SOLD 1991 HDJ81 55K or Whatever - I am keeping it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added New Pics of the under-carriage, showing suspension, and all the rest.
If Other pics are requested please let me know.

Year 1991

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iFpYP7tPvgd6wica6

This car is NOT in a rough Shape - This would be my car of choice if i were to keep one since all I would need to do is add tires, wheels, and an aftermarket front bumper. nd get someone to buff it for me.

Someone was silly enough to fiberglass the bumper instead of fixing it properly.
The decals are fading. The paint needs buffing to get the black spots out.
Only 2 scratches: one on the left front fender and one on the right Back, and high up the column. The driver may have backed up into something.

88,000 KM - about 55K or 56K miles.
OEM Differential Locks Front and Rear.
Some Body issues - Minor cosmetic scratches and damage to front OEM bumper, & left side Mirror.
Very Good Condition In and Out
Great & Clean Engine
2 Brand New Batteries
OEM Winch
OEM Lift 2"
OEM Tire Carrier
Runs excellent
Shifts smooth
No Rust
Needs Tires and Rims
Spare Tire is Brand New!
Timing Belt, Water Pump and Filters Included as Spare Parts (I intended to do Maintenance before selling, but...)

Can Arrange Transport.

IMG_20181009_104229.jpg

IMG_20181009_104223.jpg

IMG_20181009_104259.jpg

IMG_20181009_104241.jpg

IMG_20181009_104312.jpg

Last edited:
Post up the vin number please maybe someone here can pull the records on it.

@SteveJackson

I added More Photos of the Undercarriage to show you how clean this car is.
As I said it is just stupid scratches.

Of the 2 cars I would keep this one as it would only need a Bumper and a new set of tires and wheels.
I would also have it polished and buff out the black spots on the plastic fenders.

I saw this one when it was going through the auctions. There are no odometer reports for this truck prior to 2016. Based on a few visual cues, LCD did not buy this truck.

Thank you for not buying it. But it wasn't cheap, Ater All expenses, it is close to the asking price.
I did, however, reduce the cost of shipping by buying 3 vehicles at once.

This is the car I would want to keep of the 2 LC I Imported.

The other one, 1992, will need a lift, Tire Carrier, & Winch. And the paint is too good on it, I would hate to make anything else than a daily driver.

The body issues do not matter as This will most like be converted to an Offroad vehicle (just needs a few Mods)

It is actually very clean in and out and underneath.

It was checked here by a Certified Diesel Mechanic. Nothing has been tampered with.

You can look at the Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iFpYP7tPvgd6wica6

But you do this for a living so your comments are appreciated.

Also, the Export Certificate will only list the Odometer Reading the starting the first time the car is put into Auction.
This went to Auction in 2016 then driven for a while, then went back to auction in 2018.

Not having an Odometer reading prior to 2016 does not mean that is an unreliable reading.

The export certificate will have the last 2 or 3 reported readings, auction results or not. After a records search of all prefectures, there are no other odometer records for this truck anywhere in Japan prior to 2016. That would include MLIT records as well. I wouldn't say the lack of records means the odometer is altered. But the lack of data to verify the odometer and that the leading zero doesn't line up with the rest of the odometer numbers are clues although not definitive.

Yes, it the Export Certificat which I posted here does have 2 readings. I have the inspection documents, Registration and Auction Documents.

Please Share any additional documentation showing the search you've done on the history of this vehicle,

Or at least share the type of Documents you provide with the Imported Vehicles you sell on your site.

Yes, it the Export Certificat which I posted here does have 2 readings. I have the inspection documents, Registration and Auction Documents.

Please Share any additional documentation showing the search you've done on the history of this vehicle,

Or at least share the type of Documents you provide with the Imported Vehicles you sell on your site.

LCD doesn't buy vehicles unless the odometer can be confirmed, in this case there are no other records because there are no odometer readings reported anywhere in Japan prior to 2016. I commented here after being tagged and asked to offer my opinion about the KM's.

How do you Know that there are no other odometer reading reported in Japan?
Which documents do you go by to confirm this for the cars you sell?
How do you specifically know this about this car?

Since you are saying that you did not buy this vehicle because you couldn't verify the odometer and that there is no other odometer reading in Japan, you must already have that report handy. Right? Please share it.

I used Independent Vehicle Inspection companies to certify the odometer and condition of this vehicle Twice by 2 different Inspection Companies.

This car was listed twice (that I know of), the first time I did not meet the reserve of about $12,000.00, but it did not sell. I had it Fully inspected by a 2nd independent inspector before it came back on the Auction block 2 weeks later. Armed with the 2 inspections I bid beyond the reserve and got it.

If you provide additional documents for the vehicles you sell on your site, http://www.landcruisersdirect.com, please share them with us, and I will immediately contact the same inspectors you use to get that same report for this car.

For example, how do you know that this car Land Cruisers Direct - 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 VX #1253
listed on your site for $27,000 really has 70,060 miles? What document do you ask for? What document do you show your buyers?

I am not a Dealer. I bought 3 great cars to save on fees and transport (2 Land Cruisers and a 1973 Mercedes 380 LHD).
I am keeping 1 or 2 and selling 1 or 2. I don 't even expect to make a 10% margin on these cars.

I am not trying to cheat anyone or make money on this. I don't need to.
I am just trying to clear my Parking Spots.

Last edited:
How do you Know that there are no other odometer reading reported in Japan?
Which documents do you go by to confirm this for the cars you sell?
How do you specifically know this about this car?

I know about this truck because I look at vehicles for sale around the world every day. I keep a personal database of all Land Cruisers sold at auction in Japan.

There are multiple sources in Japan that will do a variety of records searches. In this case, no other records were available in Japan prior to 2016, making true verification of the odometer reading impossible. I cannot provide you with records which do not exist.

d Independent Vehicle Inspection companies to certify the odometer and condition of this vehicle Twice by 2 different Inspection Companies.

You're finding the limitation of these inspections. They can only report on what information they have available.

This car was listed twice, the first time I did not meet the reserve of about $12,000.00, but it did not sell. I had it Fully inspected by a 2nd independent inspector before it came back on the Auction block 2 weeks later. Armed with the 2 inspections I bid beyond the reserve and got it.

It's been listed quite a bit more than twice but I don't think that has any bearing on the cars condition. But look at other LC's with sub-100K KM's and ask yourself why this one was so much cheaper.

If you provide additional documents for the vehicles you sell on your site, http://www.landcruisersdirect.com, please share them with us, and I will immediately contact the same inspectors you use to get that same report for this car.

The information I have access to is not typically available to the average user, that's one of the things that makes LCD different.

I am not trying to cheat anyone or make money on this.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you are trying to cheat anyone. I was tagged and asked my opinion of the odometer reading. I think you've set a fair price for what this truck is.

Last edited:
I understand, and I would generally prefer a LHD Manual. I have one in Nicaragua, but it is the 1HZ engine non turbo without lockers.
They are usually very high mileage and not very well kept. This is true for most central and south American vehicles as they are usually used for work.

A well kept LHD drive with low miles and lockers will probably be in the high 20s.

..... But look at other LC's with sub-100K KM's and ask yourself why this one was so much cheaper.

I have not seen any LC's in any of the Auctions that are above 13000 reserve for a grade 4 with Lockers and 7000 to 8000 without lockers grade 3. I've been monitoring this for months.

Here are the Statistics:
Japanese car auction. Used Cars from Japan. Car auctions online. Vehicles, Bikes, Parts

There aren't many that are above a grade 3.5 and fewer that are above a grade 4.

This one was sold for an above average price actually (way above average) - it wasn't CHEAP!

Original Auction Listing:
Japanese car auction. Used Cars from Japan. Car auctions online. Vehicles, Bikes, Parts

This car was a grade 3.5 for the minor damage it has and the fading on the Dcals.
It originally had a high reserve compared to others: US$12,000.00

Judging by the prices on your site, you must be paying a lot more for your vehicles!.

I will wash it and take more pics so it does not look so dirty.

Anyone that wants to import their own vehicles can contact me and I will explain how to go about do it, step by step.

It does not take a lot of time, and it is much easier than importers make it out to be.

Once you learn about the process, you will appreciate that the Condition and Price of vehicles are actually very good.
It is an excellent buy at this price!

Attachments

• TOYOTA LAND CRUISER №7047 USS Niigata.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I have not seen any LC's in any of the Auctions that are above 13000 reserve for a grade 4 with Lockers and 7000 to 8000 without lockers grade 3. I've been monitoring this for months.

Here are the Statistics:

There aren't many that are above a grade 3.5 and fewer that are above a grade 4.

This one was sold for an above average price actually (way above average) - it wasn't CHEAP!

Original Auction Listing:

This car was a grade 3.5 for the minor damage it has and the fading on the Dcals.
It originally had a high reserve compared to others: US$12,000.00

Judging by the prices on your site, you must be paying a lot more for your vehicles!.

Average price includes a lot of low quality and high mileage vehicles. I know exactly what this truck sold for the last time through auction, and it was well below the price for a true and verifiable sub-100K KM Land Cruiser.

Anyone that wants to import their own vehicles can contact me and I will explain how to go about do it, step by step.

It does not take a lot of time, and it is much easier than importers make it out to be.

The act of importing isn't too difficult. What you've proven in this thread is that the ability to pick them out and determine true condition is the more difficult aspect. This looks like a nice Land Cruiser. It is not the same as a sub-100K KM Land Cruiser however. When you've seen both, you will see the difference.

Ok... Thanks for your input.

I am done responding to comments by LCD as I consider his comments & opinions biased, to say the least

Since LCD put in doubt the authenticity of the mileage of this truck: Anyone that wants to see how much I ended paying for this car, please let me know and I will send you the winning bid.

Anyone considering buying JDM cars from professional Importers should really do due diligence. Professional importers want you to believe that if you do not go through them you will be taken for a ride. The truth is that they need to you to believe that so that can justify their prices. They can only get the same information everyone else bidding has access to. And 9 out 10 times they cannot prove that their information is better, and you just have to believe them.

If you are interested in Buying JDM cars - go to:

(there are other exporters/Auction companies, but I checked these guys out and talked directly with many of their repeat clients prior to using them)

Japan Car Direct Home

I encourage you to do so prior to buying from local importers - you will save 1000s and get high-quality vehicles,

Contact Yoshiro, Scott Bowers or Mathew

yoshi@japancardirect.com
scott@japancardirect.com
mathew@japancardirect.com

They sell Dozens and Dozens of cars and many of them are destined to the US and Canada.

Their Business depends on Happy repeat clients and they will guide you every step of the way, and explain what to look for and what to Avoid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom