Worn leaf springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once again, looking for some interweb FJ wisdom...
I'm noticing I have a very rigid suspension. My FJ really jolts whenever I go over the slightest bump in the road. I don't know if this means my leaf springs are shot? How can I tell if my springs need to be changed?

Leaf springs really only do a coulpe of things. They attach the axle to the truck, set the height and align your pinion angle. They can be stiff or flexible and everything in between. If yours are sagging and your almost riding on the "bump stops" the jots might be your spring bottoming out. If it is just very stiff that will jolt you as well. Having said that shocks can be very stiff at times. what generally fails in a shock is far more likely to make it feel like the truck is ust bouncing down the road and you still feel potholes 30 seconds after you went over them. My guess is that you have very stiff springs and if you have removed heavy items from your rig ie. Top, doors, 2f, winch etc... then you made it worse. Add some weight and see if it rides better.

mines been doing that for 44 years ,might be your spring bushings are worn out or as others have said older springs usually mean a better ride .

When springs wear out the vehicle gets lower and actually gets a softer ride.

Only problem with this is that worn/weak springs allow the frame to drop down into closer contact with the bump stops. So, yes it is possible for springs to get softer as they weaken, but it is also possible for the distance between spring and bumpstop to get shorter. This will also allow bottoming out on the bumpstops to happen with a greater frequency. If my feeble memory can be trusted my 40 had only just over an inch of travel before I addressed the issue.

Don

X2 on worn out spring bushings

Thx guys. Will check out bushings. Thinking of mounting GoPro under car and recording what's going to and to see if car is bottoming out.

Shocks have been known to sieze up and become like a solid piece. That would definitely stiffen the ride.

If the springs are too short - so short that the shackles are vertical instead of angled to the front or rear the ride will be pretty stiff.

If non-OEM shackle bolts without shoulders are used they can be overtightened which will limit their movement and stiffen the ride.

All three of these faults, any or all, can occur when using some poorly designed (read "low cost") lift kits.

You can easily see the shackle angles and if the shackles have a center strut and the sides bow inward at the bolts it'll be easy to say that they're overtightened.

Shocks have been known to sieze up and become like a solid piece. That would definitely stiffen the ride.

If the springs are too short - so short that the shackles are vertical instead of angled to the front or rear the ride will be pretty stiff.

If non-OEM shackle bolts without shoulders are used they can be overtightened which will limit their movement and stiffen the ride.

x2 on most of these. The shackle angle will not be nearly as noticeable as the other two issues.

I've got a set of stock -40 springs, if you find you need them. I'm not emotionally attached to them -- as I replaced with OME springs.

Check the 4 corners by pushing and pulling up the body to make sure that the shocks are compressing and extending properly. Look at the bump stop to axle distance also - and +1 GoPro it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom