1HDT Clutch Vs Power (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

And here I am thinking with my buttons about what kind of power upgrades or even "raw HPs" would the stock clutch handle.

In my case I'm running a custom clutch based on the stock one but it isn't all that much aggressive then the stock one. Engine wise I'm running stock CT-26 @ 15Lbs, water cooled and pump "tuned". No idea of what power it's making...

Please share what numbers and upgrades are you running along with which clutch.

Cheers

Well you'll see how much your clutch can handle .. coz that will depends on how healthy it's your clutch right now .. first sign on mine was slipping in 4th when going from coasting to WOT around to 2K rpm ..

My 328K clutch has just started to slip on cold nights. Slips in 4th @ 1800ish rpm prob around peak torque

Im running 13psi @ the inlet, 3" exhaust, front mount intercooler and a tune not sure on power.

Im guessing its at the end of its life though not through raw power.

Hi,

Thanks for your input!

A brand new stock clutch will slip with a G-turbo and tuned pump at 16 psi.

Good tip!! By the way what clutch do you recon will handle that kind of power? Terrain tamer, Xtreme Outback? In my old SJ413 I had one similar to the terrain tamer ones but by Centerforce it was great.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for your input!

Good tip!! By the way what clutch do you recon will handle that kind of power? Terrain tamer, Xtreme Outback? In my old SJ413 I had one similar to the terrain tamer ones but by Centerforce it was great.

Cheers

I used the one from Xxiindustries (Home Page). They claim it is equilibrated for the G-Turboes. It looked like a very well built product and has held up great so far.

Hi,

Thanks for your input!
Cheers
We are importers for Terrain Tamer in US, so we are a little biased, but we have had good luck with their products, including clutches. :)

Terrain Tamer's has line of clutch kits are designed for a range of needs:

Regular - OEM Replacement - High quality for most uses
Clutch Kits - OE Replacement

Heavy Duty - Designed for mine use, expedition, overland, other extreme loads and use
Clutch Kits - Heavy Duty

Fortified - Specially built for armored applications and other uses where vehicle weight and engine output is significantly increased. Torque capacity up to 80% over OEM
Fortified Clutches

My guess is HD would meet your needs. Give them a call at 1300 888 444

Good luck!

PS - Here's a vid of Allan Gray walking through the OEM kit

upload_2017-5-6_17-21-28.png

Last edited:
x2 on the XXi; I had one on my HDJ80 making 154rwkw and 580 RWNM and it worked well. Not much heavier pedal than my WRX and not grabby or anything like that

IMG_2463.JPG
We've installed quite a few turbos, performed diesel conversions, added bigger turbos like the Grunter ....... I always run the Terrain Tamer HD/HP clutches and they've performed flawless.
A lot of the cruisers we work on are dual purpose vehicles; daily drivers and weekend wheelers. Some of them run trails like the Rubicon.
Hope that helps.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

What Georg said. My set up is a 1hdt w2a intercooler, 3" exh, modified fuel pin, Grunter and it pulled right through a brand new oem clutch. I think it has a TT heavy duty in it now. No problems.

That old mechanic Allen Gray is 82 according to one episode

And he's been wrenching on cruisers since they started importing them to Oz.
He literally worked on the first one ever brought to Australia.

:)

IMG_0287.JPG
We don't just sell these clutches but we also install them in customers vehicles and our own!!!!

Finished this 80-series conversion about half a year ago.
1HDFT
Grunter turbo
Safari intercooler
Terrain Tamer clutch
H151F
HF2a case with Terrain Tamer OD gears and 3.12:1 low gear set
And some other goodies.

:)

#terraintamer #valleyhybrids

For which application?

Exactly 1 year ago I had a brand new factory turbo clutch same as the V8 diesel , I bolted on a grunter extreme turbo and went for a drive ........slipped like a bitch , hadn't even tuned the bloody fuel pump
I fitted an NPC performance clutch with their new flywheel , apparently good for 1200nm ,pedal feel with this clutch is lighter than my missus subaru
I just came back from a trip up north towing my 6m boat 2000kms with some big hills in between and no issues at all

Speaking to G-Turbo recently enquiring about a Grunter for my hj61, and they suggested NPC and the flywheel. Not cheap - but not something you would want to do twice...

I got a price on a 100 series auto conversion ,,,,,,now that is not cheap $18000
I was a bit sceptical at first about the NPC but once installed and I tuned the pump , holy shizzer , my 80 hauls arse now , even with 2 tonne on the back
The light pedal is awesome compared to my mates factory clutch . Do it
I can even smoke the all wheel drive 34s around an intersection.

And you can sell your old clutch and flywheel for good money if it hasn't done much work
Remember:
Economical powerful and cheap never bolt together properly

Just to edit my previous post a couple up...
I phoned NPC today and they don't do a custom clutch for the 12ht. They modify an Exedy to handle 650Nm (without the heavy peddle of the Exedy Safari Tuff...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom