Builds 1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do not use an intake pump (like I will not as there is no provisioning for it in my LRA tank), then the inline pump from Holley 19-420 should work.I also see Jegs has a cheaper version 159001 that is the same GPH as the Holley for like 1/2 of the price. Not sure which will be better here.

Question, what did you do with the distributor?

I’m also sold on it after your post. My 60 runs great 95% of the time, but the occasional hiccup and need for emissions testing here are reason enough for me. It’ll also be nice to clean up the vacuum lines and travel to elevation without much worry.

I live in a none emission state, so have no idea if it will pass. I think a few guys had issues on the cold start with other TBI setups ,but once it warmed it it was much cleaner.

Cleaning up the vacuum lines was a huge part of me wanting to do this! I only have two and one of those is for the Charcoal canister. For TBI it is only vacuum advance for the Dizzy.

I highly recommend this setup.

If you do not use an intake pump (like I will not as there is no provisioning for it in my LRA tank), then the inline pump from Holley 19-420 should work.I also see Jegs has a cheaper version 159001 that is the same GPH as the Holley for like 1/2 of the price. Not sure which will be better here.

Question, what did you do with the distributor?

If you are not running an intake pump I would just order the pump from Holley. I would think as long as the GPH is right you should be good on the one from jegs. The Sniper is running higher pressure vs some other TBI systems. If the reviews on the cheaper one look good then roll with it. Sometimes I lean a little to the side of a nicer pump because if it goes out your stranded!

I am running the stock dizzy and it is running great! I do have one out to Jimc to get recurved because it should run even better, but no issues with stock dizzy as it sits.

Ya the Jegs pump has the same GPH, plus for the $$ I could get 2 and have a spare. I still would end up with the Holley pump as i have yet to skimp on anything on the 60.

THanks for the info on the Dizzy. I have a recurved one from JimC sitting in a box so good to know I do not have to pickup one of the more $$$ DUI units.
At least I know what my winter project is.

I have to get my and o2 bung in the header and then get it coated (bought it a couple of years ago but never installed). Also How do you like the Ramflex gaskets?

Ya the Jegs pump has the same GPH, plus for the $$ I could get 2 and have a spare. I still would end up with the Holley pump as i have yet to skimp on anything on the 60.

THanks for the info on the Dizzy. I have a recurved one from JimC sitting in a box so good to know I do not have to pickup one of the more $$$ DUI units.
At least I know what my winter project is.

I have to get my and o2 bung in the header and then get it coated (bought it a couple of years ago but never installed). Also How do you like the Ramflex gaskets?

A spare is a great idea! What ever you do, don't buy the complete fuel kit from Holley because you'll have to buy new AN fittings, clamps and fuel line. I learned this the hard way! Save that money. You are good to go if you have a Jimc dizzy ready!

I ended up ordering my o2 bung from Summit and welded it on. Holley sends you there clamp on bung to use on multiple applications. I think it was $5 on summit. I love the Remflex gasket it really feels the space up. Just make sure you follow their torque specs! They are vastly different over stock. Much light torque with Remflex.

Question on the Relay and Fusible link. How is this connected?

I ran a 30/40 amp relay. 87 ran to sniper, 30 to battery (put fuse close to battery) , 85 grounded to body, 86 to coil for switched 12, capped 87a. Runs great.

DAFE8A63-1F49-4DC8-9676-B7C8276CE97C.jpeg

What’s your total investment with this Holley setup to include all fittings, fuel pump, hoses, and any other parts it will take to convert a stock 2F to this setup?

What’s your total investment with this Holley setup to include all fittings, fuel pump, hoses, and any other parts it will take to convert a stock 2F to this setup?

Let's see I am going to go off of memory here. Sniper $849, $25 fuel block off plate, $80 bucks on Holley Adapter to run with 2f intake, Probably $100 in fuel line and Earl EFI fittings for new pump in tank and TIB unit, $275 for new header, $70 for remflex gaskets, Probably $50 bucks or so in my relay and wire/wiring loom, $19 on the mr. gasket air cleaner adapter, $10 bucks on the earl EFI fuel filter. I was already desmogged, but if not you need to throw in $200 or so for a desmog kit, I add some additional expense by taking the time to do an intake pump. So that was $200 for the intank pump $80 to get my tank cleaned. You can source an on frame fuel pump for cheaper. I think above on this thread someone fine one for $50 or so. I am running stock distributor. So, I would say around $1500 would get you easily into this setup.

Let's see I am going to go off of memory here. Sniper $849, $25 fuel block off plate, $80 bucks on Holley Adapter to run with 2f intake, Probably $100 in fuel line and Earl EFI fittings for new pump in tank and TIB unit, $275 for new header, $70 for remflex gaskets, Probably $50 bucks or so in my relay and wire/wiring loom, $19 on the mr. gasket air cleaner adapter, $10 bucks on the earl EFI fuel filter. I was already desmogged, but if not you need to throw in $200 or so for a desmog kit, I add some additional expense by taking the time to do an intake pump. So that was $200 for the intank pump $80 to get my tank cleaned. You can source an on frame fuel pump for cheaper. I think above on this thread someone fine one for $50 or so. I am running stock distributor. So, I would say around $1500 would get you easily into this setup.

This sounds about right from my pricing. If you skip the header there is some savings for sure.

This sounds about right from my pricing. If you skip the header there is some savings for sure.
Yes there is and it is not needed. Personal I went ahead and did it because it just cleans it up so nice and pretty ha! It is also a straight shot for you O2 sensor. Oh, I need have $40 buck at the exhaust shop jumping my header to the stock exhaust system.

That is very doable and inexpensive considering the leap forward in technology and reliability. I live in TX so emissions is not an issue but the consistency of a carb relies on too many variables that are difficult to maintain. Fuel injection is always a no brainer if it can be added without over complicating an existing aspirated setup. Thanks for the info. I think i know what i want for Christmas!! lol

That is very doable and inexpensive considering the leap forward in technology and reliability. I live in TX so emissions is not an issue but the consistency of a carb relies on too many variables that are difficult to maintain. Fuel injection is always a no brainer if it can be added without over complicating an existing aspirated setup. Thanks for the info. I think i know what i want for Christmas!! lol

I absolutely agree. Install is not bad at all, self learning system that you can tune if you would like. All self contained. It was a no brainier for me. I have about 400 miles on it and its still learning, but it is awesome! One thing I did not mention is I do have another distributor out at Jimc's to get recurved. not required, but I assume would only run better! I also love I went from a spaghetti mess of vacuum wires to one for the Holley setup. I have a total of 3 vacuum lines (2 for my charcoal canister setup)

Hey Dustin,
I think the last question I have for now. Reading the install manual. Did you have AC and is the system kicking up when engaged? did you follow the instructions on the manual?

Hey Dustin,
I think the last question I have for now. Reading the install manual. Did you have AC and is the system kicking up when engaged? did you follow the instructions on the manual?

I do have AC. When you do your initial setup it ask for AC, I hit yes. It seems to idle up just fine. I pretty much follow their instructions minus the relay. I did however call Holley and talk to one of their techs that told me the way I ran my relay would be fine. If you read their manual they say do not tap your switched 12 from the coil, but I did with relay and they "bless it", ha.

Wish that someone local to me had one of these kits thrown into their truck. I would interested to drive it against a JimC rebuild carb truck to see if there is lots of difference. Completely understand the need/want for the "instant start" feature of going with EFI, no more having to pump gas, pull choke, turn over, etc. to get her to start on cold mornings would be incredible. Especially after sitting for a few days where she was not used/driven.

Wish that someone local to me had one of these kits thrown into their truck. I would interested to drive it against a JimC rebuild carb truck to see if there is lots of difference. Completely understand the need/want for the "instant start" feature of going with EFI, no more having to pump gas, pull choke, turn over, etc. to get her to start on cold mornings would be incredible. Especially after sitting for a few days where she was not used/driven.

I went from a JimC carb/dizzy to a GM TBI (AFI) fuel injection system w/computer controlled dizzy. There was zero change in mpg or overall power.

There was much improved cold starting, and more idle-to-midrange power (no waiting on the second barrel to spool up), and better idling manners in the trail (since the FI feeds extra fuel when it meets resistance).

It also takes less pedal travel and effort, which makes it feel more powerful.

IMO, there’s no extra power or mpg to gain over a perfect carb setup, just convenience and a better driving experience.

I do have AC. When you do your initial setup it ask for AC, I hit yes. It seems to idle up just fine. I pretty much follow their instructions minus the relay. I did however call Holley and talk to one of their techs that told me the way I ran my relay would be fine. If you read their manual they say do not tap your switched 12 from the coil, but I did with relay and they "bless it", ha.

Thanks Dustin. This helps a lot.
I think all of my questions are answered. Now comes the decision on is it worth the $$

I went from a JimC carb/dizzy to a GM TBI (AFI) fuel injection system w/computer controlled dizzy. There was zero change in mpg or overall power.

There was much improved cold starting, and more idle-to-midrange power (no waiting on the second barrel to spool up), and better idling manners in the trail (since the FI feeds extra fuel when it meets resistance).

It also takes less pedal travel and effort, which makes it feel more powerful.

IMO, there’s no extra power or mpg to gain over a perfect carb setup, just convenience and a better driving experience.

Thank you for this.

I never had a doubt that the MPG would not go up. It is still a moving brick with a forklift motor. (yep Toyota put these in forklifts)
So you gain better fuel control off road, off camber/ high altitude and passing vehicles. This alone may be enough but I am still not 100% sold.
I still like the simplicity of a carbed vehicle, although I hate the poor starts.

Thanks for the write up.
I’ve been contemplating EFI for a while. On a spare head I’ve mocked up a desmogged 2F intake matched to a 3fe exhaust manifold.
I was unsure which system to go with, now I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom