Subwoofer, factory location/hidden (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a couple pics of the subwoofer install I just did...another option for filling that otherwise-wasted space. :cool: I didn't want to go through the work of building a box, and the free-air solutions don't seem like they'd work any better than the factory option did, in my mind. I also didn't want a box taking up my cargo space, nor have anything be a target for theft.

I ended up with a Rockford Fosgate PS-8, which is an 8" powered sub intended for under-seat applications.

If I put it approximately here, it will clear the cubby in front, and fit nicely behind the panel.

A little trial and error yielded this bracket. Pretty happy that it fit. :)

Painted and done:

If you look close, you might be able to see it behind the factory speaker grill. You can also spot the "Rockford Fosgate" logo through the lower vent, but you have to put your head down by the floor and look up through the louvers to do so. :D Otherwise, it's invisible. It does fill out the lower frequencies nicely, compared to just relying on the 6.5" speakers in all the doors. Great success!

Last edited:
Winning! I'm looking to do exactly the same, but going to try the Kicker under-seat box.

very nice.....

tis indeed a small & obtuse sized area - no where close to being rectangular -

indeed - specs on the ps-8 are 14.4 x 9.4 x 3.3 (in) - tis the 3.3" depth that tis the key.
so it means - they have a 8" sub in a rough .21 ft3 seal box -quite impressive....

used to be back in the old day 8" subs need .75 ft3 minimum of air....

also quite the score - powered - so no need for under DS seat amp...
and 100% stealth -

again excellent job - saved in my bookmarks for future reference....

Bf

very nice.....

tis indeed a small & obtuse sized area - no where close to being rectangular -

indeed - specs on the ps-8 are 14.4 x 9.4 x 3.3 (in) - tis the 3.3" depth that tis the key.
so it means - they have a 8" sub in a rough .21 ft3 seal box -quite impressive....

used to be back in the old day 8" subs need .75 ft3 minimum of air....

also quite the score - powered - so no need for under DS seat amp...
and 100% stealth -

again excellent job - saved in my bookmarks for future reference....

Bf
How far 'back in the day' were 8" subs requiring that much of an enclosure?

this is an amp and sub in one?

Nice. I've toyed with outfitting the center console "glove box" with one or replacing with a custom box (with good cupholders) seems like a good potential downfiring location. A nice bracket with bolts already for us underneath.

I'd love more info on the bracket. Can you share a bit about your build process?

I measured the factory bracket, and measured where the additional holes were in the truck, and drew the hole pattern in CAD. Cut out a flat sample piece out of thin 20ga steel on my plasma table to verify the hole locations. I adjusted them appropriately, then added the space to allow for the bends, and recessing the sub-mount part back to where it needs to be. That part was a little harder than it should have been, since the sub is recessed more at the bottom than it is at the top. (3D modeling software would have made things easier, I suspect) Then cut this version from 16ga steel, bent it up, and weld in the gusset you can see up top.

this is an amp and sub in one?

Yes, all in one unit.

If you are fabing the brackets, I'm in for one.

super clean install. i'm in for a bracket. If you don't have the time, i'll take specs and make my own with booger welds since i don't own a brake

I can make you one, especially if you're local to me (SLC, UT area). Shipping one might be more hassle than it's worth, but I can provide the .dxf file if you want to have it cut/bent locally...

I measured the factory bracket, and measured where the additional holes were in the truck, and drew the hole pattern in CAD. Cut out a flat sample piece out of thin 20ga steel on my plasma table to verify the hole locations. I adjusted them appropriately, then added the space to allow for the bends, and recessing the sub-mount part back to where it needs to be. That part was a little harder than it should have been, since the sub is recessed more at the bottom than it is at the top. (3D modeling software would have made things easier, I suspect) Then cut this version from 16ga steel, bent it up, and weld in the gusset you can see up top.

Yes, all in one unit.

I can make you one, especially if you're local to me (SLC, UT area). Shipping one might be more hassle than it's worth, but I can provide the .dxf file if you want to have it cut/bent locally...
I'd definitely take the dxf file if you'd wouldn't mind. I can have it cut locally. My Kicker sub is exactly the same dimensions as your Fosgate unit.

I would like to request the dxf file, if you sell and ship to alaska all the better.

Can i please request the file as well?

Give me your Email addresses, and I'll send the file to you. :)

Wow - that's a great idea. Any chance of you making a bracket for each side and selling? I'm just getting ready to redo all of the factory speakers + head unit in the next few weeks. These brackets will solve my 'where to put the sub' issue!

I haven't looked much at the other side, since that's where the jack and tool kit live in mine. Plus the fuel filler, not sure if that would be in the way or not. It would be pretty neat if all the holes were there and I could just use a mirror image bracket.

How far 'back in the day' were 8" subs requiring that much of an enclosure?

so we are talking like in the 80's and 90's - even today (generally looking) 8" subs require .5 ft3 - which again is 12x12x6
(not including speaker displacement) -

can tell you for a fact - maxiumum depth for a speaker box is (at most 2.75") - so (just doing the math - you need a box ~ 17x17x2.75
to get to .5ftc (864 inches) - so again no way 17" is going to fit in that cubby....

I believe a while back someone did a fiberglass enclosure - contouring to the cubby - which then gives you a bit more ft3 -

for me - I simply went 6" sub - maxing out around .3 ft3 - indeed not great bass - but decent for my 45 year old beats.

bF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom