100 Series HVAC Controller - NAV DELETE - (OEM+)

Enthusiast Level vs. OEM Level

  • Enthusiast

    Votes: 21 21.0%
  • OEM

    Votes: 79 79.0%

  • Total voters
    100
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Realistically, this probably pushes things back around 3-5 weeks, unless everyone decides they’re perfectly happy as is.
I remember when this thread was started back in January. My first thoughts were "very neat but this will absolutely never happen". As the project progressed and started to take shape with renderings/prototypes etc. my thoughts were "this will be really cool when they are offered to the Mud Community in 3+ years".

Now it appears that this will have gone from just an idea to a marketable product in less than a years time and thats just amazing to me. I think if people have to wait a couple more weeks for a better version of something we thought would never be offered, it will be just fine.
 
I remember when this thread was started back in January. My first thoughts were "very neat but this will absolutely never happen". As the project progressed and started to take shape with renderings/prototypes etc. my thoughts were "this will be really cool when they are offered to the Mud Community in 3+ years".

Now it appears that this will have gone from just an idea to a marketable product in less than a years time and thats just amazing to me. I think if people have to wait a couple more weeks for a better version of something we thought would never be offered, it will be just fine.

This isn't a judgement at all but AI has really accelerated development of tons of things and it might have accelerated this. It still requires a highly skilled person to wield it but it can be an excellent tool. Not saying it has but it might.
 
This isn't a judgement at all but AI has really accelerated development of tons of things and it might have accelerated this. It still requires a highly skilled person to wield it but it can be an excellent tool. Not saying it has but it might.
OP would have to weigh in on that but I agree. AI can be a big help if you know what you are doing and absolute rubbish if you don't. I use it semi regularly in my job and have it site building codes to me that just don't exist lol
 
Version 3, coming up!

This was a sprint to get done before I leave on work travel for the day job this coming week, & then the Daniel Boone Back the Byway event next weekend (anyone going to be there?!?), but check it out!

1789827507477.webp


There's a bunch of little fitment lessons that we learned with V1 that this V3 design should correct - all with the goal of making it feel as premium as the rest of the truck. But the biggest & most obvious difference is the 15 degree upward tilt on the display - this should mitigate any viewing any issues!
(Unless your eyeballs are mounted at the top of your head, touching the headliner. At that point you're not longer my problem haha).

V1 absolutely proved the concept & answered some important questions, but V3 hopefully locks down all the little items to make it someone thing 'oh that's niiiiice' whenever they adjust their HVAC - just like it should be in an LX. The LC version I think will just get carved out of a log with a hatchet - should be close enough for the non-Lexus folks. :rofl:

Speaking of the LC variant - I'm hoping to get the physical one scanned tomorrow before leaving so I can work on the CAD while I'm away. @ZCaptn has been very patient without his cassette deck, and I'd like to get it back to him!
 
Version 3, coming up!

This was a sprint to get done before I leave on work travel for the day job this coming week, & then the Daniel Boone Back the Byway event next weekend (anyone going to be there?!?), but check it out!

View attachment 4215694

There's a bunch of little fitment lessons that we learned with V1 that this V3 design should correct - all with the goal of making it feel as premium as the rest of the truck. But the biggest & most obvious difference is the 15 degree upward tilt on the display - this should mitigate any viewing any issues!
(Unless your eyeballs are mounted at the top of your head, touching the headliner. At that point you're not longer my problem haha).

V1 absolutely proved the concept & answered some important questions, but V3 hopefully locks down all the little items to make it someone thing 'oh that's niiiiice' whenever they adjust their HVAC - just like it should be in an LX. The LC version I think will just get carved out of a log with a hatchet - should be close enough for the non-Lexus folks. :rofl:

Speaking of the LC variant - I'm hoping to get the physical one scanned tomorrow before leaving so I can work on the CAD while I'm away. @ZCaptn has been very patient without his cassette deck, and I'd like to get it back to him!
I appreciate the thought about not having the cassette deck, which by the way for those that don’t know-you loose all control of radio and HVAC without the cassette deck portion. It’s rolling into the cooler nights here in VA. Not having HVAC control over this summer was a small price to pay to hemp this project along. Keep the cassette deck until you truly do not need it anymore.
I appt you and Mr. Anarchy for all you are doing!
Doug (ZCaptn)
 
Absolutely plug-and-play on the HVAC side. And, the harnesses feel really nice too. A stark contrast compared to the head unit harness. 🤣
I will say, the plug-and-play does end there though.

Proper 100% integration of the new head unit requires some splicing, and since replacement of the amp is a requirement with the replacement of the headunit, that requires some wiring too.

I plan to put together as comprehensive as a guide as possible, pulling from the electrical wiring diagram for each of the different years to verify each one is the same (or properly note where they're different). My goal for the guide would be to make it so that as long as you can match connectors & count the pins holes to find the correct wire, you'd be able to do it easily. Lots of pictures & diagrams. Anyone want to buy some amp brackets to support that?!? 😅


I've also thought about trying to find someone to do a custom plug-and-play harness for the amp wiring (which is most of the work), but I'm not sure how much demand they'd be for that vs just snipping 14 wires & connecting them manually. Thoughts?
In for the wiring harness
 
  • Like
Reactions: LJE
Different enough, not necessarily in how it communicates but rather packaging, that it will require its own electronics board and layout to fit in the OEM JBL Cassette location.
 
To delete this button I’ve circled and integrate it with the new hvac controller?

View attachment 4214836
As someone with 2 carseat-age kids, having a way to control the rear temp/fan speed/auto mode from the front like I can in my Excursion would be an absolute game changer and I would order one of these immediately for my 2005 LX. Having to get in the backseat to control the air in the back is my least favorite thing about these trucks. I am always running rear air so I'm indifferent about keeping vs. deleting the on/off REAR button but some way to control temp and fan and/or keep auto settings and just have temp control for the rear would be incredible.
 
ChatGPT sent me here during my many hours of research about options for replacing the OEM 😂

New to forum - just recently bought an 07 LX site unseen from Texas. Had a terrible aftermarket iPad style thing from Amazon, but luckily the seller provided the OEM – so I put that back in.

I’m ready to give you my money for the well thought out design and dev!
 
As someone with 2 carseat-age kids, having a way to control the rear temp/fan speed/auto mode from the front like I can in my Excursion would be an absolute game changer and I would order one of these immediately for my 2005 LX. Having to get in the backseat to control the air in the back is my least favorite thing about these trucks. I am always running rear air so I'm indifferent about keeping vs. deleting the on/off REAR button but some way to control temp and fan and/or keep auto settings and just have temp control for the rear would be incredible.

I have a 7 year old and a German Shepherd that ride in the LC all the time and here in the NW it will be cold in the morning but 75 in the afternoon. I hate having to crawl in the back to change it too.

More than once I have thought about building an extension harness and mounting it some where closer. The back of the center console would have been the most logical choice. No clue why they didnt mount it in the area circled. So stupid.
console.webp
 
I have a 7 year old and a German Shepherd that ride in the LC all the time and here in the NW it will be cold in the morning but 75 in the afternoon. I hate having to crawl in the back to change it too.

More than once I have thought about building an extension harness and mounting it some where closer. The back of the center console would have been the most logical choice. No clue why they didnt mount it in the area circled. So stupid. View attachment 4216610
While I'd bet that full control over the rear HVAC is beyond the scope of this effort (Anarchy would have to chime in for sure though), lemme know if you'd like a clean mounting setup to relocate that panel, haha.
 
While I'd bet that full control over the rear HVAC is beyond the scope of this effort (Anarchy would have to chime in for sure though), lemme know if you'd like a clean mounting setup to relocate that panel, haha.
I'll keep it in mind! I dont think it would be that hard to either extend that harness or possibly take whats there (depending on where it comes from) and route it back towards the front of the truck. Should be plenty of harness seeing its up on the ceiling lol

While annoying its not high up on the priority list at the moment.
 
I have a 7 year old and a German Shepherd that ride in the LC all the time and here in the NW it will be cold in the morning but 75 in the afternoon. I hate having to crawl in the back to change it too.

More than once I have thought about building an extension harness and mounting it some where closer. The back of the center console would have been the most logical choice. No clue why they didnt mount it in the area circled. So stupid. View attachment 4216610

Funny. My mind went to the same place after I posted my reply above. An extension harness and relocation of the rear panel may be the move. Then 3d print a fill panel for the headliner and some sort of mount for the panel elsewhere.
 
The GX's have the rear ac in the back of the center console where you circled. Us LX guys get rear audio controls there. Which are completely useless once you install an aftermarket headunit.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom