Brake Pad Wear (Is this normal) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious, I've put a little over 30k miles on my rig and a complete PM was done right before I picked her up....

I figure since I do a bit of towing nowadays, I'd replace the pads before the wear indicator sounds off just to be safe :eek:

Well, today yanked the old ones out and they still had quite a bit of meat on them :cool:

brakepads30010.JPG

brakepads300102.JPG

Is this considered normal for 30k+ miles?

Mind you, I have a heavy ass roof rack with a bunch of gear :doh:

Rick

Look normal for a normal usage to me ;p

Buying a whole box brake cleaners is not, by the way :flipoff2:

Wow - that's really good on 80 series pads. Do you recall what kind they are?

I was only getting about 15K before the wear indicator sounded on a stock truck. The 100 series pads are doing much better for me now.

Look normal for a normal usage to me ;p

Buying a whole box brake cleaners is not, by the way :flipoff2:

LOL

In my shop, we stock that stuff buy the pallet ;)

Wow - that's really good on 80 series pads. Do you recall what kind they are?

I was only getting about 15K before the wear indicator sounded on a stock truck. The 100 series pads are doing much better for me now.

From what I can tell, they're OEM :cool:

They have the same numbers and a "tEA" stamped into them...

From what I can tell, they're OEM :cool:

They have the same numbers and a "tEA" stamped into them...

Odd, neither the 80 series or 100 series pads I got from CDan had a blue back.

Maybe they are remanufactured pads :D

I've never seen blue pads either. My OEMs are brown on the back.

My vehicles are about 6,000 pounds in weight and I am lucky to get 20-25K worth of wear out of them.

Depends on the usage and the pad composition:

On my 62 I get 80K+ miles out of each set of OEM pads;90 highway/10 city.
On my 80 I get about 50K miles, mix 70 highway/30 city.

In Iraq driving like a Tasmanian devil in an armored Landcruiser(HJ-105); 3K miles
And at that point, the rotors were done also; I mean down to nothing; one fractured and pieces fell off when we serviced it.

g

I've never seen blue pads either. My OEMs are brown on the back.

The ones I just got from CDan less than 2 months ago were blue :cool:

Wow! 30K and you're complaining? I've never gotten more than 15K on my fronts. All my 80 series pads from Dan have had the green backing. On my first set of 100 series pads right now and they've got a brown back side.

Wow! 30K and you're complaining? I've never gotten more than 15K on my fronts. All my 80 series pads from Dan have had the green backing. On my first set of 100 series pads right now and they've got a brown back side.

LOL

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why I'm getting double the life than the average driver :confused:

She's running a lot of heavy weight on a daily basis as well as a trailer through stop and go City driving :doh:

Guessing it's because I'm within the minority that's still running stock sized rubber :eek:

The blue pads are newer 100's;)

Is going OEM on the brake pads that important on these trucks?

Any other good/inexpensive replacement in pads?

LOL

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why I'm getting double the life than the average driver :confused:

She's running a lot of heavy weight on a daily basis as well as a trailer through stop and go City driving :doh:

Guessing it's because I'm within the minority that's still running stock sized rubber :eek:

Even when she was a stock truck for the first 10 years of life I never, never got anywhere close to 30K. I think the most I ever got was about 18K on a set of OEM front pads as a daily driver.

I do notice a huge difference with the 100 series pads now tho.

I've put about 30k miles on some 100 series pads and they still have about 1/2 to 2/3 pad material left. I switched over to 100 pads too soon to see how it did with 80 series pads.

The blue pads are newer 100's;)

You positive on that? Not doubting you but I ordered regular 80 series pads because at the time I was not planning to replace the rotors (which is suggested be done when switching to 100 series pads due to the different wear pattern). Dan sent me the blue pads.

As it worked out, I waited too long to swap out the pads, went metal to metal, and trashed the PS rotor. The rotors were already at 30mm minimum spec so they could not be turned. So I had to install new rotors.

Do you think CDan knew this was going to happen and sent me what I would ultimately need from the get go...I'm hearing Twighlight Zone music in the background :eek:

I went through rear pads way too quickly with little wear on the fronts. The LSPV was improperly adjusted (... still is I think.)

-B-

I got my fronts done in May, and I'm hearing the scratching noise when I drive. Unfortunately, having 9 cents in my checking account is preventing me from getting them changed. Go me!

And my gas light came on when I was driving last night.

Is going OEM on the brake pads that important on these trucks?

Any other good/inexpensive replacement in pads?

UHHMM...Yes! All other pads suck!

Get OEM from Dan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom