1964 Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Nov 3, 2017
Threads
1
Messages
10
Location
Youngstown, OH
Afternoon All,

Currently restoring an early 64 F Engine FJ-40. Can someone guide me to the correct generator that used, this is all numbers matching, and want to keep it that way as best I can. Can someone help me locate one?
 
I would look at getting yours rebuilt locally at place like husky auto electric and be sure its the alternator not the voltage regulator that's bad first.
I haven't fooled with a generator since the 70's but I recall connecting it to the battery and if it spins its good - I'm old so that might not be good information.

Maybe there is something in the free download manuals

Google found this, might have part#s you can use or compare to the ones on your unit

good luck
 
^ x2

Not sure when Toyota went from generator to alternator (before mid-‘63 it was generator, by ‘65 it was alternator - that’s based on my limited experience base).
If generator, the link @charliemeyer007 posted above is a possibility.
If alternator, this part # is from ‘65 parts book 27020-60021. Auction site reference: https://intellaparts.com/p/TOY-2702...16yfdxaUY_rP3UIt1Orwdo0XZpXno5xrkRSaAU1O6KK6d

You might post a pic of your voltage regulator on the DS firewall. If original, that will tell a lot if generator or alternator. Another possible clue - do you have idiot lights for oil pressure and charge (CHG) or actual metered gauges?
 
I would look at getting yours rebuilt locally at place like husky auto electric and be sure its the alternator not the voltage regulator that's bad first.
I haven't fooled with a generator since the 70's but I recall connecting it to the battery and if it spins its good - I'm old so that might not be good information.

Maybe there is something in the free download manuals

Google found this, might have part#s you can use or compare to the ones on your unit

good luck


Not sure the eBay link is !the correct generator. Believe I've four of these on a shelf. Not sure the correct part number for 64. Not 100% sure 64 had a generator. The generator had a charge and oil light in the instrument cluster. What type cluster does this 64 instrument cluster have?
 
See that's where I am at right now. The owner before me clearly had the engine out and bottom end work done which we are reverting back to stock. It has a chevy alternator which clearly isn't stock nor the voltage regulator. So, I am hoping someone here has an all original 1964 that can confirm some parts for me. Personally, I would stay with the alternator, but being as I want a full correct restoration that a bullet I don't want to swallow yet.

Thanks for all the help. I will gather pictures for some of you asking questions!
 
IMG_4698.webp


IMG_4731.webp


IMG_4718.webp
 
That voltage regulator looks like the original VRs that came with generator’d rigs. Is there any writing/stickers on it anywhere? This is a pic Mark @cppilot posted in @andybudge ’s ‘64 build thread noted earlier.
IMG_0595.webp


The motor number boss looks to be blank (red circle below). If so, then IIRC that indicates a replacement motor. If it’s not blank, does the number match the tag on the firewall?
IMG_0593.webp


What does the info circled in red below indicate (it specifies the block casting date, i.e. motor date)?
IMG_0594.webp


Maybe this is all too much noise right now. 🤷‍♂️😉
 
Yup that looks like the generator bracket, I think the straight adjustable on top is correct too. I converted my 63’ FJ45 years ago, and believe I have the 1963 generator in a parts box I could sell if it happens to be correct for your 64’. I don’t think I’m going back to that detail myself..

IMG_0276.webp
 
I think it is awesome that you want to put it back to original. Regardless if it is working or not recheck everything. Replace components as recommended. It's not like buying a loaf a bread once it goes bad chances are you will have to have it rebuilt or locate one just like you are now. I have one with a diesel engine so I have extra alternator/air pump and extra starter. I rebuilt the original starter myself but it's nice to have a spare.
 
Yup that looks like the generator bracket, I think the straight adjustable on top is correct too. I converted my 63’ FJ45 years ago, and believe I have the 1963 generator in a parts box I could sell if it happens to be correct for your 64’. I don’t think I’m going back to that detail myself..

View attachment 4225464
What do you want for it?
 
That voltage regulator looks like the original VRs that came with generator’d rigs. Is there any writing/stickers on it anywhere? This is a pic Mark @cppilot posted in @andybudge ’s ‘64 build thread noted earlier.
View attachment 4225466

The motor number boss looks to be blank (red circle below). If so, then IIRC that indicates a replacement motor. If it’s not blank, does the number match the tag on the firewall?
View attachment 4225467

What does the info circled in red below indicate (it specifies the block casting date, i.e. motor date)?
View attachment 4225468

Maybe this is all too much noise right now. 🤷‍♂️😉
The frame, block, and trans are all numbers matching. But someone did some back woods work on it and trying to trace back the correct parts to make it era correct.
 
That voltage regulator looks like the original VRs that came with generator’d rigs. Is there any writing/stickers on it anywhere? This is a pic Mark @cppilot posted in @andybudge ’s ‘64 build thread noted earlier.
View attachment 4225466

The motor number boss looks to be blank (red circle below). If so, then IIRC that indicates a replacement motor. If it’s not blank, does the number match the tag on the firewall?
View attachment 4225467

What does the info circled in red below indicate (it specifies the block casting date, i.e. motor date)?
View attachment 4225468

Maybe this is all too much noise right now. 🤷‍♂️😉

Block.webp


VIN.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom