1966 FJ40 FST Winshield Frame question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have a new project a 1966 FST. I confirmed as much as I can tell (holes for hooks up by door frames, hinges for soft top doors, strap hardware) that my project is a factory soft top. I have not worked on something this old before. The soft top bows were missing when I bought it. I bought a reproduction soft top bow kit. I do not understand at the front corners of this windshield frame what is going on. It does not have the square flared out portion at the top. I do not see evidence of it being removed. So how do the soft top bows fit into the windshield frame? It does have the threaded holes for the angle brackets. Any help much appreciated.

DSC04385.JPG

DSC04386.JPG

DSC04387.JPG

DSC04388.JPG

DSC04389.JPG

You retain the angle brackets and the door headers bolt up to the brackets. That windshield is not a factory soft top unless the channel has been removed? Do you have a tailgate?

That windshield frame looks different from the one on my 65 FST. Are you sure the windshield is the original? The truck is long gone, but I'll see if I can track down some pictures. At least the one I had, the windshield channel for the top was also welded to the windshield frame. It would make sense that someone would swap out the original FST windshield frame if they got rid of the bows to make way for a hard top. I've seen some windshield frames setup for the removable channel. My 78 had the threaded holes to bolt up the factory channel but both of my 81's didn't have them.

That is the correct frame for a soft top for that year they didn't have the square tab in the corners only the hard top did.The kit you have is made for later years but should still work.

Because it only has two bolt holes for the hook to hold the windshield to the cowl it's probably from a 64 model. Earlier had three threaded holes in the shape of a triangle. Almost positive my early 65 model pickup had the threaded holes for sunvisors. If the windshield was for a FST the channel may have been welded. Not sure when the switch was to a bolt on channel. So may or may not have the seven threaded holes. The channel for a 66 would had a bolt on channel shaped like the early weld on type. I have one off a 67 and it's still the old style.

I have a new project a 1966 FST. I confirmed as much as I can tell (holes for hooks up by door frames, hinges for soft top doors, strap hardware) that my project is a factory soft top. I have not worked on something this old before. The soft top bows were missing when I bought it. I bought a reproduction soft top bow kit. I do not understand at the front corners of this windshield frame what is going on. It does not have the square flared out portion at the top. I do not see evidence of it being removed. So how do the soft top bows fit into the windshield frame? It does have the threaded holes for the angle brackets. Any help much appreciated.

View attachment 1428681

View attachment 1428682

View attachment 1428684

View attachment 1428685

View attachment 1428686

This windshield looks odd but curious if you can confirm the spacing / distance between wiper motor mounting holes?

@Krondor thanks, i wanted to confirm as the guy i got this nos windshield from said its from early 60s ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom