Bold/Nut sizes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota body bolts, generally 6m
Bolts used my my Land Cruiser's PO to install the V8 and fawking adapter plate: whatever he had in a coffee can.:mad:

Toyota body bolts, generally 6m
Bolts used my my Land Cruiser's PO to install the V8 and fawking adapter plate: whatever he had in a coffee can.:mad:

M6x1.0 you mean. ;)

Pretty simple really: if you need a 10mm socket it's M6x1.0
If you need the 12mm socket it's M8x1.25.
If you need a 13mm socket it's not a toyota bolt, but still M8.

That's good for 99% of Toyota trucks, as far back as I know.

It took me about 6 years, but I have now rid the faux-lux of all PO SAE hardware. You will never require a standard wrench on the faux lux (or any of our Toyotas for that matter). The first standard bolts will probably be whenever I get around to putting a winch on.

Dan

It took me about 6 years, but I have now rid the faux-lux of all PO SAE hardware. You will never require a standard wrench on the faux lux (or any of our Toyotas for that matter).

Actually...

Seatbelt bolts are 7/16" fine thread (20tpi). This is an industry standard, I think it is a DOT requirement. A 14mm wrench will take them out, but actually they are 9/16".

And for another odd one... our Highlander developed a "no heat" issue last week. Turns out this is a very common problem with this generation, all caused by a locknut on the temp control pot under the knob. What happens is the nut gradually gets loose, allowing the pot to wobble back and forth under the dash, which breaks the 3 wires that connect inside control unit. Many people have forked out $900+ to Toyota for a whole new unit, when actually all you have to do is tighten up the locknut, and if the wires are broken just re-solder them. Sure enough, when I pulled the knob off, the locknut was loose. No metric socket would fit it, I had to use a 3/8" deep socket.

Last edited:
Couple of odd ones:

Grease zerks on driveshaft are 7mm.
Torsion bar adjusters are 22mm.
Most aftermarket U-bolts are 22mm, but I think the OEM ones are only 19mm.
Drain & fill plugs for axles, fill plugs for tranny are 24mm.

54mm thin wall for front hub nuts.

Both wrenches and sockets are needed. Also drive shaft flange bolts and nuts require duplicate wrenches of the same size. There isn't the room for a socket to fit.

I put together an insane list last year. https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/239656-hilux-4runner-tool-kit.html It needs pairing down to remove duplicates not needed. Another list attempt: https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/96161-minimum-socket-sizes-trail-tools.html I think there was another thread with a good list I can't seam to locate.

Also drive shaft flange bolts and nuts require duplicate wrenches of the same size. There isn't the room for a socket to fit.

Most are 14mm on both ends. I have a Snap-on wobble impact socket that actually works with the driveshaft bolts, makes things much easier. Something about that socket, it fits into tighter spaces than any others.

Klf my front drive shaft flange the bolt head is 14mm the nut was 12mm, i think i replaced them with 14mm when i replaced my transfer-case. but stock they were 12mm

Most are 14mm on both ends. I have a Snap-on wobble impact socket that actually works with the driveshaft bolts, makes things much easier. Something about that socket, it fits into tighter spaces than any others.
I had a regular Craftsman socket I could get to fit, but that tool set got stolen and my current set won't fit.

Klf my front drive shaft flange the bolt head is 14mm the nut was 12mm, i think i replaced them with 14mm when i replaced my transfer-case. but stock they were 12mm
Mine are both 14mm stock, 1994 4x4 Mini Truck.

Yup, that's why I said "most". My '84 had 12mm heads on the bolts, the nuts were 14mm. Both are 14mm on the '87.

Actually...

Seatbelt bolts are 7/16" fine thread (20tpi). This is an industry standard, I think it is a DOT requirement. A 14mm wrench will take them out, but actually they are 9/16".

Funny, I seriously debated mentioning the seat belt bolts. They are indeed SAE, and have been on every Toyota I've looked at (the newest is my '91, the oldest being the 40s). I hate the DOT so much every time I take them out, because I'm anal retentive about these things.

Dan

Yup, that's why I said "most". My '84 had 12mm heads on the bolts, the nuts were 14mm. Both are 14mm on the '87.

yep i changed mine to the 14mm nuts, because i had to crawl back out to get a 12mm wrench, and it happened when i rebuilt my knuckles too, i pulled the diff, because i had a vibration and wanted to make sure it was alright.

IFS steering box / pitman arm nut : 1 1/4" (real tight) or 32mm

Actually...

Thanks. That info saved me some time. I didn't know where I was going to find an 11mm x 125 tap to chase the threads.

It sure would be nice to have a list and diagram of hardware for the timing chain cover. I've found some diagrams but they lack the true metric size and thread pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom