Builds 1FZ-FE TRD S/C Rebuild

Nice! just got all my parts back from the machine shop last week. About to go down the same road using the same bearings. Look forward to seeing your updates. I believe my machine shop replaced the two small plugs on the front of the block using made in house brass plugs. :meh:
Bearings were very impressive on quality. Picture of plastigage is not very good, but we are consistently .002 across the board.

I also worked on the thrust and ended up at .004 but plan on rechecking one more time before the final torque. Very pleased with NDC bearings.

Bearings were very impressive on quality. Picture of plastigage is not very good, but we are consistently .002 across the board.

I also worked on the thrust and ended up at .004 but plan on rechecking one more time before the final torque. Very pleased with NDC bearings.
Nice! i bought a dial indicator and base to try and measure thrust when assembling. We'll see how it goes.

Where in MT are you? I lived in Bozeman for 6 years and just moved west a year and change ago.

Yep. Same. Be careful with the thrust cap. Mine seated too tight the first time and I measured 1 thousandth. There are different techniques here. Also, Never use an impact wrench to seat the bearing caps. You could break off a piece of the block by doing that. Rubber mallet helps seat it correctly.

That’s right in the middle of the spec right where you want to be. .0008-.0087 in
E49140AB-7E21-4E14-9E74-85DC0F48576D.jpeg
My machinist taught me to check the clearance with the thrust cap off then on and compare. They should be the same or your thrust cap is binding.

Machine shop cleaned and bead blasted a number of parts. Noticed this on one of my exhaust manifolds. Is this a factory coating that is chipped off? Planning on painting these.
094C9314-A5E2-4D5F-A961-5D88E5F2C76B.jpeg

I'm guessing that's where chunks of rust were. Look into using slip plate on exhaust manifolds if u wanna go with a cheap coating. Lots of old car dudes use it.

Top Bottom