I’m going to try something new this year. While the teams can only have 3 preparers, I will allow you one extra person to help with the influencing of judges via libations while you toil away in the kitchen. One of the cook crew must serve the dish and describe what we are judging; the extra person cannot do this.

Judges shall not discuss what specific scores you are giving, however it is ok to discuss the foods or plates nuances or something that really stands out. But the scoring shall be kept private!

We still have space for 1 judge, so first to hit me up for it in the Springs gets it.

Now get those menus planed and try to get entered for next year’s Championship of Champions

Where on our run are we going to have access to potable water?

LOL-you won't.

But the water in Rubicon springs is pretty good, and I've purified it with aquamira with good results.

Where on our run are we going to have access to potable water?

There is water at loon lake, buck island and Rubicon springs (so everywhere we plan to camp). All these water sources will need to be purified via filter, boil or nasty purification tablet capsule things.

I have too many people in my truck so I will be filtering water this year.

The Aquamira system is basically tasteless and highly recommended over traditional iodine based purification tablets which taste terrible I agree.

I usually pick some up at one of the campgrounds on the way in...
Last weekend's backpacking trip I didn't even use my filter. I'm still alive.

Are you? Really?

Last weekend's backpacking trip I didn't even use my filter. I'm still alive.

But now you're a host for MILLIONS of giardia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom