SOLD 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40- 29k miles- Medium Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD- 1984 was the last year for the Global Production of J series. Complete Frame Off restoration in partnership with Export Cruisers Company. ~29k documented original miles! Clear Texas Title located near Houston, TX

Finished in Toyota Medium Blue- this diesel BJ40 is immaculate. Upgraded to Old Man Emu suspension, tasteful light grey leather seating and door covers and halogen headlamps. It cruises at 65 mph with a smooth ride and great diesel fuel efficiency.

A former Ministry of Justice Executive vehicle it saw little use and was used in the Central Valley Region of Costa Rica- making this a rare and incredible candidate for restoration. Two owners (not including restoration ownership) This is an extremely high quality restoration- and could be added to a collection or as a daily driver for the weekend and car shows. Offered at $65k.

See website for pictures and video: elitelandcruisers

_DSC0167.JPG

_DSC0179.JPG

_DSC0257.JPG

_DSC0277.JPG

_DSC0176.JPG

Last edited:
More pictures

_DSC0287.JPG

_DSC0183.JPG

_DSC0192.JPG

_DSC0223.JPG

_DSC0221.JPG

Nice truck! what do the letters/numbers etched in the windshield mean?

Nice truck! what do the letters/numbers etched in the windshield mean?

Great question- It's the government auto property ID for the Ministry of Justice. "MJ" This was a federal vehicle and well maintained and rarely driven. Just incredible.

Stunning rig! Wish I had the coin. GLWS!

Being an 84, I assume it has front disc brakes, split transfer case, rear parking brake on the axle, and a 4 speed tranny? What about heat and A/C?

Great looking rig...

Being an 84, I assume it has front disc brakes, split transfer case, rear parking brake on the axle, and a 4 speed tranny? What about heat and A/C?

Great looking rig...

Hey. This is not a 83 US spec- but rather an 84 non US spec. As I'm sure you are aware no 84 models were sold in the US as 83 was last year here.

The non- US spec did not require disk brakes or roll bar. It is a 4 speed. No AC or heat- Vintage air system for AC and heat could be added by buyer if required for location.

Yes parking brake on axle.

Great rig, but @65k it better have every and all options?? Pay 65k and then another 10k for ac, ps, disk, 5spd oh and a heater? Just not sure about the market these days.....

Great rig, but @65k it better have every and all options?? Pay 65k and then another 10k for ac, ps, disk, 5spd oh and a heater? Just not sure about the market these days.....
It is an amazing restoration. I post these on mud first out of respect for this community and to let you all have first opportunity to see what is available.

Not sure what to say about your other comments- I'm not going for restomod here but pure original restoration. I get it everyone has their thoughts on values and what modifications to make and how much they theoretically would spend.

The problem is most of this community, are cruiser enthusiasts and love these rigs and work hard to build and modify them, at 65k pretty much everyone here cannot afford or want to spend that much on any cruiser, not trying to offend you or your very nice restoration, and your other very nice rigs. It should just go to auction where the big buck guys who have no clue what there buying throw down the cash!! Just my opinion.

The problem is most of this community, are cruiser enthusiasts and love these rigs and work hard to build and modify them, at 65k pretty much everyone here cannot afford or want to spend that much on any cruiser, not trying to offend you or your very nice restoration, and your other very nice rigs. It should just go to auction where the big buck guys who have no clue what there buying throw down the cash!! Just my opinion.

Look- I'm a professional and I don't want to get into tit for tat war on mud.

However, there is a diffrence in having an opinion and suggesting I am asking a dishonest price and a huskster.

I am offended that you believe that I should only offer quality restorations to "rich guys who don't know what they are buying". You clearly are suggesting that the only person who would make this purchase is someone who is ignorant and wealthy and that the price I am asking is criminal. I'm not here to swindle anyone- even those who may have more disposable income than others. There are folks on mud who are able to make collector level purchase.

I'm ok with opinions but not sugestive comments that I am dishonestly asking an exhorbant amount for a very expensive and rare restoration.

My clients are educated buyers who ask educated questions and send inspectors or personally fly in and review the restorations. They review 100s of pictures and video. They know others are selling for 80-120k for less quality. One client flew in his mechanic to thoroughly inspect and left me with a payment in full.

Perhaps you didn't mean to suggest what you did. I hoped for the support of the mud community by offering true restorations at a fair price- perhaps I was wrong.

Last edited:
Lots of guys could afford this man. Have you been to the 200 section? Plenty of guys have bought 200 series, and you can't touch a new 200 for 65k. Shoot I could buy it I guess, but I build my own rigs typically.

Lots of guys could afford this man. Have you been to the 200 section? Plenty of guys have bought 200 series, and you can't touch a new 200 for 65k. Shoot I could buy it I guess, but I build my own rigs typically.

Yeah but you are proving Whitey's point about guys who don't know what they are buying are typically the ones willing to throw down big bucks on rigs like this. You wouldn't spend $65K on this rig because you know the cost to acquire and restore a rig to this level and it's not anywhere near $65K. Especially considering it's a Costa rig which you already know the differences between a US rig and non-US rig. I'm seeing a lot more of the Costa rigs on the market these days especially out of Miami and I know the quality of the work is no where near on par with what US shops are doing.

Compared to some other FJs on the market that are nut and bolt restos this one is overpriced.

Yeah but you are proving Whitey's point about guys who don't know what they are buying are typically the ones willing to throw down big bucks on rigs like this. You wouldn't spend $65K on this rig because you know the cost to acquire and restore a rig to this level and it's not anywhere near $65K. Especially considering it's a Costa rig which you already know the differences between a US rig and non-US rig. I'm seeing a lot more of the Costa rigs on the market these days especially out of Miami and I know the quality of the work is no where near on par with what US shops are doing.

Compared to some other FJs on the market that are nut and bolt restos this one is overpriced.

Again- everyone has their thoughts.

The price reflects the a rarity of a 83/84 with only 29k miles and a diesel and the quality of the restoration.

Again- I will start marketing elsewhere- but wanted this community to "have first dibs".

I've been a mud member for years, a contributor, and I really appreciate all the advice and direction I have been given by members over the years. But I'm not asking for advice or opinions in this section.

Please send me a PM if you have questions about pricing or value- will be glad to discuss.

Regarding the comment about "Costa Rica rigs" and quality- There are a number of shops that are just flipping or repaint and emblems and flipping. Just like some sellers in the US. That is not what we are doing. You can't lump every restoration together based country of original delivery.

I'm not going to disparage the shops in Miami, CA, and Texas, etc. But some are just not restoring at all and selling for $40k plus.

Other well known names are charging $120k or more for this level of restoration and ask you to pay up front and wait a year- that I can offer for $65k and ready today.

How is that not a good think for cruiser enthusiasts? You guys are killings me...

Again- everyone has their thoughts.

The price reflects the a rarity of a 83/84 with only 29k miles and a diesel and the quality of the restoration.

Again- I will start marketing elsewhere- but wanted this community to "have first dibs".

I've been a mud member for years, a contributor, and I really appreciate all the advice and direction I have been given by members over the years. But I'm not asking for advice or opinions in this section.

Please send me a PM if you have questions about pricing or value- will be glad to discuss.

Hey man sell it for whatever you want. I was pointing out the fact Whitey had a very valid point. Ultimately the price is whatever a buyer is willing to pay. With that being said...you were trying to justify your price. FJ40s aren't rare. Restored FJ40s aren't rare. Yet every single ad we read today for a resto FJ40 is so over hyped it's ridiculous. "Rare" should only ever be used in the capacity of a rig that initially had high appeal to buyers because of some unique feature that only occurred on that model and year. The fact your rig was owned by a government agency in Costa Rica is not rare. What I said earlier still stands true. I'm seeing a lot of bad rigs from SA countries flow into the US via Miami with some very low quality restos. I literally saw one posted somewhere and the guy who "restored" it used spray paint all over the under carriage painting directly over rust and I swear even dirt. Unreal.

I know what you mean- some folks are giving restorers a bad name- I hate that. No issues- I get your point. But 83/84 40s are rare and so is the low mileage. The Diesel is sought after. So it's not the Hope Diamond but that combination does demand a higher price.

I hope those bad sellers are run out of town- but it's a free country so buyer beware. I welcome anyone to come a view and test drive. I'm proud of what we have done with these restorations.

All about money..................

Why nobody did buy that far underpriced original American Japanse Fj40 1972 of New Mexico on classifieds here yet ?

:cheers:

Another Beauty, just like the one you have in the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. I know your very picky about the quality of your work and am sure its stunning, right down to its core. Good luck with the sale mate. Great work deserves great pay. Thankfully the buying and selling of anything is all relative. Cheers, FJFJFJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom