1988 HJ61 Sahara Restoration/Build 'The Taipan' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
So i bought another Landcruiser.

I already owned a BJ42 and a FZJ80. I've always wanted a 60 series and with electric cars looming on the horizon, i thought the next 20 years might be the last time we get to drive these old bangers. So the idea is to take the good bits off the 80 series and sell it, making this my daily driver and long distance tourer. The 40 series will be used for weekends and my trips in the Victorian high country.

This is my 40 series restoration.

Builds - 'Little Yellowy' 1982 BJ42 LX build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/little-yellowy-1982-bj42-lx-build.1162699/page-9#post-14939499

I looked for about a year, i really wanted a Sahara. The plan is this will probably be the last Landcruiser i buy, so i wanted it to be top of the line. I also was considering a 24V Jap import model provided it had the factory front and rear cable lockers and the PTO winch. But finding one without rust proved to be impossible.
Like in the USA these 60 series are really starting to rust away. Especially the high top Saharas. If they havn't been garaged their whole lives their roofs are generally rotted to hell and repairing it is a massive can of worms.

So I found this one in Toorak of all places. Toorak is probably the richest suburb in Melbourne. Its not somewhere you would normally find an old diesel 60 series!

I drove down to Melbourne and took it for a test drive and was pretty impressed. It was a bit rough around the edges but it appeared mostly rust free, the engine had been rebuilt a few years ago and the auto had recently been rebuilt. It has 421,967km on it which is getting pretty high, but since the engine had already been rebuilt i didn't have too many concerns. After restoring my BJ42 i have no fears about restoring anything mechanical provided its not the engine itself.

The price was pretty fair, it wasn't cheap but it wasn't too expensive. Landcruiser prices have gone mental since Covid and i just wanted to jump on before the 60 ship sailed. The 40 series prices are absolutely off the charts and i rekon the 60's could go the same way shortly.

20221014_184543.jpg

This is pretty much just after i picked it up. The paint looks better in the photos than in real life. All 4 flairs are super banged up for some reason. I'll be respraying it at some stage in the future.

20221015_074714.jpg

I wanted an auto. I've never owned one before, this is my 5th landcruiser I've bought (7 if you count work vehicles) and everyone of them has been a manual. So i thought i'll mix it up a bit this time.

20221015_111404.jpg

Chickens were impressed. The Sahara's in Australia come with the icebox/fridge. It runs off the aircon system. It didn't come with the ice cube trays and it wasn't really working too well when i bought it. The fridge part was just cold enough to cool a can after an hour or so.

20221015_111409.jpg

The turbo seats are in pretty good condition. The bottom of the driver seat could do with being re-upholstered but they rest are good enough. The electric lumbar support didn't work at this stage.

20221015_111423.jpg

Being Sahara it has the factory rear aircon. Like the front aircon and icebox, it worked but not real well. The idle up when its not moving wasn't working so it didn't keep it real cold. It also came with the rear rear seats. They are in perfect condition and i don't think have ever really been used. I doubt ill be using them either, but they are cool to have.

20221015_111437.jpg

20221015_112019.jpg

The sunroof works and appears to be rust free! But it doesn't have any glass. I'm not sure if it was supposed to or how that worked. Its just a metal plate on top. The sunroof is completely impracticable and i don't really understand the point of it, but its rare and i like it! I can only open it right on dusk or first thing in the morning otherwise it makes too much glare and its too distracting.

20221015_111621.jpg

My 86 FJ62 Sahara has a metal sunroof and from memory (it's been quite a few years) my old JDM HJ61 was metal too.

Nice looking truck!

My 86 FJ62 Sahara has a metal sunroof and from memory (it's been quite a few years) my old JDM HJ61 was metal too.

Nice looking truck!

Ok cool! I wasn't sure if the glass had been removed because it was broken and replaced with a metal piece. It looks completely factory and seals great. So I guess its supposed to be like that.

My goodness.

That’s a nice 60 series. I dream of owning one like that some day.

Yea in Canada we never see 60 series ever!

The only 60 series I see is mine!

Ok cool! I wasn't sure if the glass had been removed because it was broken and replaced with a metal piece. It looks completely factory and seals great. So I guess its supposed to be like that.
My '87 JDM HJ61 has a glass sunroof. Non functioning, sadly, but happily not leaking. At least I can open the fabric cover and get some extra light if I want. I'll see if I can repair it whenever I get my headliner redone, but it wasn't worth it to open that box of worms during rust repair since my headliner's fine and it isn't leaking.

It came with this interesting wooden tailgate! It also came with the original carpet for it but it is pretty feral. I don't blame the previous owner for replacing it. I'll be removing this and replacing it with a storage tailgate.

20221015_172305.jpg

Some serious fat arming has been going on over the years! Pretty impressive i think. That's a lot of time with the right arm resting on it to wear it down to bare metal! I should be able to get it re upholstered without too many dramas.

The electric windows and central locking are both pretty temperamental. They seem to work on and off. I have had a bit of a go at cleaning the contacts. But i really need to pull every switch off and give it a real clean.

20221015_172658.jpg

Squats the chicken checking out the 12HT.

20221015_173028.jpg

Under bonnet is pretty grimey and looks a bit tired. The plan is to replace every serviceable part, give it a good clean and respray anything i remove.

20221019_173312.jpg

Took it on its first light 4wd. Everything seems to work. At this stage it was jumping out of gear on corrigations, the shifter was moving all over the place. Being an auto my misus can finally have a drive! I quite enjoyed being able to have a drink in the passenger seat while she drove me to the river for a swim.

That UHF antenna on the guard is pretty hammered. Ive never seen anyone install one there. I liked the idea but it just didn't really look right. That'll be getting removed and a new one put on the bullbar.

20221016_182428.jpg

20221016_184116.jpg

I bought a ton of parts. I try to buy genuine when ever possible. It was a combination of Amayama, Parts Souq and a couple of Australian stores and Ebay.

20221021_130741.jpg

20221025_192116.jpg

I started with some real basic stuff, replacing the air intake hose.

20221021_191523.jpg

This was one of the most eye watering purchases. I found some genuine mud guards for 60 series with flairs in the UAE. For some reason mine didn't have any mud guards at all. The few small 4wd trips i did had thrown mud all up the sides. I wouldnt really care too much but you can see its been chipping and wearing down the paint over time. I'm planning on re spraying it one day, there isn't much point if its just gonna get smashed up again.

There is next to nothing aftermarket for mud guards. I could have made some myself out of rubber but i thought it would look pretty s***. These fit perfect and i'm happy i bought them in the end. I just don't like to think about how much they cost!

20221108_190801.jpg

20221119_181508.jpg

20221120_174332.jpg

This might be the coolest thing i found. I bought some genuine new ice cube trays for the ice maker. I can't believe these things are still possible to buy genuine.

20221125_182909.jpg

Very cool find. May have missed it but does this truck have the factory lockers? And any chance the suspension seat frames?

Very cool find. May have missed it but does this truck have the factory lockers? And any chance the suspension seat frames?

Nah it doesn't, those are the only 2 options I think it doesn't have. As far as I'm aware the factory lockers were never an option in Aus for some reason.

It has the factory rear LSD but I don't think it's working. Toyota LSD's never seem to do anything in my experience.

We have a fair few 24v Jap imports in Aus and they sometimes have the lockers. I have thought about trying to get my hands on some but it's a pretty big job.

I live rural and finding some where I live would be impossible. So I'd have to get both entire diff housings shipped to me and it would cost a fortune.

As much as I'd love to have the factory ones I think I'm gonna end up putting E lockers in instead. Swapping in both diff housings/assemblies, cutting a hole in the floor for the levers and wiring up the lights would be a pretty big job. If I found some I'd seriously consider it though.

And also no to the suspension seat. Again I've never seen one in Aus, I think it's more a Euro thing.
I've got a guy in Europe who is hopefully trying to get me some. It will cost a lot but I want to keep this car forever so that's how i justify it!

If anyone has any suspension bases and doesn't want em let me know!

Again some real basic but satisfying fixes. I'm not sure how this car passed the Victorian roadworthy. None of the fender indicators were working. I took them off and they fell apart in my hands.

20221029_194923.jpg

Replaced with genuine.

20221029_195332.jpg

I rebuilt the power steering pump. I'd never done this before. It was a bit nerve wracking but really it was pretty simple. I made it seem harder then it really was. The power steering worked fine before i rebuilt it but once i pulled it apart it was pretty close to the end of its life. Every 'o' ring was cactus.

20221201_103629.jpg

Power steering pump after rebuilt and painted. Super happy how it turned out.

20221205_125517.jpg

I was definitely having vacuum problems before i started the under bonnet rebuild. I had never really worked on vacuum before and didn't really understand it or know where to start.
This seemed like an obvious place to start!
This connector to the VSV was stuffed and looked like it had been glued back together. I found a brand new one on Ebay.

I didn't have fast idle on start up, the air con idle up on when idling didn't work and the idle up on power steering also didn't work. I was hoping this would fix my problems. The car would stall on tight turns in car parks. Stalling an auto was an all new experience for me!

20221127_171851.jpg

I opened up the thermostat housing and this is how i found the thermostat! I have no idea how this is possible.

The car wasn't running overly warm, but this thermostat was absolutely rooted.

20221030_171126.jpg

I replaced with a brand new genuine.

20230218_124541.jpg

Cleaning up the thermostat housings. Pretty satisfying, super easy with a few different sized wire wheels.

20221130_142809.jpg

They came up really good, looks a bit better in real life. Replaced with genuine gaskets and replaced the temperature gauge sender which was also rooted.

20230218_115545.jpg

20230218_115935.jpg

Nice Sahara kinda wish I had one in my collection sometimes but they never seem to be in that great of condition.
How do you find the 61 compared to the bj42

Nice Sahara kinda wish I had one in my collection sometimes but they never seem to be in that great of condition.
How do you find the 61 compared to the bj42
I find them two completely different cars. The BJ42 has unlimited character, I never get old of it. It's loud, it's bouncy, it's uncomfortable, it's scary off camber when 4x4ing, it's stupidly small for fitting all my camping gear in. But I absolutely love it.
The 61 is comfy, it's quiet, it's got tons of power, and it fits all my stuff easy. But it's not as cool. Realistically it's better in every way, but it just doesn't have the same character as the 40.

If I had to choose one to keep it would be the 40. But don't get me wrong, the 60 is ****ing awesome and I love it's comforts. I'm on a 4 week trip in it right now and I have tons of updates and photos from it. It let me down last week but it's back on the road! Can't get a good dog down.

I'll update both cars threads when I get home, I'm miles behind on both of em.

I find them two completely different cars. The BJ42 has unlimited character, I never get old of it. It's loud, it's bouncy, it's uncomfortable, it's scary off camber when 4x4ing, it's stupidly small for fitting all my camping gear in. But I absolutely love it.
The 61 is comfy, it's quiet, it's got tons of power, and it fits all my stuff easy. But it's not as cool. Realistically it's better in every way, but it just doesn't have the same character as the 40.

If I had to choose one to keep it would be the 40. But don't get me wrong, the 60 is f***ing awesome and I love it's comforts. I'm on a 4 week trip in it right now and I have tons of updates and photos from it. It let me down last week but it's back on the road! Can't get a good dog down.

I'll update both cars threads when I get home, I'm miles behind on both of em.
Looking forward to seeing the updates on both

Ok I'm home from my big trip and I'll try and catch this thread up to the present day over the next week.

Brand new genuine water pump. Old one was working but I'm replacing every serviceable part so I know it's history and can rely on it when doing solo trips.

20230218_144443.jpg

Brand new Aisin fan clutch

20230218_233416.jpg

@ToyotaMatt came through with the goods and delivered me a brand new washer bottle and antennae.

20230222_103006.jpg

20230222_125227.jpg

I was having goanna problems at the time of the build! He kept coming into the chicken coop to steal the eggs. He attacked one of my chickens and broke her wing. I had to keep leaving the shed to scare it away every day!

20230222_142111.jpg

I had my radiator re-cored by Bairnsdale Radiators. Came up really good.

20230222_224020.jpg

I bought a brand new condenser, genuine is no longer available. The outlet faced the wrong direction for some reason. The radiator man cut it off and re welded it for me.

20230223_160236.jpg

Brand new genuine battery tray.

20230223_164933.jpg

Engine Bay starting to take some shape. I had replaced every vacuum hose and had marked them. The vacuum hoses were mostly completely wrong from a previous owner.
I didn't have 'idle up' when cold, 'idle up' when turning full lock and 'idle up' when the air con is on.
After staring blankly at the vacuum diagram for a while I worked it all out.

It was pretty overwhelming to start with, but once I color coded the diagram and marked all my hoses it wasn't too hard.

It all worked! I have everything now except for 'idle up' when cold. I think that doesn't work because I seem to loose vacuum when it's turned off. I will investigate further in the future, it's no real drama in Australia and I idle up using the hand throttle anyway.

20230222_225454.jpg

Cleaned and painted the airbox and bought a genuine filter

20230228_200217.jpg

I replaced the air-con condenser and temp switch. It was a doozy, it was super hard to remove the box, even harder to get it all back in. I really hope I never have to touch it again. The whole thing was full of leaves/bugs and dirt.
I really wanted my aircon system to work at its best to give the Ice Maker a chance to actually make some ice cubes!

20230228_221143.jpg

20230228_215219.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom