1971 FJ40 disc brake conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been covered over the years but I’m trying to find the LATEST information and option.

What is the best disc brake conversion kit for the front brakes on my 1971 FJ40? I want to buy an all inclusive kit that doesn’t require taking parts off another truck. Anyone who has done this and has some advice? I’ve had to take my FJ40 to the shop 3 times over the last 2 years for brake work and now i have a leaking cyclinder. I’m over it with the drum brakes

The absolute best disc brakes are from a later model fj40 or fj60's with disc brakes. Or get a complete fj40 disc frt end. There was a Toyota large pattern knuckle and birf upgrade in 79 for fj40 and fj60's. Your going to be pulling parts and buying rebuild kits, and probably rotors and calipers. Its Tried and true . Go to FAQs and scroll down to frt ends, also look at tech links too. You'll want to service the knuckles anyways. The search function works too.

Last edited:
What is the best disc brake conversion kit for the front brakes on my 1971 FJ40? I want to buy an all inclusive kit that doesn’t require taking parts off another truck.
It doesn't exist to your specifications. The all inclusive kit that is out there is not the best.

Yes, buying the mini truck or FJ60 parts necessary to do the conversion is not as convenient. But it is absolutely the BEST option.

Call Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids or post a wanted ad in the classifieds. You can probably get all the necessary non-maintenance parts in one shot. Then but new maintenance parts (pads, rotors, seals, wheel bearings if needed, etc.) and go for it. If you need a shop to perform the work, I am sure there are a couple of LC knowledgeable shops near Austin.

Georg or Kurt for this IMO, as said above, doesn't exist in kit form however either of them can source all the parts nec. Now after you get the quote from either of them you will see why there is a market for what is out there.

This has been covered many MANY times and the answer is still the same, and always will be.
Find a donor vehicle/axle/“outers” and graft them into your existing axle or buy a factory disc brake axle.
DO NOT install one of the “bolt-on kits” that still use the factory drum brake knuckles, steering arms and wheel hubs. We’ve seen multiple failures and refuse to install these.

Where are you located?

We’re happy to help with parts and proper tech support.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Hi I’m in Austin. If you have all the parts I might be interested. Is there a SPECIFIC truck that has the better axle, hubs, brake options?

Hi I’m in Austin. If you have all the parts I might be interested. Is there a SPECIFIC truck that has the better axle, hubs, brake options?
Feel free to call us at the shop 209-475-8808 and I’ll be happy to get you set up.

Possible donor vehickes:

Any disc brake cruiser front axle from mid1975 thru 1990. That includes FJ40/45/55/60/61/62 and 70-series.

Any Toyota 4WD truck or 4-Runner from 1979-1985. Can not be 1986 or newer.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

My 2 cents on the conversion:

READ HERE :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom