Builds 1990 FJ62 5.3 and H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some big time bolt ons have happened!
Mounted some rallye 3000 euro beam and switched to a FJ60 T case shift knob thanks to @FJ Noob

IMG_20201121_112336273.jpg

IMG_20201122_091911486.jpg

IMG_20201122_092006861.jpg

That was told to me by one of the best, Georg. 👍 You don't even have to drill out the hole, the 1/2" tap goes in fine.

So, ever since I've had this thing, about 2 years now, I've noticed some odd engine behavior....hunting for idle when cold, real low RPMs on hot starts, and some bogging under hard acceleration.

I have no idea how this engine was tuned ( it was a 'new' engine from an LS swap provider), and I'd like to start over.

Can I buy a tuner and load some 'performance' tunes through the OBD port or will the computer have to be accessed (removed) for a clean sweep and re-load?

While waiting for someone with more knowledge than me, my short answer is yes. You can buy a tune to download or you can ship out your ecm. I found a guy who tuned mine while sitting in the pass. seat and we drove around.

assuming you have regular Gen 3 P01 ecu?

If so you will need either a professional tuner that knows HP Tuners or buy HP tuners yourself to tune or load tunes yourself.

HP Tuners is $600ish plus a $200 licensing credit.

Any tuner is going to charge you the $200 credit on top of their time.

Brendan @ Lt1swaps.com is somehow able to flash them for $75, i would just get another ECU and have him flash it with a stock tune for a manual transmission Vortec truck, swap it in and see if it fixes your issues.

That way you are only out about $100ish and no downtime.
You can pick up 20-30hp from tuning but in your case i would start with a fresh stock tune and see if it fixes your issues.
IMO paying a tuner and HP tuners licensing gets you almost 2/3rds of the way to a Terminator X, and never paying a licensing fee again. And then the sky is the limit for power

Thanks @cruisermatt

I'm not 100% sure which ECU I have.....the shop that did the swap mounted the ecu on the middle of the firewall with the engine right up againist it, I don't think I can remove it without taking the engine out. Its nuts how they mounted it. I for sure can't see any markings on it. I assume a gen 3....cable throttle and seperate fuel pressure regulator setup.

I plan to investigate removing it and reloating it at some point, but wanted to get a base line fresh tune on it before that.

I'll see what a ride along tune will cost me and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom