Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Possibly when the weather drops a bit and we get out of rainy season. Basically raining 5-6 days a week, downpours. I have cloth interior so that and rain won't mix too well if I got caught in it, and I am pretty much guaranteed to get caught in the rain. Come winter time I may take it off. Keep me posted on if you rig up a top.

Last edited:
Ahh....love these builds :)

Keep the pics comin!

I'm sure someone with rusty trim would trade you for your chrome pieces - and paint up their rusty stuff instead of your nice chrome??

Just a thought - why tarnish nice chrome with paint :)

Are you planning to run with the top on or off for the rest of the summer ? I am still trying to figure out a Bimini top or something.

Steve
When I saw you at GSMTR I was using the bimini top from my 40 series. The straps didn't reach all the way back so I had to use cam straps to make up the difference, but otherwise it worked fine. With the windows up, it worked really well (much better than on my 40)!
Just an option for you.
Peter

That's a good idea Jeff, never thought of that...although I'm not sure it will be easy to swap out with anyone around here. If you know anyone shoot me a message. I kind of want to jump on it this week or next.

Found some old Bose 101 monitor speakers laying around that someone gave up a long time ago...my buddy lent me some box speaker as well and the Bose blew them away. Right now they are just resting on the wheel wells being kept in position with a plastic tool box, but once I build a storage space in the back I will mount them in. Will post a photo tomorrow.

For entertainment purposes here is a quick story...not tech-related, but thought it was pretty cool experience. Hopefully I will start building the box for the back this weekend.
-----------
Sitting at the pub last night with a couple buddies and was pretty busy. The owner, or owner's wife, was walking around table to table and the bar asking everyone a question...well two...She got to our table and asked, "do any of you have a Camry with their lights left on?" We stated no. She then asked..."do any of you own that old Toyota out there because I have some bad news." I automatically thought someone hit it...I stated, "yes that is mine" She then apologized and said "I'm really sorry but I had it towed, but will give you cash to pick it up." I asked "Towed, why?!?!" She then said..."you probably won't see it again".....I was speechless all I could mutter out was "Why?"...felt like 10 minutes of silence but I'm sure it was only a few seconds when she replied, "just kidding, that is probably the coolest Toyota I have seen." She then informed me about how she had an old diesel Isuzu then a Defender II, but always loved old Toyota's more.

Peter I am still.waiting on a build thread about your truck , cable lockers!

NGray. That is a good one as I would have been feeling sick, every time I leave Rojo, I wonder if it will be there when I get back.

So I filled up completely a little while ago and the gauge started acting up around 100KM, which I've read is common for 70 series. I didn't want to go too long without making sure it really was full so I filled up today.

Running 235/85r15 with the 3bII and Garrett turbo. Currently getting 21-23MPG, city only.

You should easily get 550-600kms on the odometer before filling. You will probably put like 70L in or so.

You should easily get 550-600kms on the odometer before filling. You will probably put like 70L in or so.

Now Karter you know that whole "metric thing" is mind boggling to us Americans. :D
By the time we get it figured out we will be on the side of the road waiting on the tow truck or someone with a GALLON of diesel fuel.

Last edited:
Peter I am still.waiting on a build thread about your truck , cable lockers!

Understand the cable locker interest. I have a set of full floater axles in the shop waiting for me to get the time to install them and they continue to wait on me.

finally given a bath...and a little wax since the Florida sun destroys paint...not the greatest photo.

photo.jpg

thanks Foreal, I'll pay more attention to that now and fill up around 500-600KM and report back. Heading to the motherland week after next, but when I get back hopefully will start working on the box for the back, diff. breathers, and some new rims/tires.

WOW!! nice score.
when you are ready for a lift then go with Dobinson, PITA to deal with but great product.
do not get the shocks that come with the kit, get RS9000 so you get the proper length
i make bikini tops for the BJ73/74/70 series.
get yourself a second set of rear doors and remove the window frame (or order new from Akella4X4) (I have a set of cut off rear doors, if you are interested)
wiring, don't you just hate PO butcher jobs when it comes to this? friggin PITA.
3B II, love the engine, quieter than the 3B, smoother, better fuel economy, responds to a turbo very well (if the right turbo is used), can be a bitch to find parts for though.
Lockers, cable are alright if you don't live in a salt area (read winter snow), if you have salt then the cables can be a frustrating ordeal.

enjoy, i am not sure how i missed this thread till now.
congrats.

Thanks man, appreciate it. I may be hitting you up on a top once the weather gets nicer here and doors. It currently has a Garrett turbo which I think works very nicely, although I have nothing to compare it to. Right now I'm searching for some 16" wheels to upgrade the tires, which will do a number on the wallet...after that it will be only little stuff I'll be working on for the time being. Finding rims has been a pain in itself, still searching.

Not sure when the aftermarket locks and alarm system were put in, I know it wasn't David. This is what we ended up tracing everything to and took out the two fuses running to it and the box itself. Once we got it out the button here stopped operating the door locks, dead switch now, which is fine by me. All the wires are still under there because we weren't sure what was what.

11.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

crap, i priced out stock steelies from Toyota and they were under $100 each ...
where you pricing chrome?

Thanks Alberto! It will be a very slow build. Hopefully getting new shoes for it this week or next, and that will be the last/only big expenditure for the time being.

Not sure if chrome or not....the only part number I found for 16" 3.75 steelies was 42601-60262-03.

Got a really good quote on cooper st maxx 235/85/r16 at tire kingdom, almost seems too good. I called three other Tire Kingdoms as well. Two were more, but same as each other, the third told me they couldn't even get them in...figure that one out.

Have you considered FJC steelies? I picked up a set of 4 17 inchers for $200 on CL. Worth a look...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom