2013 LC200 (American) whirring noise behind the dash on cold start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have any updates on solutions to this problem? Just encountered it on a drive back from the mountains, about 2 hours into my drive home at around 50 degrees outside the noise started. I had head it previously on cold starts but never happening during a normal drive. May end up pulling the dash apart and seeing if I can locate that fan.

Mine's doing it too. Just found this thread after posting.

I started the thread- haven’t had a repeat in some time. Dealers were not of any help- tried three different ones!

I do have another thread with some other noise questions related to frame movement left and right- have any of those? :)

Bubbling this back up. Just bought a 2010 LX with great service record. I didn't notice the noise on the test drive, but it's there and very rhythmic at startup. All HVAC, seat fans, and cool box are turned off.

I got some dollars knocked off because the Navigation screen is yellow. If I go for a full Nav system swap (versus just trying to replace the touchscreen panel), I wonder if it'll go away.

Either way, I'll be pulling the system out at some point. I'm NOT electrically inclined - is there a simple way to power the Nav unit on for a bench test, so I can try to replicate and isolate the noise?

Either way, I'll be pulling the system out at some point. I'm NOT electrically inclined - is there a simple way to power the Nav unit on for a bench test, so I can try to replicate and isolate the noise?

The simple way would be to ground it and give +12v on the ignition and accessory pins, once we establish where those are. Whether that'll get it going enough to test the fan bushing theory is another matter.. but simple enough to try as long as we can get power to those small pins without shorting across to anything else in the plug.

If you can't get bench startup figured out I'd be willing to take the unit and open it to apply voltage to the fans directly..

Alternately as you remove the unit you can try and power it up with it hanging out of the dash to see whether that helps locate the noise.

I'm excited that someone is digging in to this..

Not sure this was mentioned already in this thread ... I had a similar noise (fan bearing failure) and assumed it is coming from the dashboard, at least it sounded that way.
It turned out to be the fan on the amplifier that is actually unde the driver seat, under the carpet. I have floor mats that somehow cover the under-seat space on the rear projecting/bouncing the sound forward and I think that explains why I was hearing it as coming from the front.

Check that just to make sure. The amp fan exhaust is on the console side. On mine if I press it with my fingers, I can make it stop making noise for a while. No need to remove anything, maybe just the 2nd row seat floor mats as the access is from the back of the seat (maybe slide the seat forward to). Give it a try and see if the noise changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom