1 Stall Build up (1/75 Forty) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BDSeff1fitty

1987 Toyota 4Runner
Threads
a little history about me and why i chose the 40:
my names garrett, 19 years old going to college full time. last fall at auburn my friend had an 84 toyota truck (think hes a member on mud) basically stock w/ 33's that truck would go any where and out perform my f150 constantly and basically he made me a yota fan quickly. at first i kinda looked for a truck like his but decided id rather have an SUV style vehicle to have a 2nd row of seats if i wanted and just storage inside where nothing would get rained on. so i looked and decided a 40 was a cool vehicle and i had never seen one before. after looking in every city on craigslist (yes it takes as long as you'd think) i found one, talked to the owner so i bought it. got it shipped here the day i moved home from auburn, so you bet your ass i was speeding home to see it. well i get home and start looking at it the front half looked good except for some welds for the spring over, then i looked at the back (always ask for tons of photos if your buying site unseen) the PO's version of rust repair which i was expecting rust but not this.

this is a photo from the add (it was for sale on here i believe but craigslist is where i first found it)

Fj40.jpg

by new years i was almost ready for the body to come off. every body mount bolt but 2 snapped and i was being cheap and didn't wanna buy an impact wrench so it took for ever

Body.jpg

talked my dad into helping me for a few minutes to pull the body. i went to get the neighbor to help and by the time i came back my dad and his friend had the body off and moved into the garage.... so its sitting up against the wall until im ready to work on it

Driving2.jpg

around this time someone posted up here they had a hard top and ambulance doors and how much they should ask 500? in a thread. i replied to it and asked where he lived. lucky me he lived in houston, i went to his house that week and picked it up. hard top and ambulance doors were rust free and all glass was good. there is one small dent on one door but thats the only flaw to the whole thing. so i figured i got a steal on it, even tho it wasn't in my budget i know i would end up spending atleast double that if i waited.
2 days after my 19th birthday i decided it was time to pull the motor. so me and a friend got busy.

DSC00307-1.jpg

for some reason the PO i guess liked lime green....
he said the 350 in there ran when he bought it but had not started it and i had it taken to a shop and they said they wanted to re-build it and were asking $1800 i could buy a new crate for under that and use my edlebrock intake and carb and anything i needed on it. so i decided what the hell ill go back to a 2f, so i bought a 86 2f off 40's rock and sold the v8 and the downey adapter kit. got the motor mounts off another member and came out fairly close to even on the swap and have a good motor.

DSC00310.jpg

my rear bumper was worthless so i took it off and upgraded to a man-a-fre bumper, well i decided since my SOA was done so crappy i would have a shop fix it and put my bumper on, give me some d-ring mounts on the bumper and put some good welds on the frame for the suspension and motor mounts.
i also had him re-build my front axle for me since i just didn't have the knowledge or resources to do it. i also cleaned up my leaf packs and got a rolling chassis 2 nights ago a 4:30 AM.

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

we noticed my shackle pins were stripped so i will have to order new ones, right now i just have 2 bolts running thru so we could get it together and get to bed.

Last edited:
wayyyy better starting rig than what i had..

when you seem to have hit a snag read about it till you feel like you've got a clue and then go to it head on.. it probably won't be a as bad as you might think. I started building mine when i was 19 too.. that was 3 years ago but i really haven't spent too much time on it since i had school and other things keeping me busy

yours already looks great!

well i get home and start looking at it the front half looked good except for some welds for the spring over, then i looked at the back (always ask for tons of photos if your buying site unseen) the PO's version of rust repair which i was expecting rust but not this.

What?

I don't see pics of whatever it was that you weren't expecting.

Looks like a good starting point! And good on you for putting a 2F back into it.

Dan

wayyyy better starting rig than what i had..

when you seem to have hit a snag read about it till you feel like you've got a clue and then go to it head on.. it probably won't be a as bad as you might think. I started building mine when i was 19 too.. that was 3 years ago but i really haven't spent too much time on it since i had school and other things keeping me busy

yours already looks great!

What?

I don't see pics of whatever it was that you weren't expecting.

Looks like a good starting point! And good on you for putting a 2F back into it.

Dan

i never took photo's, ill have photo's of the tub when i get to that point of the build, its just where i can get photos of the rear at all right now. yal will laugh at the PO's rust repair. its really not bad, but its not what i was expecting at the same time.

thanks for the compliments.

got a bit more done since i last posted.

motor got put in about 2 months ago.

transmission and transfercase went in about 2 days ago. (still have AA twin stick to install which ill do why body is off for paint/line-x)

body and hard top went on last night.

7324_1125057895376_1495017324_30299949_3080843_n.jpg

ill get some pictures of my rust later and post them up.

truck sits a bit higher than i was expecting, partially i believe due to the terrible shackle angles. both are at 90 degrees or worse.

next step will be bracing up the body to start rust repair. not sure how im going to do this exactly as i want the job to look professional and my welding skills still aren't where i think they should be so i might tack everything into place and have someone with better skills help me out.

i ended up with bud built quarters
got rockers, rear sill, wheel well channel supports, corner channels from CCOT.

still need to order my wheel wells from paco and i believe ill be good on all the parts i need to get passed this step in the project

Last edited:
got most of my body work finished. still need to grind down about half the welds and patch a few small holes i have still.

Photo-0081.jpg

Photo-0082.jpg

took it to javiers for the roll cage install. snapped this photo while i was there earlier. cage is tacked in. still have the seat cradle, frame mounts, dash bar, and grab handles to go in.

Photo-0139.jpg

the panels are bud built. wheel wells are paco's. rest is CCOT.

going to do a rear spring flip still, and trace the back fender to keep the stock curve. and need to cut about 3" off the front to match the rockers.

I have missed your build thread in the past so I am glad I caught it this time. I have seen some of your other threads and posts and had an idea what you were working on, but now I have a visual.

You are doing great work. Keep it up. There are a lot of 19 year olds that would START a project like this, but it is a rare 19 year old that would see it through FINISHED. That takes tenacity and that is hard to find in teenagers these days.

Stay with it Bud, it is looking great and you are developing skills and character that will stay with you for a lifetime.

picked the 40 back up today from javiers. Made a few changes to the metal tech cage.

Photo-0152.jpg

Photo-0153.jpg

don't know what im going to do about a gas tank now, doesn't look like it going to fit.

Haven't updated this in a while so I'll make a list of what i've done.

Flipped my rear springs, cut the wheels wells to look OEM, need to cut another 2" off though so the tires centered and allows me to jump to a 37 later on. Don't have any photo's yet, will get some when the body goes back on.

Installed OEM shackles to drop it some, got 2" of drop from that, front will most likely have to be replaced later on with slightly extended ones. Will pull a leaf once its running, as its still to high and leaf springs have a lot of arch in them.

Finished cleaning up the motor, had Mark rebuild my carb and mod it some, still need to start the motor. Need to find someone who knows 2f's that can come by one day and help me get it started so i don't mess anything up. any volunteers are welcome.

bought mastercraft seats and sliding seat mounts, crow enterprise 5 pts, RCI 17 gallon fuel cell that is going to be mounted in the back, ATX customs fuel cell mount, aluminum radiator w/ efan, SOR's brake line kit. most of that will be mounted in the next week or so.

I deleted my dash pad completely, never really liked it. welded up the wholes, and drilled out the upper pad mount.

I installed my AA twin sticks a week and a half ago, install was simple. Will need to repair and recut tranny tunnel still, will do once body goes on at the end of the week for final fitment.

Made Half doors out of the early doors i bought over the summer from a mud member this passed week. have to finish up the passenger door, and then fill in the wholes from the rubber grommets. also closed up my driver key whole.
IMG00020-20101106-1539.jpg

IMG00021-20101106-1540.jpg

How's the progress going on this?

Sounds like where about the same age (I'm 20). What college do you go to? I go to U of H.

Progress is good. Sandblaster picked the body parts yesterday, going to line-x thursday evening. I will get some new pics before and after it gets line-x'd. Need to run some brake lines, re-paint part of the frame, and mount the radiator before it gets back.

i was at UH this last semester. i didn't end up liking it so i'm finishing up my couple classes next semester at lonestar then transferring somewhere permanent in the fall. I think i saw that blue fj60 one day when i was leaving campus, i nearly got whiplash looking back :lol:

got my cage and interior pieces powder coated and most of it put in. seats in, console, parking brake hooked up, brake and clutch masters, brake booster. wiring will start either this weekend or next. still need to order new brake soft lines and clutch lines and get those hooked up. starting to get close to finishing finally so shooting for drivable by mid summer before i move up to denton.

IMG00195-20110411-1236.jpg

edit: does anyone know of an aftermarket intake for the stock carb?

Last edited:
she is now street legal. drives really well, no squeeks that i have found yet. i have one leak coming off the tcase due to a bad crush washer on the drain plug so will get that knocked out today. need to go get an alignment today and then go measure for shocks and she will be nearly complete for now :lol:

IMAG0029.jpg

Is that red bedliner? Any better pictures of it outside? Looks nice!

Figured i'd bump this for the few who look at this thread. took it out to bridgeport yesterday, did really well. did everything i tried except one spot where i needed lockers to get up.

316229_2032139611852_1495017324_31625971_1948134569_n.jpg

310283_2032139811857_1495017324_31625972_327708061_n.jpg

311707_2032140851883_1495017324_31625976_424206850_n.jpg

299327_2032142011912_1495017324_31625979_1153008217_n.jpg

302575_2032142531925_1495017324_31625981_1040514275_n.jpg

300622_2032142971936_1495017324_31625984_518898568_n.jpg

317877_2032143371946_1495017324_31625987_1146562538_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom