Wilwood Disc Brake Conversion on Middle East Spec 82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My truck is a 1982 FJ40 GCC spec for the middle east, these trucks didnt get disc brakes and I have just purchased a disc brake conversion for the front.

The truck has 16" OEM steel wheels which also have hubcaps in chrome like the 70's and older FJ40 that are in U.S

The rear will still have the drum brakes but I keep reading stuff about master cylinder and proportioning valve, it is the first time I buy or intend to install aftermarket brake systems.

What are the stuff that I need so the rear brakes dont lock up or have low pedal feel ie need to pump the brakes alot.

When I converted my '73 to Wilwood's on all four corners I used the master cylinder off an 80's T100 that had 4 wheel disc without ABS. Working fine so far. I bought a proportioning valve but have not had the need to install it yet. I made a bracket to mount it but tried driving it before mounting and it's been fine so far.

Thank you, I heard that I need to remove the front residual valve so the rears wont lock up (will have drums in the rear)

Thank you, I heard that I need to remove the front residual valve so the rears wont lock up (will have drums in the rear)

Removing a residual pressure valve from the FRONT brake circuit will not have ANY effect on weather or not the REAR brakes do or do not lock up....

Installed

2va1ufa.png

243q8g7.jpg

14y4bkh.jpg

Nice upgrade, I'm jealish. Very Nice looking 82.

What you'll need is an Adjustable Proportioning valve. I've used a Willwood for years... Racer has a Metric one which would be an easier install.
Without a proportioning valve your rear brakes will lock up too soon.

Last edited:
I will check about the proportioning valve.

I visited them during my Coffee/Lunch break and as expected there is a visit to the parts store for additional items:

End up buying

New drum brakes, shoes, spring kit, new bearings for the rear axle, axle seal kit and a rear differential oil pinion seal.

As you can see they are started the job and hopefully the truck will be much safer and reliable this year. The fan clutch has been changed and hopefully the temp's get lower.

New power steering fluid and new gearbox fluid has been done, in addition to a new starter motor.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG

That new fan clutch looks like an improvement over the original, but your fan blades are not supposed to look like that. Yours look as if they have been cooked - what is that black near the blade roots ? The fancy curves in the ends of the blades are not stock. I can't be sure, but it looks to me as if it has been run with a dent in the fan shroud that the blade tips were striking. I have heard that fording deep water will do that to if you don't slacken the fan belt first, but my first 2 40's chewed a lot of water without showing significant damage, and no, I never bothered to readjust the fan belt. Your alternator might quit working for a while, but it will come back once it dries out.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I like your truck and what you are doing with it.

Yes I should buy an alternator and a new fan blade, didn't think my fan blade was this bad.

You can literally rebuild the entire car by the amount of spare parts that the local Toyota parts store stock.

2moxzkp.png

rk37gp.png

Going to pick up my car on Monday, replacing the oil pan seal.

Update tomorrow is a Eid Holiday here, work resumes on monday

Latest updates till now

Ordered a proposition valve from Wilwood, should be here by Monday-Tuesday next week.

IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG

Drove my truck today and the brake pedal feel is very weak, open the bonnet and the OEM brake master cylinder is leaking.

I ordered a Tandem MAF Brake Cylinder for Disc/Drum setup with a Wilwood Proportioning valve.

Brakes are installed and should be more enjoyable to drive on a DD this winter

Rear brakes overhauled and leaks fixed with new gaskets

It now can be considered as a "drivers truck" mechanically up to date and safe.

6yefk9.png

igya9l.png

Just awaiting a new brake master cylinder, booster and a proportioning valve (nextweek)

Any issues installing the disk brake kit? I have a Saudi spec 1984 with drum brakes and I'm thinking of purchasing the same set up from MAF.

Any issues installing the disk brake kit? I have a Saudi spec 1984 with drum brakes and I'm thinking of purchasing the same set up from MAF.

Very straightforward install, no complications or issues what so ever.

Whilst you order it I would recommend getting it with a new brake booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Contact albert from MAF and tell him like the package that went to Kuwait

The truck is nearly done, I have trouble with the wilwood proportion valve as the foreman says that the brake lines will fit but will stay loose.

It doesnt stay in place, does someone have a solution ?

the car is still in the garage, we are having problems with the brake feel.

The technician drove the truck for 10 minutes and the brakes got stuck, supposedly the brake booster failed.

I have now ordered a dual diaphragm brake booster that is suited for disc brake applications and will report any findings. I am also awaiting a new proportion valve that I can control the brake bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom