Builds 1990 FJ62 5.3 and H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was just saying its weird if your engine came from Brian and he did the tune i am sure its fine. Whats also weird Brian doesn't sell brand new engines also doesn't sell transmissions at all i can also see you have a mass air flow sensor Brian deletes that as well. Does the engine stall at all when you push the clutch in and turn into a driveway or a scenario like that?
You can run the factory tach but an aftermarket one can be installed if yours is broken.
Tommy

As far as I know, the engine and trans (both were new) was installed and setup by Iron Pig offroad in VA. Why they chose to do the things as they did, I do not know.

It idles fine and does not cut off when turing the wheels or with the clutch pushed in when coming to a stop. It seems to act as it should, I'm just now wondering how fuel economy and long term reliability would be affected....(running rich vs. lean)

merry christmas to me

IMG_20191219_113648130.jpg

How does the truck run on the highway with the h55 and the 5.3? Any mpg figures yet? The rubber overdrive will help, for sure. Looking at the 5.3 swap in mine and trying to determine h55f or nv4500.

I was wondering who ended up with this rig! Being on the eastern shore, I was curious how the rear frame rust was, but never had a chance to go look before you go it! He said the previous owner used to own a body shop and did the paint job, so hopefully it was good prep!

I haven't had it on the road yet....was waiting on tires. I'll get some numbers after I drive it a bit.

It's not that rusty....good bit of frame scale that I'll take care of, and the rear C channels could use work, but are ok for the time being. The body is OK in the parts that usually rust.

those are great tires! I think the BFG AT2's are not often considered for many cruiser owners as they want something more aggressive (for looks only), but they actually are very good off road tires and they are also very quiet on the road. I own a set on my van and really like them. The tread pattern has been around a long time, but it works well.

Question:

Can the factory tach be used with the 5.3? If so, how to hook it up? Mine is dead at the moment, and not sure if it was ever operational after the LS swap.

Or, do I need an aftermarket tach, and if so, which one and what the correct way to hook it to the 5.3?

Question:

Can the factory tach be used with the 5.3? If so, how to hook it up? Mine is dead at the moment, and not sure if it was ever operational after the LS swap.

Or, do I need an aftermarket tach, and if so, which one and what the correct way to hook it to the 5.3?

I have the stock tach (actually an Fj62 tach) with my 5.3. I used a Dakota digital tach interface, it takes the tach signal from the pcm and converts it for use by the stock tach. Search the forum for Dakota digital.
And it is adjustable to get it calibrated.

Amazon product ASIN B016N1C8TK

I used an Autometer tach that looks pretty stock at first glance and has RPM range up to 6k on it (factory limiter on Vortecs). Just need to paint the needle orange to match the others.
It was to pretty easy to install. Details in @orion build thread, it was his idea that I copied completely.

More pressing issues....the radio.

So the PO took the radio out, and took all the brackets. I've just got a big empty hole in the dash.

Does anyone have the 4? brackets that are needed to mount a Double DIN radio in the factory location? I think there are brackets on the dash and then brakets that attach to the radio? SOR has them pictured, but most of the stuff isn't available, or reasonably priced.

Thanks

We’ve had Speedhut match the font & graphics of the FJ60 tach (shameless plug, I’m a dealer :grinpimp:)

They are close in price to the Dakota Digital adapters (which also work great, I use that in my truck), but gives you the full rpm range. @TRAIL TAILOR has Speedhut brackets and may be willing to sell just the tach piece.

DB611128-9372-4AB5-B15D-2DB1D379BD0C.jpeg

DAAF7C4A-91AE-42C5-AF2B-8275AFCDA296.jpeg

In theory, there is a tach wire coming out of the ECM? I'm guessing that's the way it is stock Tahoe/truck form? I'll have to dig into mine, it's a thin harness with custom computer from Turnkey engines and done by IPOR.

Thanks

In theory. Most (all really, these days) standalone harness manufacturers provide a tach lead.

I can help with the rear shock crossmember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom