Motor spewing oil from "here"... What is it and WHY!!! Arrgh!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can build just about anything out of wood, but, I will will always be a noob when it comes to engines..

What is the reason that oil is spewing from this plug location? I know that I am going to have the head redone, I am pulling that tonight, but WHY would that plug have blown? I will obviously need to fix that..

Thanks in advance.
DSC08155.jpg

DSC08154.jpg

Too many threads about this one.

Happening alot. Hope you caught it before you lost all oil.

Mine is not leaking. But at 250k miles, it is probably inevitable. Has anyone tried cleaning up the area real good and applying JB Weld over the plug? Do you think this would help keep it from leaking/blowing out?

Plug it with Toyota plug, next time you pull the head, tap and plug it with a bolt. mike

Thanks for all of the great info guys. Yes there are plenty of threads about this.

Looks like with careful shard management, you can install an M6x1.5 or an M8x1.25 without drilling and head removal. Just need to be careful and keep the tap greased
Thankfully, I did not have any issues till this morning when I drove down to the beach to check the surf. I got home and saw the trail of oil.. All of about 1/4 mile in all..
It is now sittng in my my rear yard and ready for the work.
My larger concern is that there is some problem in the engine that has caused this plug to blow??

Thanks again!

no its just a common problem plug it and be done with it.

Do NOT drive the truck until you get that fixed !! Engine failure could result. If the plug fails completely (has it already?) you will have ZERO oil pressure.... Not good at 70 mph

Last edited:
You've been lucky on that one; horror stories of people on the road not noticing 'till its too late.

Is this just a 2F thing?

Is this just a 2F thing?

No, 3FE's have the problem too, and according to some, it's even more common percentage wise.

So just a small pipe plug tap and plug?

makes my butt pucker every time i read about this. i really need to find time to take care of this before it's too late.

Thanks for all of the great info guys. Yes there are plenty of threads about this.

Looks like with careful shard management, you can install an M6x1.5 or an M8x1.25 without drilling and head removal. Just need to be careful and keep the tap greased
Thankfully, I did not have any issues till this morning when I drove down to the beach to check the surf. I got home and saw the trail of oil.. All of about 1/4 mile in all..
It is now sittng in my my rear yard and ready for the work.
My larger concern is that there is some problem in the engine that has caused this plug to blow??

Thanks again!

my suggestion would be the 8x1.25 tap no need to drill and do it slow.if you are worried about the shavings here is what i did,i have a small pocket screw driver and magnetize it. it will pick up most of the **** inside and apply a bit of grease on the tap and for a final cleaning remove the coil wire and have some one crank the engine over until oil started to come and you will see that it will push out any left over metal install the plug w/ some loctite.

John:D

REALLY appreciate this guys!! Heck, this is almost as good as "The Gear Page"!

Waves were 3'-5' and I was heading back home to grab my stick..
I see a trail of oil, and...

Now the swell is passing and I have my truck sitting in my rear yard.

Mebbe tomorrow...

So, I should wait 24 hours in order to let the hi-temp Locktite dry?

Thanks again!

:beer:

welcome

Mebbe tomorrow...

Thanks again!

a couple hours and that thing is ready to fire don't forget to double check it after engine reaches operating temp.

John:cheers:

What was the purpose of this hole in the cylinder head to start with.... I noticed it on my I-6 after I was looking throuygh the mud forum?

Mebbe tomorrow...

Thanks again!

I have a Brother in San Clemente...he is in the surfing industry...
You in Cali?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom