1963 FJ40 FST Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1963 FJ40 FST Jackasstoration

Finally getting around to working on my 1963 FJ40.

I decided to remove the floor-shift 4spd that was installed about 15 years ago by a local 4x4 shop and put a column shift 3 spd back into it. I'm using a 3-spd and tcase out of a 1965 FJ45 as the donor.

Question 1. How are the vibration dampers on the bell housing ears supposed to be mounted? SOR's schematic shows the PS stacked, two under the ear and the DS sandwiched, one below and one above the ear. If I install them this way, the DS mount doesn't make contact with the damper. I've got it in like this now, and it seems to be supported on both sides.
Cruiser Parts 001.jpg
Cruiser Parts 002.jpg

Last edited:
Linkage

Question 2. My shift linkage that was left is different than what I recall was on the 1965 FJ45. This thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/228873-early-40-series-3-tree-linkage.html

shows what was on the 1965.

Mine looks to be different, hence why I'm here in the 25 section asking. So I guess my question is, will this work with the transmission I'm installing, or do I need to change it out with the newer shift assembly?
Cruiser Parts 010.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket today. The old main seal was so brittle, it just crumbled when I pulled it out.

Next on the to-do list is to weld in a rear cross member, the original one having been torched out to install the 4spd.

Question #2 Looks like a mismatch. 1963 was a changeover year for transmission. I'm guessing your column shifter is for the earlier switch which was design to shift the early three speed with shift rods coming out the side of the transmission. This used two piece shifting rods instead of one single and one double on the later top shifting transmission. If I remember I can scan the diagrams of both early and later transission from the FSMs

Question #1 I would have to check a few motors to be sure but the pictures look right.

Question #2 Looks like a mismatch. 1963 was a changeover year for transmission. I'm guessing your column shifter is for the earlier switch which was design to shift the early three speed with shift rods coming out the side of the transmission.

Figures. I guess I'll go ahead and stick the transmission in and see if the shifter linkage will work. If not, then I guess I'll need to pull the steering column out and change it out with the later stuff.

Or, I could try and locate the correct transmission, but that may be a bit difficult.

Dan

I've already emailed Dan these pictures, but I believe this is the correct configuration for the mounts:

3/3 F engines from a range of years which I have access to are mounted this way.
IMG_2689 (DS).jpg
IMG_2692 (PS).jpg

Dave is right. I was looking at where the mounts were located not the order. The passenger's need to be flipped to match daves's.

If you still have the column from the 65 that would be easier than trying to find a good early one. Seems about half of the early running FJ40s have had them changed to a later transmission. The others are probably well worn. I do know of one in great shape but I know it's not for sale.

I learned another difference between early and later model 40's today. The cross member aft of the transfer case is shaped different.

I had two cross members from mid 70's 40's laying around. I ended up having to use parts of both to get it to look right. It took a bit more cutting and grinding than I expected, and it still needs some more grinding and some paint, but it's in.
Cruiser Parts9-16-09 001-rs.jpg

Last edited:
If you still have the column from the 65 that would be easier than trying to find a good early one. Seems about half of the early running FJ40s have had them changed to a later transmission. .

Agreed. And you will be happier with the system [read;more likely to leave it intact] with the later column shift anyways.

Your name came up a couple of times at the 45 run last weekend Dan.

AND I realized I could have called you about a visit.....as I was leaving Owyhee County last month!:doh:

AND I realized I could have called you about a visit.....as I was leaving Owyhee County last month!:doh:

What were you doing in Owyhee County?

What were you doing in Owyhee County?

Wife and I were on a 15 day mega roadtrip.NM,KS,MO,IN,OH,MI,IA,SD,MT,ID,NV and back to CA.

Actually ended up spending the night in Twin Falls!

Did you take highway 78 or 95 or both?

Replaced output shaft seals, cleaned up the parking brake assembly and installed the pto gear box today.

Hopefully get it installed tomorrow.
Cruiser Parts9-16-09 007.jpg
Cruiser Parts9-16-09 008.jpg

Can't install the tranny until I find some new bolts.

Got the transmission in and of course, the rear t-case output starts to leak. I did replace the seal, so it looks like I'll be ordering a speedi-sleeve.
Cruiser 10-03-09 001.jpg

I went ahead and pulled the Frantz toilet paper oil filter ( Toilet Paper Oil Filter? ) out and replaced it with an OEM style I had in my parts pile.
Cruiser 10-03-09 002.jpg
Cruiser 10-03-09 025.jpg
Cruiser 10-03-09 028.jpg

A buddy who sold off all of his Cruiser's gave me the filter assembly and three OEM filters. Can these still be purchased through Toyota?
Cruiser 10-03-09 027.jpg

I had to pull the old column out as I had remnants of the side-shift linkage left from the 4-spd conversion. The shop that did the install of the 4-spd, broke the shifter off the column.

I think I've got it all hooked up and shifting correctly.
Cruiser 10-03-09 005.jpg
Cruiser 10-03-09 011.jpg

Removed some more of the old linkage off the bell housing. I had cleaned it up and painted it not realizing it was left-over side-shift stuff.
Cruiser 10-03-09 017.jpg
Cruiser 10-03-09 019.jpg

Had to shorten the t-case linkage that had been lengthened for the 4spd. I cut the section out, and re-welded, hopefully it holds up.
Cruiser 10-03-09 030.jpg

So now I'm going to change out the front and rear ends. I have the '65 FJ45 front and rear ends but they are pretty hashed, all the brake lines need to be replaced and wheel cylinders rebuilt.

I think I'm going to stick a 78 FJ40 rear end under it and the front end out of my 73 FJ55. Both are in excellent shape and don't need any brake work.

The axles that are currently under this are out of a 72 FJ55 and half the wheel cylinders leak.

I'll need to find drive lines next. I've a pile of them and not one fits. I thought I had at least a front drive line out of my 45 but it seems a bit long. And of course, the rear drive line from the 45 is about 4 feet too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom