2.2 kw 2.0 kw and 1.4 kw starters

Visit site
Picked up a used 2.2 kw starter from voorland80 (many thanks again!). I thought it would be nice to see how the starters compared in size so I lined them up. Pretty impressive how big the 2.2 is
starter.jpg

Visit site
My Jap import '93 had a weedy 1.4kw, swapped it with the 2kw on the 95 that went to Zambia (coldest it gets on winter nights is about 10 degrees, normally more like 30 deg - so no problem with cold starts there).
'93 starts much better in UK winters with the bigger motor!

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
Visit site
Not a whole bunch bigger as the PZ/HZ/HD-T starters are 2.5kW for 12V and 4.5kW for 24V.

I was holding a diesel starter for an HJ-60 in my hand 2 weeks ago at 4x4 Labs, and it was easily double the size of the largest starter pictured here. The solenoid section is roughly the same, but the motor was huge. It was from an HJ60 originally sold in Germany.

Visit site
Not a whole bunch bigger as the PZ/HZ/HD-T starters are 2.5kW for 12V and 4.5kW for 24V.

I was holding a diesel starter for an HJ-60 in my hand 2 weeks ago at 4x4 Labs, and it was easily double the size of the largest starter pictured here. The solenoid section is roughly the same, but the motor was huge. It was from an HJ60 originally sold in Germany.

The 24V 4.5kW starter in my 1HD-T cruiser and the spare one on the shelf are not a whole bunch bigger than 2.2kW one in the OP:
2c_1_sbl.jpg

Visit site
I have the 2.2kw on my 96 1FZFE with no worries. Starts up nicely, especially in the cold. That ring around the gear is part of the starter. When you turn the key, the gear is pushed out of that ring (by the plunger) and engages with the flywheel.

S.CarolinaFZJ80

SILVER Star
Visit site
Thanks 96r50!

I have the 2.2kw on my 96 1FZFE with no worries. Starts up nicely, especially in the cold. That ring around the gear is part of the starter. When you turn the key, the gear is pushed out of that ring (by the plunger) and engages with the flywheel.

Visit site
I just got the plunger and contacts and they are supposed to be the same for the 1.4kw or the 2.0 kw. We shall soon see, depending upon how hard this starter removal thing really is. My attendance at my best friends band is highly dependent upon this not taking forever, ie a couple hours, we shall see.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom