1988 FJ62 Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought an FJ62 in decent condition that has some moderate rust issues. Ill post pictures to go along with it but I wanted to get opinions on what it may cost to fix it's issues and paint it to its original gray color. It runs and starts half the time, i've ordered a few things to fix it's connection issues. But once i have found someone to fix the rust I will start on the rest of the build with it, lift, tires, bumper etc. Thanks for your input.

Her you go

461D1128-3031-4065-9389-4C1DFC89A0ED.jpeg

B8D7FF5C-A7BF-4AF8-B54F-E2AB80F60DBE.jpeg

B18A696E-E998-456E-BCAD-8D8955927F1D.jpeg

109BFAF4-9356-42D6-AF13-2A2F2BC4BE8D.jpeg

08623687-7B46-4B07-B07E-D379E3AAAEFF.jpeg

62ED7C9C-56BB-42B8-BC4A-10AF0F80B7A6.jpeg

99FCD90C-52E9-4CD6-98A6-B6E63E7EA2B1.jpeg

F346B99E-0DDC-47C1-8892-DE38CCD5EBB4.jpeg

Rust can get expensive. It’s not easy to judge because what you can see, is only the tip of it all.

There is more hiding.

You really need to get it on a lift and start poking around with a screw driver.

Good looking truck overall, looks like the one I bought a little while ago.

8939C9CE-08BB-4390-9A5B-C764F26885DD.jpeg

Rust can get expensive. It’s not easy to judge because what you can see, is only the tip of it all.

There is more hiding.

You really need to get it on a lift and start poking around with a screw driver.

Good looking truck overall, looks like the one I bought a little while ago.

View attachment 2854190
thanks hopefully I can get it taken care of soon.

Look slike they sprayed over the rust, that's why the hood is faded but everything else isn't. There is more lurking.

Nice truck, congrats!

As others have mentioned, there is a lot more rust lurking under what you show in the pictures. You’re probably not going to like the answer, but you asked…
- If you do all the disassembly, metal, body, paint and reassembly yourself, you are looking at $2000 in materials minimum

- If you do some of the disassembly and reassembly, don’t rechrome trim, etc and settle for an OK, 30-foot paint job with overspray, you might get by under $12K

- Drop it off and have an artist work their metal magic, with glass out, new rubber, etc expect $25K+++

My suggestion would be to get it mechanically where it will start 100% of the time and drive the snot out of it as is!

I recently bought an FJ62 in decent condition that has some moderate rust issues. Ill post pictures to go along with it but I wanted to get opinions on what it may cost to fix it's issues and paint it to its original gray color. It runs and starts half the time, i've ordered a few things to fix it's connection issues. But once i have found someone to fix the rust I will start on the rest of the build with it, lift, tires, bumper etc. Thanks for your input.
that rust isn't bad...I mean it's rust, so it's bad, but we've seen WAYYYY worse. body and paint shops costs are all over the price. I suggest go to the top taskbar, click on "Clubhouse," find your respective region, join your local club, and ask those guys for paint shop recommendations.

if you have work space, ability to learn, time, and tools you can do this yourself. Depends on what your plans are for the 62.

Last edited:
Slow the spread of the rust with applications of Fluid Film. It’s amazing how it soaks into the metal and slows/stops the oxidation process.

After fixing the rust, it will be important to park it indoors, not drive it in salty conditions, and most-of-all - treat the backside of the repaired areas with lots of grease or a thick, gooey grease-based rustproofing.

I cringe when I see so many restored cars driven through 5 rainstorms and 2 snowstorms in 2 years, and all the bodywork is failing because nothing was done to prevent its return.

that rust isn't bad...I mean it's rust, so it's bad, but we've seen WAYYYY worse. body and paint shops costs are all over the price. I suggest go to the top taskbar, click on "Clubhouse," find your respective region, join your local club, and ask those guys for paint shop recommendations.

if you have work space, ability to learn, time, and tools you can do this yourself. Depends on what your plans are for the 62.
Thanks appreciate it

Nice truck, congrats!

As others have mentioned, there is a lot more rust lurking under what you show in the pictures. You’re probably not going to like the answer, but you asked…
- If you do all the disassembly, metal, body, paint and reassembly yourself, you are looking at $2000 in materials minimum

- If you do some of the disassembly and reassembly, don’t rechrome trim, etc and settle for an OK, 30-foot paint job with overspray, you might get by under $12K

- Drop it off and have an artist work their metal magic, with glass out, new rubber, etc expect $25K+++

My suggestion would be to get it mechanically where it will start 100% of the time and drive the snot out of it as is!
This is making me reconsider the order of how I do things. May work on engine and electric first.

Another vote for getting it running and driving consistently before worrying about the looks. Live with it a while and make sure you enjoy its quirks before spending big money on body and paint. Besides these trucks dont look half bad with non existent clear coat and a little rust. I get more waves and thumbs up driving mine then my nice car.
153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom