1979 FJ40 Land Cruiser Pricing Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to the forum and don't own a land cruiser, but have admired fj40s from afar forever!

I've found a friend of a friend looking to sell her 1979 FJ40 and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what price to offer as I am not super familiar with the market. She mentioned she'd like to get around $20k for it, but I'm not sure if that's too high. What would you pay for this car? Specs and pictures below:

• 4 cylinder diesel BJ41
  • 4 speed manual
  • 4x4 low and high
  • It's been on frame restored
  • has ~50k miles on it.
IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6765.jpg

Is that right hand drive?
$20k seems not outrageous based only on the images and assuming all in reasonable condition...,but still ...RHD

for some folksthat doesn’t mattrr

keep looking

This would be a BJ40 not a FJ40. Not knowing the 40 series would have an inspection done by someone who does. RHD and mirrors would suggest JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) sold originally in Japan. But both mirrors are for the left side. If a JDM vehicle the VIN plaque on the firewall will be in Japanese. Non US will not be able to find any type of CarFax report. Would also be too early for a report on a US import. Vehicles in Japan seem to have fewer miles but without some realistic documentation is hard to prove.

This would be a BJ40 not a FJ40. Not knowing the 40 series would have an inspection done by someone who does. RHD and mirrors would suggest JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) sold originally in Japan. But both mirrors are for the left side. If a JDM vehicle the VIN plaque on the firewall will be in Japanese. Non US will not be able to find any type of CarFax report. Would also be too early for a report on a US import. Vehicles in Japan seem to have fewer miles but without some realistic documentation is hard to prove.
Good point on the RHD and JDM! I didn't even think about that. What do you mean by both mirrors are for the left side?

Good point on the RHD and JDM! I didn't even think about that. What do you mean by both mirrors are for the left side?

The right mirror looks like it's goes to the left of the base on the fender just like the left one. Could be just how I seeing it on my phone.

Is this the same truck?

My hesitation with a BJ41 is the 2B engine. Never available outside of Japan and only available for a couple of years, AFAIU. Parts availability would be a huge question mark.

^ Looks like it

Says it's titled in Tennessee.....i'd be hesitant about bring it into CA but i'm not too familiar with imports/diesel

Agreed. @FabioD, I would have a quick read through the California diesel importing thread before making a decision on pursuing a purchase of this truck.

I’m not saying it can’t be registered in CA, but there are vendors on this forum smarter than me that have stopped offering to import these kinds of trucks for CA registrations, and for good reasons.

If you’re willing to spend $20K or thereabouts, you can find a good FJ40 here on this forum that won’t have any of the hassles of buying this truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom