100 Series General Tech and Classifieds (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea I didn't even want to bring up a 60. Not even close to comparison. I just sold my 80 to get another 60...

You sold your 4spd swapped 62 to buy the LX and now you sold the LX to by a 60... So when its time to rebuild the t-case this time, we should be able to do it in half the time :D

And when did said sale occur?

Plenty of good 100's in the 5-7k range. About $5k in service and they're good to go for a long time. Solid deal for $10-12k truck. Supposedly there is a new land cruiser announcement coming from Toyota. If it's the 200 replacement, I'm guessing the price of those will start to rapidly fall.

You sold your 4spd swapped 62 to buy the LX and now you sold the LX to by a 60... So when its time to rebuild the t-case this time, we should be able to do it in half the time :D

And when did said sale occur?
What can I say, I'm indecisive :D

Sold the 80 about 3 weeks ago. I'm going to pick up the new 60 in 2 weeks in Charleston.

image.jpg
80s to me are the least desirable LC available but I'm in the minority.

Clearly...

No doubt the 80 is the best LC out of the box as far as offroad capabilities. My LX would run circles around my 62 or 100, but as far as having that classic, vintage, fun experience of driving and owning a LC it was pretty tame/boring for me.

100>80

Anything that needs a solid axle is going to test the sheetmetal too much for a wagon.

Plus of course there is this

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG
While I loved my 80, I spent far more on large maintenance items on it than I've spent on my 3rd Gen 4Runner and my 100 Series...combined.

My 80 was a 97 40th and not a lemon...just had Mud-typical needs from too-often rotor and brake pad replacement, to starter contacts, birf replacement, front-end rebuilds, 3 radiators and a major head gasket service.

In comparison, the Runner and 100 have needed very little.

I sold the 80 with 230Kish Miles and currently have 294K on the Runner and 224K on the 100.

Still wish I had my 97 though...

Last edited:
I finally got the nerve up to take a mirror and peek under my ABS to see if I've got a time bomb.

Completely clean. 19 years.

Garage kept for the win.

I love my 80. It's been an awesome truck, and I really like the way it drives. Plus, although not yet considered retro, I think an 80 looks as good or better as any other Land Cruiser series.

All that being said, my 100 just seems to do everything I want it to do just a little better than the 80. It's smoother. By no means is it "strong," but it has LOADS more power than the 80. The a/c (both of them) is better. It stops better. It gets at least the same gas mileage. It's quieter, etc.........basically, compared to an 80 - at least how I use a Land Cruiser - the 100 is just an all around "better" vehicle.

Would I get rid of my 80? Not a chance.

Stark light bulb on one of the low beams started flickering tonight. 10 months old.

I have a few ideas but need a test mule for research and testing. Don't want to post anything for fear a noob will stumble on this thread and unexpectedly turn themselves into a lab rat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom