2001 LX 470 - won’t drive in ‘High’ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you've not check a hub flange to axle teeth before this may help. This stuff will give you a few of the basic of how to check.

Place your bottle jack under one lower control arm, raise just one tire off ground at a time. See how much you can turn the wheel in relation to the front drive shaft.

This video the hub flange and axle teeth have worn yielding excessive play. But it has not stripped out as yours may have. In this one it yields a D-N-R clunk. If not corrected it will eventually strip out the teeth and can result in your symptoms.

You can also pull off grease cap and inspect snap ring, teeth of hub flange & axle with wheel on.
002.JPG

Here's a hub flange as seen from the back side after removing. It's very worn, but was still holding.
Hub flange teeth worn.jpg

Here's a good for comparison.
Hub flange new (2) 06LC 196K.jpg

Make sure you check out the easy stuff before you go sinking time and money in a transfer case.

Here's a video of excessive play of hub flange to axle teeth with snap ring on, as seen from under grease cap. It will eventually strip the teeth if not corrected.

At this stage it just yielding a D-N-R clunk.

Here I just set a camera in place. While holding the brake on, I shift between D & R.
This is with new OEM hub flange & axle (front drive shaft). Doesn't get any better.

As you can see, there are a number of easy ways to check your hub flange and snap ring.

Last edited:
Put it in high and lock the center diff. If it drives okay, probably something to do with the front hub/cv joints/front diff...

Help Please - 'Broke' 4-High During Extraction from Snow Bank Check out this thread I believe its the problem your having

Local shop will rebuild the transfer case for $2600. Says a new one is $4500. Calling big time BS on that. I have a grease monkey friend who I’m willing to ask to help me do it. Is this a job we can do??

Again...
-Put the transfer case in high
-Lock the center diff
-If the truck moves the issue is not the transfer case
-If the grinding noise still persists and the truck drives it is probably the hubs or splines as @2001LC suggests.
You can rule out the transfer case as the problem by following my points above. There is a 1% chance that is actually the problem

I saw in first few post @aging fleet, @OutoftheMud and others recommended you engage the the CDL. You did do that right?

Be aware that CDL switches not regularly used, very often freeze up. So if that doesn't/didn't yield drive in "H", continue with your inspection to isolate anyway.

Great. Do you guys know of a thread or video that can offer some guidance on this? TIA

Again...
-Lock the center diff
-If the grinding noise still persists and the truck drives it is probably the hubs or splines as @2001LC suggests.
You can rule out the transfer case as the problem by following my points above. There is a 1% chance that is actually the problem
perfect! thank you

Folks 2001 LX does not auto-engage CDL in L... Sure, try to engage the CDL just to make sure, but to me it's seeming like this is a very uncommon occurrence of an actual issue with the transfer case. Works in L and grinds in H seems like either not engaging in H or something is FUBAR... Worst case, grab a salvage yard transfer case...3 tc skid bolts, 16 drive shaft bolts, 6(2 somewhat hard to get to) transfer case bolts...easy peasy. Actually you might have 13 crossmember bolts too and need to support the transmission...but the general idea is the same. Shouldn't be any trouble to switch out if you can find a reasonably priced unit...

Again...
-Lock the center diff
Followed these steps...locked the center diff. Giving me the exact same grind when putting the transmission into gear. I will be following some of the other steps listed above, to check the hub flange etc.

Ok. Had it parked on my driveway, slight grade. Put it in H. Was going to crawl under the front while my wife shifts between R & D. While in H and in park (P), the whole rig roles backward when I take foot off the break.

im thinking this is in fact a t-case. wondering if replacing is better than rebuild. I'm finding several online for like 1,000. hoping the labor isn't too crazy. But would think having a pro install it would be worth the extra money.

R&R can be done in roughly 4 hours if you know what you are doing and stay on it. All in all it is pretty straight forward. I'd mind a local mudder to take a look at it for you. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to lend a few minutes of time to help troubleshoot.

Looks like you didn't get lucky!

The only time I've had roll in "P" is when transfer case disingraded in "N". Sinces you've already tried properly & hard to get into "H", and It works in "L' indicating shifter is working. This is looking like your trans-shop was correct.

Auto recyclers will have these T-cases lying around as not much call for them.

ToyoDIY.com
I didn't have your VIN, so be a good idea for you to punch it in. It shows difference in part #, what difference is IDK. But I do recall and issues with vibration that the new may have corrected. A TSB on in in FAQ IIRC
36130-6A220 (01/1998 - 03/2001).
36130-6A221 (04/2001 - 07/2002)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom