1994 FJZ Stereo Upgrade - 3D Printing and Other Custom Stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to be posting progress as I upgrade my 94 FJZ80 Stereo. Going for a factory look wherever possible, and getting creative with 3D Printing to overcome the small, shallow door speaker limitations. Here's the gear I'm working with so far:

• Front Door Speakers: Morel Maximo 5.25 Components (hope to 3D Print and mount tweeters by the rear view mirror trim.)
  • Rear Door Speakers: Rockford Fosgate Punch 5.25 P152's. (Bumped out to clear the window with Custom 3DP bezel)
  • Sub: JL Audio 6W3c3-4 6.5" (Seeing if I can use factory bracket)
  • Amp: Alpine MRV-M250 (May 3D Print a mounting bracket or something.)
  • Head unit: Don't know yet. 🧐
  • Remaining dash/headliner speakers: Don't know and not sure if I care. Considering mounting the Morel tweeters in the lower dash location (if the A pillar location doesn't work.)
  • Going to use some Dynamat inside door panels along the way.
Digging into the back door speakers first as they seem to be the easiest place to start.
- Pry grill off to reveal JANKY blown original speaker.
- Remove 3 screws and pry out the plastic speaker basket housing. (Gotta break through the adhesive) Cut wires.
- Used the OEM speaker basket to template the new 3D mount, built up the height, increased the diameter, and included the new speaker hole pattern.
- Masked the door (for sparks) and Dremeled the opening to increase clearance for the big Punch magnet and for wiring clearance.
- Xacto cut out the door material to provide access to the 3 original screw mounts.
-

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.18.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.18.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.23.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.23.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.30.38 PM.png

Forum noob here - I couldn't post any more pics so replying to my own thread. 😂

This pic shows how it goes together. With the standoffs, this magnet still clears the power window actuator.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.41.18 PM.png

This image shows it roughly comped into the opening. Going to sand, prime, and paint the standoff for a cleaner look. Debating between black or gray. These stand a little taller than I hoped, but I think when it's painted and installed, I won't mind.
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.41.32 PM.png

I was originally hoping to use the factory grill, but I didn't see a realistic way to attach it to the 5.25's. I think these RF Punch Grills are a decent match.

That's all the progress for now. I'll post more when it matters.

Looks nice so far.

My opinion is that it's not worth trying to reuse the factory sub bracket. With no enclosure at all, that speaker doesn't do much of anything.

Looks nice so far.

My opinion is that it's not worth trying to reuse the factory sub bracket. With no enclosure at all, that speaker doesn't do much of anything.

I have that concern too... have you tried it yourself with bad results, or (like me) are you just aware that free space subs are sub-par? (not funny) I read where using dynamat helps...(?)

Finally got this door project complete - so here's a few more process pics...

First I smashed some connectors on, knowing this door panel will come off again at some point.
Notice I adhered some dynamat behind the speaker - probably only a 5x5 piece situated behind the speaker - but I figure it will help dampen some of that direct sound reflection.

1.jpg

Here's the painted 3D Printed Platform in place - note the need to slightly carve out the door panel to accommodate the posts. It was a perfect fit - reused the original factory screws. No gaps, or overtight moments. 👍

2.jpg

The speaker magnet and connectors cleared the bigger cutout as hoped, and the 3D print was customized to fit the Fosgate screw pattern - so far so good.

3.jpg

The grill and final screws cinch the whole thing together in a very satisfying way.

4.jpg

IMO these speaker grills do a decent job of maintaining the factory look - as compared with some of the more outrageous designs you often see on grills trying to be showy.

Zooming out a bit, the Gray color really helped to blend the platform into the door. The warmer gray color is a great match to the door upholstery - tone on tone, baby.

6.jpg

So the big question is - how do they sound? Well, right now I'd say noticeably better - but since I am still running the factory head unit for now, I think they are starved for power. I expect I'll get the full punch out of these when I upgrade the head unit.

All in all, I'm super pleased with this first upgrade - hoping the rest go this well. 🧐

That looks real good. I like the use of the factory mounting location. I went a little bigger with mine and integrated a handle for the kids to climb in with but I had to do riv-nuts in the door metal to secure it. But that is why 3D printing is so awesome... see a need.. print a fix.

once again nice work!

That looks real good. I like the use of the factory mounting location. I went a little bigger with mine and integrated a handle for the kids to climb in with but I had to do riv-nuts in the door metal to secure it. But that is why 3D printing is so awesome... see a need.. print a fix.

once again nice work!
That is phenomenal man! What a smart way to address 2 needs in one. I appreciate the bold color choice too - while I am going for the OEM look, I think allowing the kind of upgrade you did to shine is an equally cool approach. To me it's a matter of committing to one or the other - the in-between approach wouldn't feel right.

Great work, would you be willing to share the file so others can 3D print them?

This looks great! Add mounting patterns for a couple other major brands of speakers, and offer color options and this would be a great product for the 80 community.

I have that concern too... have you tried it yourself with bad results, or (like me) are you just aware that free space subs are sub-par? (not funny) I read where using dynamat helps...(?)

I have not tried any free-air upgrades because I'm reasonably convinced it won't be worth the effort. :) I put a powered sub box behind the quarter panel: Subwoofer, factory location/hidden

Would love to purchase some of those spacers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom