Builds 1969 FJ55 Patina Piggy... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want a great source for used 55 parts call Brandon at Classic Cruisers. He’s very fair and honest and usually knows what’s out there in the graveyard

@Ratboy

www.classiccruisers

Took Wilbur to the skin doctor and here are some pics before and after of the interior gut in progress.

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

I finally got to see this truck in the flesh. I'm visiting my folks in KS for a few weeks and of course @KSDaddio and I had some plans for the pig.

First order of business was a pilgrimage to Oklahoma City to glean from the bounty of @Cruiser Corps.
025cruisercorp.jpg

Their showroom is pretty cool.
026showroom.jpg

And the tour was fantastic.
027tour.jpg

And we snagged a windshield and gas tank.
028bounty.jpg

On the way out of town we stopped by Bedlam BBQ. All the best cruiser escapades involve good food!
029bbq.jpg

A lot has actually be happening with this project... I've just been failing to update.

Dad had the pig up on his car hauler after picking it up from the body shop so we unloaded it to have a closer look.

030unloading.jpg

031working.jpg

And we mocked up the used jerry cans we'd snagged from @riderjgs. Their used/weathered look fits the truck perfectly.

032jerrycan.jpg

The rocker panels turned out great. The body shop did a fantastic job and the blending/weathering of the paint looks spot on. The floor is in as well along with new seat supports. Body work phase is done (was done back in May of last year).

033rockers.jpg

034floor.jpg

035seatsupports.jpg

A few more pics from my visit out there for good measure...

Gotta admit the 16" split steelies and Dunlop Sand Grips we pulled off one of our Middle East side imports look the business...
036sittingpretty.jpg

Another shot of the floor.
037interiorfloor.jpg

And some more random shots.
038dealersticker.jpg

039fueldoor.jpg

040fender.jpg

While visiting last May/June we also started work on the rebuild of dad's 3FE for this truck. For my dad this is old hat stuff... but I've never re-assembled an engine before, so lots of new material for me to soak up.

041engine.jpg

042engine.jpg

043engine.jpg

044engine.jpg

045engine.jpg

046engine.jpg

While on the topic of replacing the motor, does anyone have a clue on the OEM part numbers for the motor mount bolts? I've gone through the parts details/callouts and can't find the one that points me to these...
047bolts.jpg

With the interior flooring repaired, closing the body back up was a priority. We needed to get the windows back in and weather stripping.

We 3D printed the gear required for the rear tailgate window and dad got the rear window and tailgate back in.
048rearwindow.jpg

Front glass we picked up from Cruiser Corp went in with a new seal.
049frontwindow.jpg

Also, dad used the the POR15 fuel tank kit to restore the tank we got from Cruiser Corp.
050tankrestored.jpg

Great progress. I remember driving to the glass shop with no front windshield and sitting on a bucket. Once the glass was in I felt so satisfied.

Dad has the 3FE running... he's done all the harness troubleshooting and she purrs nicely. So, with that confirmed it's about time to stuff the engine/driveline back into the truck.

But with an empty engine bay it seemed prudence to spruce things up a bit.

The engine bay as it was...
051dirtybay.jpg

052dirtyfender.jpg

053dirtyfender.jpg

He cleaned it up and primed it.
054primed.jpg

055primed.jpg

Snagged some LizardSkin for sound and thermal insulation.
056lizardskin.jpg

Got the firewall sealed up.
057firewall.jpg

And put down some color-matched paint.
058paint.jpg

059allpainted.jpg

Looking good! Keep going and do the axle next.

Looking good! Keep going and do the axle next.
Plan for the front axle is a disk upgrade. Not sure yet if that requires full replacement or if the 69 housing can have the knuckles/birfs swapped out... anyone here know?
We've got a donor axle and may go rear disks as well.

My folks are moving out to AZ in June... so pretty soon dad and I will be able to tinker on this truck together. I'm really looking forward to that.

I took a couple of shortcuts on my ‘69 build including using the JT Outfitters disc brake kit on all four wheels. Direct bolt on and I am happy with it. I can stop on a dime. I originally wanted to stay all Toyota but…anyway the JTO kit was about a grand plus extra for the needed brake booster and adapter plate. Also meant I needed to go with the TSM parking brake kit which goes on the t-case which was another $400.

A lot has actually be happening with this project... I've just been failing to update.

Dad had the pig up on his car hauler after picking it up from the body shop so we unloaded it to have a closer look.

030unloading.jpg

031working.jpg

And we mocked up the used jerry cans we'd snagged from @riderjgs. Their used/weathered look fits the truck perfectly.

032jerrycan.jpg

The rocker panels turned out great. The body shop did a fantastic job and the blending/weathering of the paint looks spot on. The floor is in as well along with new seat supports. Body work phase is done (was done back in May of last year).

033rockers.jpg

034floor.jpg

035seatsupports.jpg
What is the stack of washers under the seat frame?

While on the topic of replacing the motor, does anyone have a clue on the OEM part numbers for the motor mount bolts? I've gone through the parts details/callouts and can't find the one that points me to these...
047bolts.jpg
You are asking about the bolts that secure the bracket to the block? The rubber mount has studs on either side.

Dad has the 3FE running... he's done all the harness troubleshooting and she purrs nicely. So, with that confirmed it's about time to stuff the engine/driveline back into the truck.

But with an empty engine bay it seemed prudence to spruce things up a bit.

The engine bay as it was...
051dirtybay.jpg

052dirtyfender.jpg

053dirtyfender.jpg

He cleaned it up and primed it.
054primed.jpg

055primed.jpg

Snagged some LizardSkin for sound and thermal insulation.
056lizardskin.jpg

Got the firewall sealed up.
057firewall.jpg

And put down some color-matched paint.
058paint.jpg

059allpainted.jpg
I wish I had cleaned up my engine compartment before the 3FE went in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom