1984 FJ40 Softtop to Hardtop Conversion with Ambulance Style Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to convert my factory fitted softop to a hardtop with ambulance doors.

A friend suggested, the tub will need to be modified, cutting and welding etc to fit the ambulance style doors.

I am gutted because I was hoping to keep all the factory frame and rear doors that came with the softop to use later and swap in summer to a cool softop. Seems this is no longer possible, if I have to cut and weld.

Anyone here who has done a similar job? Please help.

Thanks

your body shop doesnt want to do it.... its done like this .... IF this is what your looking for

keep your lowers and add the top and doors this way... see link

Half Ambulance Doors

VVV Deckers tub below VVV (the original ambi door modder)
Deckers_FJ40_Half_Ambulance_Doors.jpg

FYI, I’m running an 81 hardtop on my ‘74. I converted it to keep the ‘74 hatch. I can’t see why you couldn’t do the same. Even if the hatch needed to be modified slightly it would be better than messing with your tub.

BTW, the thread linked below has details on hardtops pre/post ‘75.

I believe he is in the Uk ... the ambi doors are more common there as not a lot of cruisers went to uk early on.... sales were ok at best

He would need to import an earlier top or rear hatch

= Pita

Body guy wants the easy way out to make the most profit :meh:

May want to check junk yards anyway ...I can count the number of cruisers on one hand that I have seen by my in the last 20 years ... however there were a dozen or so at a junker for a few years all early

I’ve not seen a 40 at the wreckers in 20 years. Back then they’d be picked bare in a week.

Aqualu Industries makes new hatches... or someone local could fab up one in a few hours.

Land Cruiser #4042 Rear Flip-Up Hatch

3AFC62C9-DA3B-4A41-B75B-DA77A6487CCD.jpeg
D4A0A352-9DED-4CDD-8C3F-0A5FDDA7F4A4.jpeg
208F3598-53FF-44E7-AD64-B7821C9C1909.jpeg

I’d suspect it could be fabricated for less than the cost after shipping. Price has sure gone up in the last 27 years :eek:

Last edited:
Brush up on your French and look across the Channel. The later model Cruisers only came as soft tops in France if I understand correctly, but I’ve seen quite a few converted to hard tops. You might find resources there, or parts.

Thank you all for your brilliant feedback. I have asked my friend to go through the comments above and see if we can get the conversion done without modifying or cutting the tub. I am very lucky to have access to some great used body parts where my vehicle is being restored. I am sure we will find a solution.

Reactions: SMG
your body shop doesnt want to do it.... its done like this .... IF this is what your looking for

keep your lowers and add the top and doors this way... see link

Half Ambulance Doors

VVV Deckers tub below VVV (the original ambi door modder)
View attachment 1894342
Would this conversion then include relocating the spare tyre carrier and a new bumper?

I installed a FST tailgate on my 1977 and wanted to be able to switch between my hard top and soft top without removing the tailgate. So, I found a set of ambulance doors that had severe rust on the lower half and chopped them.

This setup works beautifully and is even water tight, especially with the rubber seal on the top lip of the tailgate.
40CC73C0-A909-45A3-AB7D-2D03A07B38D0.png

A1FA04ED-A131-435C-BC80-2D36A5792846.png

A17E7571-103B-4E8E-A9D1-67E6522E3980.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom