Builds 1995 PZJ75 refurbish/build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers said:
nope, this time i am trying a modified garrett turbo...

Do you know the ARs on hot and cold side?

nope, i never bothered to ask at this point.. once i test it then i will get it written down for the other 3 PZs i have coming in...

crushers said:
LOL!!
yep, cut it twice and the bugger is still too short...

oops, my bad, the driveshaft was too long...
and i should elaborate, the length had nothing to do with the Belton kit. i measured the old springs and the new ones match the old ones for center pin exactly. how the mines ever got this driveshaft on is beyond me...

cheers

I guess I'm too late. I have a brand new, from the dealer, Toyota BJ75 driveshaft we could have tried .

so I just got back form my first quick test drive all I can say is I am surprised. I thought it would be a bit of a dog naturally aspirated but it moves nicely, pulls strong, seems to rev quicker than a NA 1HZ. the tranny shifts nice but it needs 5th gear, breaks great and handles superb.
tomorrow I am going to take another leaf out of the back and about 4 out of the front, it rides WAY too rough. finish off the interior, fix the fuel gauge that isn't working and hopefully get the running boards on, bend the 4wd shifter, find the air cleaner box and finish attaching the snorkel...
cheers for now...
<I will try and get some more pics up soon>

Last edited:
test times

so i took the little truck for it's first run on the highway.
stock truck with a bit larger tires.
4.56 gears
235/85/16 street tires
141 4 speed
Naturally asperated 1PZ

it really like 90 k/h but will do 120 k/h in a pinch.
it is a quiet engine and nice and peppy, pulls nicely.

0-100 was a relaxing 23 seconds. now i think i could shave a second or two off if i was to practice the shifts for when it was making the best power for the next gear but this will make for a decent comparrision once the turbo goes on later this week.
the HDJ81 auto with 31s did 0-100 in 17 seconds and the turbo 1HZ on 35s did it in 15 seconds.

the steering was straight on, one finger steering with no "crown pulling" experienced. the braking was sure and strong. the cabin was nice and quiet.
all in all i am pleased with the little girl.
i want to turbo it, run 2 3/4" quiet exhaust and install a 5 speed. oh and of course try out PI on it somewhere down the line.

cheers

crushers said:
the HDJ81 auto with 31s did 0-100 in 17 seconds and the turbo 1HZ on 35s did it in 15 seconds.

Wooooouuuuu .. ! 15 segs are really good number ... awesome .. !

turbo install

some pics of the adapter plate installed.
note how the back 2 bolts goes through the plate and into the stock maifold.
also note the pre-turbo installation of the pyrometer. i want to test the difference before and after the turbo for temp differences.

has anyone else found parts missing int he autometer kits? i have install plenty of these in the last few months and i have come across more and more with pices missing. this pyro kit was missing the bung for installing (the one in the picture. i have also found sensor missing, adapters for the boost gauges and for the oil pressure gauges... i am not impressed at all. when i mention my concerns Mopac just tell me to go to Gregg's and buy the missing pieces with no appology at all...
sheesh
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG

Last edited:
the turbo oil feed line and mechanical oil pressure gauge feed replacing the stock sender. i did this more since the factory dash has no oil pressure gauge at all just a idiot light.
the stock intake cross over pipe has a tapped reciever for the boost pressure gauge.
i also insterted the tiney plastic line for the oil pressure gauge in a large rubber since it is installed low and close to items that could rub the line.
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG

the turbo fits nicely in the opening. although it apears to be a tight fit there is about 3/4" clearence from the engine mount. it is hard to take the proper pic of the gap but there is plenty.
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG

the dash pot for the waste gate needs to be relocated back from the turbo so a custom linkage will need to be made as well as a different mounting.

the bung for the oil return line is welded in place.
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG

the adapter before clean up. this moves the dash pot back into the opening in the block, i will need to lengthen the control rod next...
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG

looks like there is alot of room to work in there, nice work Wayne

the waste gate is now installed and the turbo is mounted...
the waste gate fits into the block recess excellent and right above the engine mount...
IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG

i was able to get the gauges hooked up and installed. complete PITA when you find a knik in the oil feed line and have to rerun a new line.

the pyro, oil feed and return line are installed on the turbo. as you can see the "T" in the boost line to go to the gauge as well as the boost control.

that is it for tonight and tomorrow i have to go look at a set of 6 cruisers a guy wants to unload so no more pics or updates till monday...

cheers
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG

Looks liki it is coming along nicely. I'm interested to hear the difference. Are you going to run it without a muffler?

nah, i like my trucks quiet, the mor eyou loose your hearing the more it means to you to be able to hear...
cheers

Work on truck

Hey Wayne! Just got done reading the complete thread on your truck. What a labor of love. You weren't done in August, but is sure is looking amazing. The pics help so much to see what you are doing and look forward to more pics as you continue working on it unto completion.

yep, i was cruising along nicely when the shop i contracted to do the tray back doddled along taking up much valued time... but as usual the important thing is to have the tray back done right and to be practical.
the turbo should be done soon as well as the wabasco heater then it is off to the exhaust place for 3" exhaust and then back to the contractors to get the trayback finished, i really hope it is done by Nov 1st for pismo beach...
cheers and thanks for the compliment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom