2.2 kw 2.0 kw and 1.4 kw starters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm guessing this is a 2.0 kw starter? No identifying marks, the sticker/part number is gone. I need to order some new contacts and want to make sure I get the right ones.
P1020733.JPG

Damm, now that I have the LX, maybe I should have kept it:mad:. What was I thinking? That I would kick the addiction?
Well, I'm going to hold on to all the extra stuff: the extra radiator, fan, fan clutch, ABS, heater core, heater box, blower fan, switches, controls, lift-gate...:D

Work on, wheel with rigs that include all types, all start well? Other than drawing more battery power what is the advantage, maybe for those who live in the arctic? Can see the "must have the rarest piece" thing, but for a rig that is wheeled, would think the most common would be the most desirable? :confused:

I need help I need help identifying my starter. I have a 95 so I thought for sure I would have a 2.0kw. Mine appears to have the casing of a 2.2kw but it has 10 splines. What starter do I have??? The new starter in the picture is a 2.0kw reman

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

That's a 1.4 kw.

You just upgraded.

This is what cruiser head do, we have to have double of everything, including myself!!

well for me at least, I feel better having redundancy in the middle of nowhere for major items like starters, alternators, etc that might go bad and then the best quality of everything else, but you can't plan for everything, that's for sure....

If you bring 2 of EVERYTHING then might as well buy a jeep so you get to use it. :p

did I say everything? no, I did not, but major items like a starter it makes sense, a starter, alternator, fuse, etc will leave you stranded on remote trails I have been on, like I said you can never carry 2 of everything but my point is that I would rather have 2 non oem starters than one OEM starter in the middle of nowhere. Redundancy......

Speaking of starter identification, I'm curious to confirm what seems implied here...

Are these starters all essentially interchangeable?

I'm changing what is apparently a reman starter. No OEM tags on it anyway. Seemed no point in a rebuild since not OEM and cost is only $129. Parts house gave me one with a 9 tooth drive gear, plus it had the shroud on it, like on the left starter in the 3-way comparison pic. I had a 10-tooth drive gear, so returned that one and am waiting on a 10-tooth one.

Should I have just kept and installed the 9-tooth drive gear?

Thanks, Tools, but got 'er done now.

I returned to Autobone and fetched back the one I sent to their return bin. Worked perfectly. Saved the truck being down at least two days. Wife happy she gets to go to market on Saturday as usual. Truck starts every time now.

Maybe answered my own question, but I suspect any of the particular OEM starters mentioned here or their remans will work on any 1FZ 80 series. Dunno 'bout diesels.

The one I got, returned, then retrieved and installed is apparently one that is the winterized one, which seems to be indicated by the 9 tooth gear. It really zips things along when you turn the key compared to the old 10 tooth one -- at least when it was working.

I suspect the shrouded drive gear indicates its core was originally from the fabled rare 93 starters, assuming that's the identifying feature. I think it's most like only 2.0 kw now and not 2.2 kw, though, due to being remanned?

Anyway, I just wanted to ask that because all the emphasis on starter ID in this and several other threads, while interesting and useful, had me thinking it actually mattered what works on the truck. They all will and that can be important in a pinch, getting down the road, whatever. I'd have preferred a Denso, in fact probably would've given one of our always helpful Mud vendors the biz, but the lack of a tag had me in a quandary. I needed the truck running, didn't want to drop the starter just to count teeth, for instance. Now that I know it doesn't matter, any of them will fit, never have to sweat that, just figured I'd throw that out there so people know. I'm actually glad to step up to the faster starter drive. It gets cold here sometimes.

Just wanted to update since this thread is still relevant and the most quoted in starters. I recently ordered an ACdelco 2.2 from rock auto. When it arrived however it was a 2.0 no shrouded spur and no internal bolts. However, it was rated at 2.2 and the list as well as the info with the starter all state 2.2. (image is 2.0 however I was hoping for a wrong image, instead I got wrong starter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom