For Sale 1990 Toyota LJ78 Landcruiser Prado, only 118k miles! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the Craigslist ad: 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ78 RHD *IMPORTED* (Landcruiser)

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ78 RHD *IMPORTED*, Georgia title in hand.

Asking $20k OBO

I've been waiting a long time to own one of these... The Landcruiser Prado has finally reached its 25th birthday and is now eligible for import to the United States. The guy who imported this went to Vancouver to pick this one up at the turn of the new year and decided to test it out by driving it home across the Canadian Rockies. She sailed over the mountains with ease and handled the snowy uphill climb no problem. He was super surprised at the amount of power considering the small diesel engine. This model has an overdrive bypass and power boost button which allows you to pass the slow pokes on the road. He pushed the RPMs on the mountain passes and the temperature gauge never even hit the half way mark. Automatic Transmission shifts amazing and his international parts guy said he's never seen one go bad. Also has a sport mode for better off road shock absorption. Has Automatic locking hubs with push button high 4x4 and manual low 4x4 with rear locking differential. He did get stuck one time in his driveway, being in Canada the snow was about two feet deep where the snow plow boxed him in. He put it in 4-low and crawled right out. This vehicle is awesome in the winter weather and gets fantastic fuel economy for being a 4x4. I'm tempted to keep this one. Toyota dependability, awesome off road capability, solid front axle, the option to make your own free fuel, with a practically brand new engine and a completely rust free frame and body will bring you years of enjoyment.

Please read on before you contact me with questions..... This vehicle is equipped with an emissions EGR system. An EGR delete plate is included with the sale of this truck. Any one with mechanical capabilities should be able to delete the EGR system relatively easily. I am leaving the EGR hooked up because some states (California) and municipalities require emissions regulations to register a vehicle. Again, an EGR (exhaust gas recycler) delete plate with pyrometer hole already drilled out, goes with the truck if you are inclined to install it. Truck has Old Man Emu suspension and bushings to go on top of shocks (for better shock absorption and another 1.5" of lift) which are already installed.

NOTE: The Lexus GX470 is actually the modern day Toyota Prado, and uses that name everywhere else int the world besides the United States.

The Good:

Bullet proof engine and transmission, awesome four wheel drive. Does not use oil or leak any fluids at all. 119k miles (192k kilometers on truck) oil change just done last week at 119k... Rebuilt motor with genuine Toyota parts and upgraded 3L Toyota head, Timing belt, water pump and tensioners changed out, new injectors, new glow plugs. 80k miles ago... Totally new braking system front and back. 33" Toyo Open Country M/T with roughly 10k miles on them. By the time you buy this it will need another service which will include fresh oil and filter change with Rotella 15w-40, Nnw genuine Toyota fuel, air and oil filter. Solid front axle with Power Sport mode suspension. Power Windows, power door locks, Power sunroof. Plush microfiber seats are comfortable and easy to clean. Fold up second and third row seating for camping. Drivers and passenger seats adjust incline, recline, forward position and driver's side power lumbar support. Front seat covers shown in some of the pictures are for seat protection only. Seats have no rips or stains. Interior is very clean and nearly perfect.Push button overdrive by pass and push button extra power for passing or going up hills. Trailer hitch with light hookup. Rear wiper, wiper and head light washers. Thule roof rack. Everything works! Completely rust free including frame. Paint still looks very good for its ageI have all receipts of work done since it was imported to North America back in 2007 along with the original Japanese import document. Alternator was rebuilt 6 months ago.

The Not-So-Good: (will picture all imperfections as best I can) A few minor scratches and dings. Keep in mind this is a 25 year old vehicle, given it's age it's in amazing condition. Blemish on passenger side corner of dash. 7" crack in windshield but it has never bothered me.

Commonly asked questions about RHD diesel imports...

Q: Are these vehicles hard to get parts for?
A: No, but you usually can't just walk into Napa and say " I need brake calipers for a 1990 diesel landcruiser," but you can find the part number on www.toyodiy.com and it will give you other part numbers of common vehicles that overlap. For example: if you need brake calipers for this vehicle (which you shouldn't for awhile as they were just replaced 70k miles ago) they are the same brake calipers that fit a 1990 Toyota v6 pickup. Body parts are also readily available through Canada and I also have several specialty parts contacts in Canada that can get any import part. If you purchase this vehicle, I will gladly give you all of my parts contacts.

Q: But isn't it awkward with the steering wheel on the right side?
A: I thought it would be too, but after about the first five minutes of driving, it drives just like every other car. It also makes checking the mail easier!

Q: Is this vehicle legal in my state?
A: Any vehicle that is at least 25 years old is exempt from DOT and EPA requirements and is therefore admissible for import. I have a Clean Clear GEORGIA Title for this vehicle. The process at your DMV is no different than if you bought a Chevy or Ford from some guy in Montana and wanted to license it in your state.

Q: Will it pass emissions/smog requirements?
A: Being a 25 year old vehicle in the State of Georgia it is exempt from all EPA regulations and emissions regulations. BOOYA!

After actually doing the math I calculated that, going over the mountains and in 4x4, with lots of stop and go, I got 21 mpg and on the flat open highway in 2wd I got 25 mpg. It's common to hear people say they can get "30 mpg" with these rigs, but keep in mind that those estimates come from people overseas where they use imperial gallons. In US gallons that is more like 25 mpg, which is more realistic. Still, there is no gasoline 4x4 SUV out there that will give you that kind of fuel economy!

Full photo album from when I purchased it is available here, but shown without the 1.5" bushings and Toyos which make all the difference.

This vehicle has just had an oil change and thorough inspection from ACC LandCruisers and is good for another 10k miles!

Video Cranking Up (light on the dash is for the Emergency Brake which is active):
Untitled

Full Album:
1990 Toyota Landcruiser Prado LJ78

Q8v8Swu.jpg

x8XIcsm.png

Last edited:
I am leaving the EGR hooked up because some states (California) and municipalities require emissions regulations to register a vehicle.

Q: Is this vehicle legal in my state?
A: Any vehicle that is at least 25 years old is exempt from DOT and EPA requirements and is therefore admissible for import. I have a Clean Clear GEORGIA Title for this vehicle. The process at your DMV is no different than if you bought a Chevy or Ford from some guy in Montana and wanted to license it in your state.

I'm not saying there's zero chance of getting it registered in CA, but it's not legal by CA law. The vehicle has to be originally sold in North America to be CARB-compliant. That said, there are some around with CA plates. Coming with a title from another state that specifies that it's a diesel is helpful. '97 and earlier diesels don't have to pass smog, though, so if you can get it past the local DMV, you wouldn't have to worry about the EGR.

Nice rig. GLWS!

I'm not saying there's zero chance of getting it registered in CA, but it's not legal by CA law. The vehicle has to be originally sold in North America to be CARB-compliant. That said, there are some around with CA plates. Coming with a title from another state that specifies that it's a diesel is helpful. '97 and earlier diesels don't have to pass smog, though, so if you can get it past the local DMV, you wouldn't have to worry about the EGR.

Nice rig. GLWS!
I mean really though, what IS legal in California these days!? ;)

I'll also accept partial trade on Rolex sports watches as well.

@Porsche958 ..... "I've been waiting a long time to own one of these"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And yet it's for sale.
I got my feet wet with this car because I was able to drive it in Nashville before plopping down $20k for something I've never driven. Now I realize how much I like these vehicles, and have my eyes on a HZJ. There is no other reason I am selling this vehicle other than wanting a 2 door version, which begs the question, who pissed in your cheerios? I'm on a ton of forums in the Rolex community, gun community, etc and I have never experienced such negativity in a community. It's kind of wild, I hope you don't act like that in person. Come to think of it you're the fellow paying that mechanic down in south Georgia to go through your HZJ while you sit on the sidelines right? You better swap that automatic transmission out for the manual or you'll be rebuilding it sooner than later, but hey you seem to know it all, so you should be good to go. ;)

I've been waiting a long time to own one of these... The Landcruiser Prado has finally reached its 25th birthday and is now eligible for import to the United States. The guy who imported this went to Vancouver to pick this one up at the turn of the new year and decided to test it out by driving it home across the Canadian Rockies. She sailed over the mountains with ease and handled the snowy uphill climb no problem. He was super surprised at the amount of power considering the small diesel engine. This model has an overdrive bypass and power boost button which allows you to pass the slow pokes on the road. He pushed the RPMs on the mountain passes and the temperature gauge never even hit the half way mark. Automatic Transmission shifts amazing and his international parts guy said he's never seen one go bad. Also has a sport mode for better off road shock absorption. Has Automatic locking hubs with push button high 4x4 and manual low 4x4 with rear locking differential. He did get stuck one time in his driveway, being in Canada the snow was about two feet deep where the snow plow boxed him in. He put it in 4-low and crawled right out. This vehicle is awesome in the winter weather and gets fantastic fuel economy for being a 4x4. I'm tempted to keep this one. Toyota dependability, awesome off road capability, solid front axle, the option to make your own free fuel, with a practically brand new engine and a completely rust free frame and body will bring you years of enjoyment.
Do you have any of your own experiences to attribute to this vehicle's capabilities or should we contact the previous owner?

Do you have any of your own experiences to attribute to this vehicle's capabilities or should we contact the previous owner?
If I was in your boat I would contact the previous owner, however I bought this from a reseller and not the original owner you're referring to. I've driven it daily for over a year now though, taken it through North Georgia many times but nothing crazy. It's been a good truck.

If I was in your boat I would contact the previous owner, however I bought this from a reseller and not the original owner you're referring to. I've driven it daily for over a year now though, taken it through North Georgia many times but nothing crazy. It's been a good truck.

So your ad is a reseller's sales pitch of a previous owner's experience?....

So your ad is a reseller's sales pitch of a previous owner's experience?....
I reused what I could yes and updated it, it was informative as hell. Much more informative than most ads on here. You're not interested in buying it anyhow.

You're right, definitely not interested in buying it. GLWS

If you have information about the vehicle or know of facts contradicting the original poster, please contribute to the conversation. Otherwise, no reason to be a dick in someone's "for sale" thread.

Cool truck by the way, good luck with the sale.

If you have information about the vehicle or know of facts contradicting the original poster, please contribute to the conversation. Otherwise, no reason to be a dick in someone's "for sale" thread.

Cool truck by the way, good luck with the sale.
Thanks man!

Porsche958, it's obvious by your responses that you have a preconceived notion that everyone on this forum is a jerk. Which makes me wonder why you even bothered advertising here. I admit, forums can be a brutal place to advertise, because any one can share their opinion. Perhaps we would see more vehicles advertised here if that were not the case. Others may not share my distaste for plagerism, but no one likes a hater either and for that I am guilty. Sorry for being a "dick".

Porsche958, it's obvious by your responses that you have a preconceived notion that everyone on this forum is a jerk. Which makes me wonder why you even bothered advertising here. I admit,

Only based off of your responses, coldtaco, and 1978HJ45 specifically, so not everyone. Also @1978HJ45 seems to have deleted his posts today, classy. Admittedly I largely lurk here, but I will say this, I'm on a number of forums in different facets of life and I've never quite seen so much hate in a common-like-minded forum, SPECIALLY on sales ads. It's not just me, it's everyone. It's also always the guy picking apart a vehicle that has no intentions of buying it, I've seen that happen over and over here. I even had a dealer friend whom I purchased this truck from tell me to not even bother with posting it here because of this very behavior. Typically there is a rule against abuse in sales ads on most forums, which again is likely why it caught me off guard so much.

forums can be a brutal place to advertise, because any one can share their opinion. Perhaps we would see more vehicles advertised here if that were not the case. Others may not share my distaste for plagerism, but no one likes a hater either and for that I am guilty. Sorry for being a "dick".

First off, it's spelled "plagiarism", and secondly this a car advertisement not an article or scholarly paper, so you've got to be kidding me.

Last edited:
To the seller: I think your problem (and a problem that other sellers have run into around here) is that you've listed the truck in a way that advertises it for the general public, which basically assumes that the people looking at the ad know very little about the truck. That's very much the wrong assumption when posting on ih8mud, which is basically a community of total Yoda nerds (I say that with great affection, nerds). It indicates that you haven't done much research on the forum, that you're basically showing up to make a quick dollar. Statements like "Still, there is no gasoline 4x4 SUV out there that will give you that kind of fuel economy!" just come across as silly here, since everybody reading this thread already knows that. This makes us think that you're trying to pull a fast one on us, and nobody likes feeling that way. It also makes us think that you also know very little about the truck, which would indicate a lot of hidden issues that you wouldn't know to look for. That's why you're getting a lot of push-back.

To everybody else: Give the guy some slack.

I deleted my post simply because I was worried about your blood pressure although I must admit it's kinda cool to see my 'MUD handle highlighted in the above post. I hope your Cruiser sells quickly and for your full asking price. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom