1974 FJ40 - Fuel pump problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks

1974 FJ40 - Fuel pump is not working.

Things that have been checked and are okay:
  • Spark plugs
  • Coil
Fuel is not filling up the filter close to fuel pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Minnie

blockage or breakage on the pickup tube in the tank?
is it out of gas?
break in hose from tank to pump?
manual fuel pump on the side of the block?

Check if the filter is plugged. When was it replaced last? Has it sat around for a long time?
Is there crud in the tank causing plugging? You can pull the fuel sender quick and look in the tank.

A fuel filter that isn't filling up doesn't necessarily mean the fuel pump is kaput. My fuel filters are typically 1/2 to 2/3 full when the engine's running. A better way to determine if your pump is working is to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, place a hose over the end of the line and direct the other end into a can or jar. Crank the engine for 5-10 seconds and see how much fuel the pump moves. I think the manual gives specific cranking times and fuel amounts - search Mud for details - but basically, if you get fuel, the pump's pumping.

A fuel filter that isn't filling up doesn't necessarily mean the fuel pump is kaput. My fuel filters are typically 1/2 to 2/3 full when the engine's running. A better way to determine if your pump is working is to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, place a hose over the end of the line and direct the other end into a can or jar. Crank the engine for 5-10 seconds and see how much fuel the pump moves. I think the manual gives specific cranking times and fuel amounts - search Mud for details - but basically, if you get fuel, the pump's pumping.

/this\

If you have the stock carb, can't you just look at the sight glass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom